GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,279
1 members and 1,278 guests
znathanhulzeo24

Old 02-28-2012, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
maybe it has to do with the number of chapters at a college and the # of pnms. As Shirley pointed out, Texas and Bama have 3 prefs, as does FSU, Florida, Georgia, Auburn, and I am sure many more that I can't think of right now.
I know U.Washington has three prefs, which has been the case for many years. I thought there was some sort of formula or recommendation to be followed regarding how many pref parties a campus should have, based on how the schedule from the rest of the week is - maybe from the MOI? Does anyone know more (or have any clue what I'm thinking of)?
Old 02-28-2012, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I think Washington State went to 3 a couple of years back - could be wrong on that.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaXi_Husky View Post
I know U.Washington has three prefs, which has been the case for many years. I thought there was some sort of formula or recommendation to be followed regarding how many pref parties a campus should have, based on how the schedule from the rest of the week is - maybe from the MOI? Does anyone know more (or have any clue what I'm thinking of)?

NPC does have recommended formats for use with RFM:

http://www.npcwomen.org/resources/pd...20-%202009.pdf

Either 2 or 3 prefs is okay for any system with more than 4 groups.

I got the PDF link from here:
http://www.npcwomen.org/college-panh...urces/rfm.aspx
Old 02-28-2012, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post

Either 2 or 3 prefs is okay for any system with more than 4 groups
I noticed from that doc that it only lists up to 21 groups and 3 invitational rounds. Is 21 groups the max any one campus has? Seems rough to squeeze that into 3 invitational rounds, why not extend it to 4?
Old 02-28-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_or_Geek? View Post
Like others have mentioned, I think three parties are more common in the south as well as the really competitive schools, especially those with guaranteed placement. If you moved to two parties at those types of schools, chances are many PNMs would get one choice they liked then the one they felt like they'd been stuck with throughout recruitment . . . and possibly two they're not so excited about. Unhappy PNMs either way, but at least with three parties there are theoretically more options.

Makes sense, if you're guaranteeing placement.

For those at larger 3 party pref schools, do you find that PNMs feel okay with getting a bid to any of their 3? Or is it an "I like these 2, but I for SURE don't want #3" kind of thing? Do a lot of women who receive bids to their #3 stick it out? Or do they drop out?

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevara View Post
I noticed from that doc that it only lists up to 21 groups and 3 invitational rounds. Is 21 groups the max any one campus has? Seems rough to squeeze that into 3 invitational rounds, why not extend it to 4?
I'm not sure, but I don't think there is a campus with 21 NPC groups. Penn State has 20 (I think?), Indiana has 18 or 19, Illinois has 20 (I think?), and Georgia has 18. Those are the biggest campuses I can think of.

Anyone with better knowledge?
Old 02-28-2012, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

For those at larger 3 party pref schools, do you find that PNMs feel okay with getting a bid to any of their 3? Or is it an "I like these 2, but I for SURE don't want #3" kind of thing? Do a lot of women who receive bids to their #3 stick it out? Or do they drop out?

When I went through back in the dark ages, we had 15 chapters on campus. We had 3 pref parties. From my personal experience, I would have happily accepted a bid from either of the chapters that I ranked first and second. I didn't list the third chapter. I think three is sufficient, even for big schools.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
I'm not sure, but I don't think there is a campus with 21 NPC groups. Penn State has 20 (I think?), Indiana has 18 or 19, Illinois has 20 (I think?), and Georgia has 18. Those are the biggest campuses I can think of.

Illinois has 18 right now, and 3 pref parties. They post stats (which I am too lazy to go get right now) on how many women get their first, second, and third choices, and the number getting their third choice is very, very low.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

When daughter went through her recruitments you could only have 2 pref parties at both schools (WSU and UO. It may have been 3 at WSU even then but she dropped out before pref and had 2 chapter left at the time, so I'm not sure). Waiting to see which 2 she had for pref at UO really stressed her out due to a misunderstanding she had about the rules, but due to that misunderstanding I think 3 would have stressed her out even more.

She did have a younger HS friend go through at WSU with 3 pref parties and she did get her 3rd choice (daughter happened to love that group). She texted daughter to say she didn't think she would accept the bid. Daughter wrote a lot of texts/facebook messages and I think a phone call or two convincing friend to go and give it some time. Friend ended up loving her chapter - wrote daughter to tell her thanks for convincing her to stay with it, but a year later she transferred back to a school in our hometown that had no Greek life. If daughter hadn't talked her into it - I do think she would have dropped even though she had 3 groups on her card most girls at that school would have been thrilled with - just because it was her 3rd choice if that makes sense.

Last edited by AXOmom; 02-28-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

From what I've seen over the past several years, it really depends on the PNM. Some are happy with all three they have, some are loathe to go back to one (or two) out of their three pref parties. I have seen people who get their 3rd choice stick it out and love it, and others drop out. I don't think any of this would necessarily change if PNMs only went to two parties.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Either 2 or 3 prefs is okay for any system with more than 4 groups.

I got the PDF link from here:
http://www.npcwomen.org/college-panh...urces/rfm.aspx
Interesting - I didn't realize the 2 or 3 pref option was available in so many cases. Thanks for the links.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Illinois has 18 right now, and 3 pref parties. They post stats (which I am too lazy to go get right now) on how many women get their first, second, and third choices, and the number getting their third choice is very, very low.
Here you go:

http://www.odos.uiuc.edu/greek/membe...lenicStats.asp

It also lists the total number of women who withdrew and the total number released by all chapters and when they withdrew in the schedule.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaXi_Husky View Post
From what I've seen over the past several years, it really depends on the PNM. Some are happy with all three they have, some are loathe to go back to one (or two) out of their three pref parties. I have seen people who get their 3rd choice stick it out and love it, and others drop out. I don't think any of this would necessarily change if PNMs only went to two parties.
I think that's a fair assessment of what I have observed too.

The other thing we need to remember is that just because a PNM can have three pref parties, many of them have fewer than that. Fewer than three seems to be fairly common at the schools where I've advised (which have all been large and moderately to extremely competitive by GC standards.)
Old 02-28-2012, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Indiana has 20 chapters and will be adding a 21st chapter in the fall. From the Panhellenic minutes, one of their goals is to have 26 chapters in the future.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:

I think that Penn State still had 21 when RFM was being conceived. They probably just went with those figures.