GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,379
3 members and 1,376 guests
John, Sarak24034, UofISigKap

Old 11-09-2013, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Creating a new fraternity from scratch

Hello! I am very interested in starting my own fraternity from scratch at my university. The greek system has always interested me and I have always found it to be something I would love to find myself a part of. However, I would like to create my own fraternity from scratch. I mean I wouldn’t want to find a national fraternity. Instead, I would like to create my own fraternity name, meaning, and create my own set of rules.

To begin, I would want to create an LGBT fraternity. I know there are a few out there that already do this, but I would like to create my own addition. LGBT people deserve to be a part of the greek system and feel comfortable doing so. I know it is a lot of work. I am a dedicated person and I know that I could make it happen. It’s just one of those things I will not let go. I can be a very good leader. I’m very organized, dedicated, and motivated.

What would the process be to create this brand new fraternity?
Old 11-10-2013, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmullins View Post
Hello! I am very interested in starting my own fraternity from scratch at my university. The greek system has always interested me and I have always found it to be something I would love to find myself a part of. However, I would like to create my own fraternity from scratch. I mean I wouldn’t want to find a national fraternity. Instead, I would like to create my own fraternity name, meaning, and create my own set of rules.

To begin, I would want to create an LGBT fraternity. I know there are a few out there that already do this, but I would like to create my own addition. LGBT people deserve to be a part of the greek system and feel comfortable doing so. I know it is a lot of work. I am a dedicated person and I know that I could make it happen. It’s just one of those things I will not let go. I can be a very good leader. I’m very organized, dedicated, and motivated.

QFP
Old 11-10-2013, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

There are multiple national organizations which already are everything you've described to us so far. Why are those groups insufficient to meet your needs? I can tell you from experience, even starting a colony of a major national fraternity with all of the support you get, the advice, built in alumni support, etc., is not easy at all. What you're proposing is on the ragged edge of impossible (but it obviously has been done, hence the existing LGBT groups). So why do you want to reinvent the wheel here?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-10-2013, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

@ all the red. Are you planning on being the only member of your new fraternity? If so, just pick some random letters that aren't already used by another group, make your own letters, and enjoy your party of one.

@ the blue. Are you aware that gay, lesbian, and bisexual people are already members of all established organizations?

Start an interest group at your campus. See how many people would actually be interested in joining a group that is solely for LGBT people. They would become your future brothers and sisters, so lean on them for finding an existing group. Stop thinking "I/me" and start thinking about potential members. A fraternity is NOT just about it's sole founder.

Last edited by IrishLake; 11-10-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Banned

The OP says he wants to create his "own addition" but I don't think the OP has really thought this through beyond his desire to be the center of attention.

Therefore, if there are no LGBTQ GLOs on that campus, the OP probably means he wants to charter a chapter of an existing LGBTQ GLO. I hope the OP has researched this enough to know that chapters can be chartered as opposed to founding a fraternity. If being geared toward LGBTQ is the only thing distinguishing this idea from other fraternities, there is nothing distinguishing it from other LGBTQ GLOs.

Last edited by DrPhil; 11-10-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I would like to create my own fraternity from scratch. I mean I wouldn’t want to find a national fraternity. Instead, I would like to create my own fraternity name, meaning, and create my own set of rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
the OP probably means he wants to charter a chapter of an existing LGBTQ GLO. I hope the OP has researched this enough to know that chapters can be chartered as opposed to founding a fraternity. If being geared toward LGBTQ is the only thing distinguishing this idea from other fraternities, there is nothing distinguishing it from other LGBTQ GLOs.
Considering he wants to create his own name, meaning, and own set of rules, I don't think this is the case.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Lambda Gamma Beta Tau has a nice ring to it.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
Lambda Gamma Beta Tau has a nice ring to it.
And nobody's going to know what it means, either. Very mysterious.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
Considering he wants to create his own name, meaning, and own set of rules, I don't think this is the case.
I was attempting to tell the OP what the OP really wants. Work with me here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
And nobody's going to know what it means, either. Very mysterious.
I think there was a Lambda Gamma Beta Tau local fraternity. It may be defunct. The website is down. Surely people have thought of the genius idea of turning LGBT(Q) into Greek letters.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Happy to oblige.*

*In the process of writing new lyrics appropriate to this thread
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 11-10-2013, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Something tells me this guy won't take that kind of subtlety, due to the leadership qualities and all...