GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,321
0 members and 1,321 guests
No Members online

Old 02-16-2017, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

The CWRU Sigma Phi Epsilon charter was revolked last fall due to RM problems.
http://observer.case.edu/sigma-phi-e...ampus-charter/

Last edited by PKT4LIFE; 02-16-2017 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Spelling
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-19-2017, 06:22 AM
GreekChat Member

At the recent Tucson Alumnae Panhellenic scholarship luncheon, an Alpha Sigma Alpha alumna announced that ASA was presenting to University of Arizona Panhellenic in early March. There was a Greek Life advisor from UofA present and she didn't contradict this info.

Arizona has opened for extension three times in recent years. Two chapters (who would have been strong contenders in the existing NPC council) (previously) withdrew their applications (submitted in different years) due to lack of housing. There's absolutely no opportunity for housing at Arizona at present and none likely in the future, either. Housing is imperative in order for any chapter to be competitive on campus, let alone succeed. It's a tough campus with large new member classes (check IrishPipes' thread) and sorority membership hovering around 300 actives.

Hopefully ASA has a huge local alumnae base to support any colony they might undertake here. However, the ASA alumna said that she was the only one here locally and that she didn't have an alumnae group. Just repeating what she said, folks. The only ASA chapter in Arizona was at Arizona State, and it closed in 1964 after 12 years on campus. Thinking that any alums from that time will probably not be around. To me it's a Sysiphean venture, given the current climate at Arizona. I'm a realist. And I know the campus culture, as well as the general demographic of the campus. There is no room or place for a "niche" chapter (which is what any unhoused chapter would likely be categorized as).

Before you guys attack me for being negative, please consider this: I have my suspicions as to the why and how of ASA's being encouraged to present. Interesting that none of the other NPC sororities have taken a bite at the apple, is it not? I suspect wiser heads will prevail. No one wants to see a chapter attempt to colonize and not succeed. I believe ASA will do due diligence before undertaking a colony anywhere. Bottom line: until there is a satisfactory option for housing, extension/expansion is dead in the water.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Oh dear. It sounds as if anyone asked to present should run, not walk to the nearest exit.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Housing is important and really makes a difference. My organization has no housing at UA and we've been struggling for years. Our chapter size is in the 30's and is below our chapter average size of 55.

Last edited by PKT4LIFE; 02-19-2017 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Add
Old 02-19-2017, 05:17 PM

We had convention there liiike...25 years ago I think, and at the time there was a fairly active alum chapter there with ASU alums and transplants. However, that was 25 years ago.

AZTheta - I totally agree with what you are saying and not saying and this is part of why I was not doing the Myposian dance of joy over certain of our expansions. Especially in this internet day and age when a chapter isn't just a line on a college brochure, you can see the whole picture.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I know, 33 - I know. I'm still furious with the University for the **** they pulled on the housing front for sororities and fraternities.

Really, really mad.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:15 AM
GreekChat Member

I could be totally off base, but I would imagine that since ASA generally does not operate as many housing facilities as some other NPC groups, the thought is they'll be fine without housing available. However, there are absolutely campuses where housing is a make or break, and that definitely seems the case for UA.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:39 AM
GreekChat Member

G&Q, you bring up an interesting viewpoint vis-a-vis ASA (I am sorry I don't have a Greek Letter font b/c I know it should be a SIGMA and not an "S", 33).

What I'm trying to convey now is the bigger picture when it comes to housing for University of Arizona students. The Greek Life Organizations (specifically NPC and IFC) offer housing to a percentage of their members, and it's very reasonable in terms of cost relative to other housing options in Tucson. It is actually a competitive selection process to be able to live in the facility, because of this fact. It's not cheap to live in this town. A majority of the GLOs are situated on First and Second Streets on campus. Parking is provided for live-ins. They can walk to classes because they live on campus. It's a great cost-saving feature of membership. And the houses are quite lovely. The Kappa facility, in particular, is stunning; it takes up the better part of a block, and I believe it houses something like 70+ women. Sigma Kappa and Chi O have newer facilities that I really like. Housing is a selling point during recruitment and the sororities work on having attractive, comfortable facilities.

Is this giving a little more context to the situation? Speaking to the PNMS, the majority live in the dorms on campus freshman year (and that's a whole other story - having enough housing for incoming freshmen). They plan on living in their houses as sophomores, and also, for many, as juniors, if there is room. Those who don't live in the facility (house) typically live together in rental houses or apartments (and there may be a mix of women from different GLOs sharing off-campus living situations, because they form close friendships while in the dorms, regardless of letters).

OK I have probably gone on too long. Summary: yes Arizona is a campus where housing is a make or break.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
I could be totally off base, but I would imagine that since ASA generally does not operate as many housing facilities as some other NPC groups, the thought is they'll be fine without housing available. However, there are absolutely campuses where housing is a make or break, and that definitely seems the case for UA.
At the majority of our campuses, we have comparable living situations with the rest of the Panhellenic groups on campus and at some, we were the first to acquire housing. However, the majority of our campuses are not ones with very large, traditional houses. We do have a national housing corporation begun in 2015 and we've had a national housing officer for as long as I can remember. The chapters that do have bigger houses definitely have housing corporations of their own and have done since they acquired their property.

So we do operate and have our members living in housing at the same rate, percentage wise, as most other sororities. It is just housing of a different sort.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Tonight, ZBT pinned and initiated 56 new founding fathers for the new re-colonized Alpha Zeta Colony at the University of Florida. Congratulations and welcome to the Brotherhood.

ZBT:"BROTHERHOOD AND BEYOND"
Old 02-21-2017, 09:22 AM

The Beta Theta Pi chapter at Pennsylvania State University has been closed. The closure follows after the death of a chapter pledge in an accident at the chapter house.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...ed-fatal-fall/

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 02-21-2017, 01:55 PM

Congratulations to these chapters that received their charters this past weekend:

Delta Gamma- University of Arkansas

Alpha Sigma Phi- University of Iowa

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 02-21-2017, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

In poking around, looks like the Phi Sigma Sigma chapter at the College of New Jersey closed in July 2016.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone know how many new members Theta's colony took at GWU? They seemed very excited to reestablish and I hope it went well!
Old 02-21-2017, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhelrose View Post
Does anyone know how many new members Theta's colony took at GWU? They seemed very excited to reestablish and I hope it went well!
From the picture I saw, it was well over 100.