GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,239
0 members and 1,239 guests
No Members online

Old 09-18-2002, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
Legacy's

Who all on here is a Legacy? What are the chances of a Legacy not getting a bid from their mother's (or grandmother's or sister's) Sorority?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-18-2002, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I was a legacy to Sigma Kappa, but we don't have one on my campus. I don't know of ant sorority that guarantees a legacy a bid. They may give the legacy extra consideration.
Old 09-18-2002, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

There was a topic about legacies not too long ago. I don't know what the title of the thread is, but use the search engine on this site. I know that in that thread there was a discussion about some legacies not getting bids.
Old 09-18-2002, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
Thanks I found the old thread...that had all the information I needed!! Thanks so much!
Old 09-19-2002, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

A guy in my pledge classe's brother now goes to SDSU, and yes, he is rushing Delta Sig. His dormmate, a FIJI legacy. has also decided to rush us, he already has his pledge name: he's Delta Sig's version of "Flounder", a very enthusiastic and fun loving guy.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:18 AM

Re: Legacy's

Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteDaisy128
Who all on here is a Legacy? What are the chances of a Legacy not getting a bid from their mother's (or grandmother's or sister's) Sorority?
WhiteDaisy,
I think there are 2 things that would prevent a legacy from getting a bid.
a) they behave so terribly at Recruitment that the sorority does not see a sister in them or...
b) if there are so many legacies, that there are more legacies than the actual quota no. (Like...say, quota was 60 and there were 80 legacies of DG or XO or what have you, going through rush.....I could see this happening somewheres, where Greek Life is huge)

That being said, being a legacy is not a GUARANTEE of receiving an invitation to membership...the legacy must be qualified in her own right.
AOII has an excellent article about the Legacy Policy of sororities here:
http://www.alphaomicronpi.org/PDF%20...ecruitment.pdf
(skip to page 4, I think it is)
Old 09-19-2002, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

me

i am a legacy.. as you can see by my sig... and no, your legacy houses do not have to keep you... at my school i know that kappa delta and kappa kappa gamma will give a bid to a legacy if that legacy thinks she likes the house.. most houses, just give you a secured second visit (like, you get to go to the house a second time for sure) but thats it
Old 09-19-2002, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to suzymoonspider
I am a Kappa Kappa Gamma legacy...but I won't be going Kappa. It isn't at my school. I was sad at first...but I got over it
Old 09-19-2002, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Just curious why some of the legacies in which their legacy houses are not at their campus, would not start that chapter there? It would be simple to get 10-20 interested girls, get the group together for a year or two, set some temporary bi-laws and such, then begin petitioning. (I know that sounds very simple, but in a 4 year period, it is way possible)
Old 09-19-2002, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
I was a legacy to a different group, but I didn't really click with the chapter here (my sisters went to a different school) so it was sort of a relief when they cut me. I mean, I wasn't going to cut them until I absolutely had to, out of respect for my older sisters...
Old 09-19-2002, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Ah,SigmaChiGuy, but it is not so simple... unlike when a new fraternity comes on campus, there is a TON of red tape with new NPC groups. The Panhellenic Council on the campus usually has to approve having a new sorority, and the sorority has to want to expand to that campus (and they are typically a little pickier than fraternities about expansion).
Old 09-19-2002, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to suzymoonspider
I actually wanted to start a new Kappa chapter- but because there were enough sororites on campus to fulfill the needs of the amount of girls who wanted to join- the campus was accepting new houses So I can never be a Kappa- unless I don't join one of the six and transfer somewhere that has a Kappa (one option I am considering) but that might be more hasle than it is worth!
Old 09-19-2002, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

suzymoon - just an addition to your post...

Even transferring to a new school with that org would not guarantee a legacy bid or that the woman would feel at home in that particular chapter.

In addition to starting an org and petitioning an inter/national. This does not guarantee a bid to the national if they do come on campus either. Most inter/national orgs will still rush the individual women from the interest group the same as any other woman.

Last edited by AOIIBrandi; 09-19-2002 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-19-2002, 02:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
I am a Kappa legacy too! but we didn't have Kappa at my school, so I found my own home in AZD. Even if Kappa were there, I don't know if I would have went that way if I didn't feel comfortable there.
Old 09-19-2002, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I am an ASA legacy However, ther is no ASA chapter at my school. I never thought of trying to start an ASA chapter because there is a lack of interest in soroities on campus.

-M