GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,505
0 members and 2,505 guests
No Members online

Old 08-13-2004, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

sophomore rush

I am a sophomore about to go through rush. I did not rush last year because i was at a community college and only decided to stay there one year before transferring to a 4 year college. I've always wanted to rush and have been really excited about it. I've done everything that i know to do. I have recs for all sororities at my school, up to 5 for some. And I also visited with the sororities for many events last spring. I'm still nervous about being an upperclassman. A good friend of mine, who is in a sorority at another school in my state, told me that they cut upperclassmen first. Anybody that has rushed as an upperclassman and has some advice for me i welcome it! Thank you SO much!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-13-2004, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I went through recruitment as a sophomore and I think it was the best decision for me. Instead of buying into stereotypes of houses...I honestly knew what the girls were like in each and every house. I had made friends with girls in my house already (3 of them had lived on my floor freshmen year) and I knew that AChiO was the house for me. There are some chapters that do cut upperclasswomen early - but if a house wants you, it will make no difference if you are a sophomore or not. Good luck!!
Old 08-13-2004, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
The GC Search feature is your friend:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/se...der=descending

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Welcome to Greek Chat!

You might want to read this and the links provided within the post:
http://forums.greekchat.com/gcforums...threadid=54403

My recommendation is that you call your university's office of student life/Greek affairs and ask them about upperclassmen at recruitment. Different schools vary on their policies, even schools within the same state. Also, each sorority has different needs-- some are looking for underclassmen only, others are looking for a mix of under and upperclassmen, etc.

Your university can best explain their policy regarding recruitment and bids.

Positives:
* You have met the sorority women at your school and attended events with them. They know who you are and have an idea of your personality. You also have some idea of what they are like.

* You have recommendations.

To DO:
* Call your university and get your application in. Ask them questions about upperclassmen at recruitment. They have the tried and true answers!
* Read up on some Greek Chat Rush Threads!
* What are you going to wear? Get an idea of your wardrobe and what you need to wear to the events.
* Practice answering some questions like "Tell me about yourself" Why do you want to be in a sorority?" "What are your favorite things" etc.
* Make a list of questions you might ask a sorority woman like "Why did you join this sorority?" "What is the new member period like?" "What are some of the social events planned this year?" "Tell me about yourself" etc.
* Take a look at the sororities on your campus. Read up on their traditions, values and history on their universty web sites and national websites.
*Relax and have fun! Recruitment is a great way to make friends.
* Make it your goal to get involved with your new university. Check out the many great activities offered on your campus (see the thread titled "Greek Alternatives")

Good luck! Now... go call your school and ask about sophomores!

Last edited by adpiucf; 08-13-2004 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: sophomore rush

Quote:
Originally posted by smiles04
A good friend of mine, who is in a sorority at another school in my state, told me that they cut upperclassmen first.
I think everyone will probably tell you that upperclassman thing will vary from school to school, and even chapter to chapter. So it really depends on what campus you are on.

At my school we had maybe 3 or 4 juniors who went thru rush last year and got placed.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:10 PM

Sounds like you're pretty well prepared. Agreed that the upperclassman thing varies by school and region... I've seen sophomores, juniors, and even a senior receive bids, but this is in the Northeast.

If you're going to have more than 3 years to spend as an active, say so. Sometimes, transfer students find that not all their credits will be counted by the new school, or that the courses they took at their old school won't count toward their major at their new school, so they have to spend an extra semester or two in school. You can say something like "I'm a sophomore in terms of credits, but I just transferred here and I'm pursuing a slightly different major, so I'll be around for at least one more semester."

Good luck!
Old 08-13-2004, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: sophomore rush

Quote:
Originally posted by smiles04
I am a sophomore about to go through rush.

....snip....

A good friend of mine, who is in a sorority at another school in my state, told me that they cut upperclassmen first. Anybody that has rushed as an upperclassman and has some advice for me i welcome it!

Sophomores are not upperclassmen.

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 08-16-2004, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to texlahoma
i'm right in the middle of recruitment as a sophomore (mizzou just kicked off today!). i just finished my first day and i thought it went well for me. my RC's told me that the deadliest mistake a girl can make is to let the conversation lull.

by all means, TALK. don't talk over the person, but don't let the conversation drop off.

and not everyone thinks rushing as a soph is a bad thing. something that a lot of the women i talked to noticed was how at ease i felt. the question will come up of why did you decide to go through recruitment as a sophomore. just answer that question as best as you can (a lot of the women thought i had a great reason.)

i don't know what else i can say, seeing as though i'm only in my first day but pm me and we can swap notes.

best of luck!
Lola
Old 08-16-2004, 10:27 PM

I COB'd in the spring of my sophomore year. I'm very glad I did. Rush at my school is by no means competitive, so even through formal rush sophomores and juniors have just as good a chance at their top house as ayone else.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-16-2004 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: sophomore rush

Quote:
Originally posted by navane
Sophomores are not upperclassmen.

.....Kelly
For recruitment purposes, they are at many schools considered upperclassmen.