GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465

Old 01-16-2009, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I need HELP!!!!

Hey watzz goody...

well this comming fall i will be enrolling in to a college where i would spend the rest of my 4 years...ive given a thought to pledging a frat, but im having some questions...about what frat to pledge, i kno that this should be the last thing on my mind but hey, i need to get it off my chest.

My dad, a few close friends, and a few family members are Que's, but for some reason, i feel like i wont be accepted as a traditional que. I am a preety boy...some girls that i kno (sorors) told me i look more like a kappa...can some one tell me...should i keep the legacy, or pledge something else???
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-16-2009, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh harlemboi....

Please, please, please that while slang and shorthand might be appropriate for your facebook or myspace pages, on GreekChat and in interacting with other Greeks, you are strongly advised to step up your professionalism: spelling, grammar, and in some ways, formality.

With NPHC fraternities, even though our stereotypes are strong and international, I know many a "pretty Que" and "thug Kappas." What YOU have to decide is what is in your heart.

Take your time. Research all of the organizations. When you get to college, sit back and observe the fraternity men. Make friends with ALL of them, whether you want to pledge their org or not.

If you can't easily make friends with strangers, then fraternity life will be hard for you.

And don't do anything silly like get into fights or get drunk in public. All eyes will be on you no matter what you pledge.

And keep your interest discreet.

Good luck!
Old 01-16-2009, 06:26 PM
Banned

Sen took a nice pill.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Oh harlemboi....

Please, please, please that while slang and shorthand might be appropriate for your facebook or myspace pages, on GreekChat and in interacting with other Greeks, you are strongly advised to step up your professionalism: spelling, grammar, and in some ways, formality.

With NPHC fraternities, even though our stereotypes are strong and international, I know many a "pretty Que" and "thug Kappas." What YOU have to decide is what is in your heart.

Take your time. Research all of the organizations. When you get to college, sit back and observe the fraternity men. Make friends with ALL of them, whether you want to pledge their org or not.

If you can't easily make friends with strangers, then fraternity life will be hard for you.

And don't do anything silly like get into fights or get drunk in public. All eyes will be on you no matter what you pledge.

And keep your interest discreet.

Good luck!
My African-American GLO's class is teaching me all about the different stereotypes. It's awesome. My teacher is an Alpha Phi Alpha.

It's kind of funny in the class the white girls will go "the African American male" and the "Caucasian Female" whereas the teacher just calls 'em black and white. The white's are pretty careful, most of us have never had this many black people in our classes because UofA is only 4%.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 01-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
African-American GLO's class
That sucks.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
That sucks.
It's pretty rad.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 01-16-2009, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Sen took a nice pill.
It wears off in a few hours, hopefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
My African-American GLO's class is teaching me all about the different stereotypes. It's awesome. My teacher is an Alpha Phi Alpha.

It's kind of funny in the class the white girls will go "the African American male" and the "Caucasian Female" whereas the teacher just calls 'em black and white. The white's are pretty careful, most of us have never had this many black people in our classes because UofA is only 4%.
It figures an Alpha is teaching this class. One of our stereotypes is that we're know-it-alls about black greek history.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
It figures an Alpha is teaching this class. One of our stereotypes is that we're know-it-alls about black greek history.
Yeah.

"We're in everybody's business."
Old 01-16-2009, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hmmm. Why does Gregory S. Parks come to mind.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Oops.....

lol
Old 01-16-2009, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

STRONG WORDS. Thanks for the advice...are you a member of any BGLO?
Old 01-16-2009, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

You're welcome. I'm an Alpha.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlemboi View Post
Hey watzz goody...

well this comming fall i will be enrolling in to a college where i would spend the rest of my 4 years...ive given a thought to pledging a frat, but im having some questions...about what frat to pledge, i kno that this should be the last thing on my mind but hey, i need to get it off my chest.

My dad, a few close friends, and a few family members are Que's, but for some reason, i feel like i wont be accepted as a traditional que. I am a preety boy...some girls that i kno (sorors) told me i look more like a kappa...can some one tell me...should i keep the legacy, or pledge something else???
I agree with the person who posted below you. You shouldn't want to be apart of any organization, especially mines just because someone told you that you fit the sterotype of people in the frat. When thinking about going greek, you must always follow your heart, because this is life long, not just the 4 years you will be at the university. I pledged my 2nd year in college, after I had done ALL MY RESEARCH and knew what was right for me.

Good Luck with your future endeavors, school and greek life. Don't feel as if you did the wrong thing by asking or making this thread, because if you have questions, you should ask.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.A.P.A.N. View Post
I agree with the person who posted below you. You shouldn't want to be a part of any organization, especially mine just because someone told you that you fit the sterotype of people in the frat.
Fixed your post for you.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:56 PM
Banned

I'm glad I read ahead, 33girl.