GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,579
0 members and 1,579 guests
No Members online

Old 08-23-2023, 01:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
I wouldn't count on much in the way of expansion unless it's at big schools. Numbers are down at most schools this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihearttrisigma View Post
Yikes, first UNLV now Mizzou. I feel like we never hear about these (as an alumna of the organization) and I wonder what is going on. I hope we see some expansion at some point and slow down these closures.
Old 08-24-2023, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yikes, first UNLV now Mizzou. I feel like we never hear about these (as an alumna of the organization) and I wonder what is going on. I hope we see some expansion at some point and slow down these closures.

NHQ sent out an email about both closures in the last week. I'm not sure who their data base is, but I'm an alumnae dues paying member, so maybe that's how they communicate it? Not sure. Sad either way!
Old 08-24-2023, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

This is good to know! I could have sworn I was up to date on my dues but perhaps not and that is the reason? I get all the other emails they send out. I sent them an email to see if they can clarify.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangisj View Post
NHQ sent out an email about both closures in the last week. I'm not sure who their data base is, but I'm an alumnae dues paying member, so maybe that's how they communicate it? Not sure. Sad either way!
Old 08-24-2023, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Honestly, I think you're right! I wonder what the future landscape looks like for many groups as schools start to close or consolidate. Perhaps there will be a period, similar to when some AES groups merged with NPC groups. Might we see two NPC organizations who do not overlap a majority of campuses who might merge in some way if colleges begin to close or certain groups begin to close a large number of chapters?

(Thursday afternoon thoughts as I sit in a meeting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokat View Post
I wouldn't count on much in the way of expansion unless it's at big schools. Numbers are down at most schools this year.
Old 08-28-2023, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Zeta Phi Beta will be returning to the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss)

https://www.instagram.com/olemiss_zetas/

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 08-28-2023, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Honestly, I think you're right! I wonder what the future landscape looks like for many groups as schools start to close or consolidate. Perhaps there will be a period, similar to when some AES groups merged with NPC groups. Might we see two NPC organizations who do not overlap a majority of campuses who might merge in some way if colleges begin to close or certain groups begin to close a large number of chapters?

(Thursday afternoon thoughts as I sit in a meeting)
I know as far as the state school mergers in PA are concerned, that would be pointless, because most of the schools have the same chapters. The groups that aren’t there, aren’t there because they don’t “do” those type of schools, and with the upcoming baby bust on top of everything else I don’t know why they would want to start now.

Personally I think GLOs will leave NPC and operate as independent organizations before they merge. That’s just my take though. It might take an amount of cojones which I am not certain any of these groups possess.
Old 08-29-2023, 09:45 AM

With all the mergers in PA, it seems that it's really just a management structure and not a true merger. Greek Life remains the same on the campuses, and if there is overlap, the chapters don't merge. When St. Joe's acquired University of the Sciences, the sororities at UotS still operate as they did before. I heard they may try to integrate them into the St. Joe's system, but who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I know as far as the state school mergers in PA are concerned, that would be pointless, because most of the schools have the same chapters. The groups that aren’t there, aren’t there because they don’t “do” those type of schools, and with the upcoming baby bust on top of everything else I don’t know why they would want to start now.

Personally I think GLOs will leave NPC and operate as independent organizations before they merge. That’s just my take though. It might take an amount of cojones which I am not certain any of these groups possess.
Old 08-29-2023, 09:54 AM

Sigma Delta Tau is closing their chapter at Purdue due to low membership numbers.
Old 08-29-2023, 04:50 PM

Phi Mu is closing their chapter at Georgia Southern, Armstrong campus.
Old 08-30-2023, 09:51 AM

Sigma Kappa at the University of North Carolina-Charlotte has closed due to low membership numbers.

Quite frankly, I think we are going to see a trend this year and next year of many closings due to low membership numbers for both women's and men's organizations.

In other news, Alpha Gamma Rho at Clemson University(SC) has been closed due to RMF.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)

Last edited by LaneSig; 08-30-2023 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-30-2023, 12:57 PM

Completely agree. This is going to become the trend I think where nationals are going to start cutting their losses on chapters. It's sad, but they have to be smart with where their resources go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Sigma Kappa at the University of North Carolina-Charlotte has closed due to low membership numbers.

Quite frankly, I think we are going to see a trend this year and next year of many closings due to low membership numbers for both women's and men's organizations.

In other news, Alpha Gamma Rho at Clemson University(SC) has been closed due to RMF.
Old 08-30-2023, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Someone brought this up in the NPC #'s thread, but the bigger chapters might be the ones to survive all of this. Because of the sheer sizes of the chapters (for example an Ole Miss PC of 200 women.) vs a small university that has a pledge class of 10 women could affect the greek landscape in the future.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 08-30-2023, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiez17 View Post
Someone brought this up in the NPC #'s thread, but the bigger chapters might be the ones to survive all of this. Because of the sheer sizes of the chhapters (for example an Ole Miss PC of 200 women.) vs a small university that has a pledge class of 10 women could affect the greek landscape in the future.
I will grant it is estimated more than a few smaller universities will merge/close during the next decade, which will result in the continued loss of (mainly smaller) sorority chapters.

But wouldn't a prudent NPC sorority still want their more viable smaller chapters to thrive? They might best remember there are plenty of alumnae from these small chapters, too. Each type of chapter ought to be allowed. Variety in chapter membership numbers exists because variety in the size and type of campuses allowing Greek Groups exists.

It may be that International Sorority dues, chapter fees and Chapter Exec Board requirements (IE number of chapter officers & responsibilities required from same) could be manipulated into several size categories for seperate use by both large and small chapters.

If housing finances for a smaller chapter became an issue they may be encouraged to (temporarily) change the scope of, or discontinue, their housing.

Which NPC group currently has chapters strictly on campuses with a chapter total of 100 or more, and/or quota of 35 or more? And how would an NPC group even want that to be The Standard for each of their chapters?

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 08-30-2023, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

We've talked a lot here about how many NPCs have deservedly sustained major financial losses due to their getting involved in politics, making major controversial decisions, and so forth. Something's got to give and it may be that they decide to close several chapters.
Old 08-31-2023, 08:06 PM

The truth is that NPC has lived high on the hog for the last decade or so, opening new chapters and building new facilities, etc. Those good times are gone, and each organization, no matter how large, will have to decide how to fiscally manage this new stage. Membership is cyclical, and we are entering another low point.

I think many of these closures may not have happened five years ago, as the groups would continue to support the struggling chapters in hopes of a turnaround because money wasn't as tight. Now, they're just not financially able to do it.

If you look at the example of SDT closing Purdue, that chapter had been WAY below any semblance of campus average for years. This past spring, they had 14 members where the average sorority has chapter has 124 members. The chapter had struggled for at least 5 years to get close to average chapter size and wasn't successful. When it gets to that point, you have to decide when to cut your losses and move on.

@Cheerio, I do think that sororities want their smaller chapters to thrive. Every NPC organization has chapters of varying sizes. If your chapter remains competitive and viable on a campus, there would be no reason to close it. I don't think that is what is leading to more closures. It's the situations that have been left to fester for years in hopes of a miracle.