GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,366
1 members and 1,365 guests
bapitytts7552

Old 07-28-2011, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Girlie AGDee's College Search Thread

So, I talk enough about her that y'all know that my girlie is obsessed with finding the right college for her. She wants to apply to 8 schools total.

Schools she knows she wants to apply to:
Columbia (reach)
Barnard (reach)
Brown (reach)
University of Chicago (reach)
Northwestern (reach)
University of Michigan (the 'safety' school)

Others she is considering but would like to hear from people what the school is like in general (not necessarily Greek life, she isn't sure that's something she wants):

Emerson: Any info is appreciated. Not familiar with the school at all.

Tulane : How is it post Katrina? Is it a really *southern* school? I don't think she'd fit it in a really southern school.
Washington University St. Louis : No idea how this made it on the list except she has been to St. Louis and liked the city a lot

University of Iowa (safety): She's worried that she reads a lot about this being a "party school" but she's interested in their creative writing program which is the best in the nation.

Anyway, she suggested we ask here (because Munchkin has been really helpful in answering her Brown questions). I suggested she create a User ID like KR's daughter and post herself and she thinks that would be weird..lol.

Her anticipated major is English, probably with a double major in a) journalism, b) Poly Sci, c) Social Policy or d) Communications with grad school goals of either A) Journalism, B) Editing/Publishing or C) *maybe* Law School (because of her love of politics).

So, any comments are welcome (Not being heli=mom, I swear! It's all up to her!)

Last edited by AGDee; 07-28-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I have some schools in mind that she may want to add to her list to consider (because she has similar academic and career interests as I do/did) but before I do, how would she feel about attending a "small" school (2000 or less undergrads)? Also, how does "prestige" play into her decision-making? Example: If she got into all of those schools on a full scholarship, would she choose the one which was ranked the highest?
Old 07-28-2011, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I have some schools in mind that she may want to add to her list to consider (because she has similar academic and career interests as I do/did) but before I do, how would she feel about attending a "small" school (2000 or less undergrads)?
She's ok with a small school IF it is in a big city. Small school in the middle of nowhere won't work for her. That's actually one of her concerns about Iowa too.. it is in the middle of nowhere.

Right now, if she got into all with a scholarship, Brown would be the top choice primarily because of their open curriculum. They don't have a required core so she could more easily get her double/(maybe even triple) major in and still graduate on time.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I added another question, btw.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I added another question, btw.
Not necessarily, but clearly, with that list, prestige is a factor.

Oh yeah, and Barnard is the only all girls school she will consider.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay for this thread! How did she like her Barnard experience?

I seem to spend a lot of time with Tulane people. From what they've said, it's not a Southern school like LSU or Mississippi State, but there are a good number of students from within a 4-5 hour drive. Long Island and the NYC suburbs represent pretty hard.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

She *loved* her Barnard experience! We have plane tickets to go to Providence over Labor Day weekend. She won't be able to do any "official visit" things but it's the only time we can get there before the Early Decision app deadline. We're going to Chicago in mid-October. She won't be able to do any other visits before applying for the rest due to Marching Band season.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Gotcha.

So here is my advice:

English is a good major nearly everywhere. Journalism is a stupid major. As an undergraduate, it will be far better to focus in English and join the staff of the campus newspaper to see if she wants to do print journalism, while also contributing to the campus literary magazine and taking as many creative writing classes as possible.

Do not go to Iowa. There are many good creative writing programs on the MFA level. But as an MFA drop-out, I must say if she's any good, she won't really need an MFA to be published or make connections. Just my opinion.

She needs more safety schools -- consider one or two safeties in a few cities in which she'd want to live. If she's considering Tulane (which is a great choice, though New Orleans doesn't have quite as many internship opportunities as a larger city) also consider Loyola University of New Orleans.

Also consider the higher tier and/or well known private liberal arts colleges: Swarthmore and Sarah Lawrence come to mind quickly, especially for English/writing.

As a Georgetown grad, I must say it's a great place for writers, but like many well-known universities with large English departments, a creative writer struggles to be heard and seen among the MANY people who major in English only to go on to law school or med school. That's one thing to watch out for at nearly all of the schools she's considering -- is the English department a true community of writers and literature lovers, or is it a means to grad school.

Of all the schools she's listed, Wash U would be my number one pick.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't have thoughts about many of the schools except I'm very excited for this thread!
Old 07-28-2011, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

She used to have NYU on her list until she saw that area while in NYC. She crossed it off her list then. She doesn't know that she wants to be a creative writer as a profession and that's part of her dilemma. She's really into political/social issues too and I honestly could see her being a political pundit someday... or maybe even a Senator or something. But, writing is definitely her gift.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
I don't have thoughts about many of the schools except I'm very excited for this thread!
You need to be... you might have to teach us how to get to Northwestern on the el.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
You need to be... you might have to teach us how to get to Northwestern on the el.
You can do that? LOL

I guess it would be the purple line, huh?
Old 07-28-2011, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
You can do that? LOL

I guess it would be the purple line, huh?
I know my friend used to do it when she was at Northwestern...
Old 07-28-2011, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Your list is strong. My daughter did a summer program at Brown and really liked it but being from Texas is was a culture shock to her. Very liberal campus and lacking social graces that you find in the South. That is not a "bad" thing, but it is very different. If your daughter is drawn to liberal arts based education and likes the big school attitude, have her look at....

http://www.utexas.edu/cola/progs/plan2/about/

(Plan II-University of Texas Ausitn)

I believe UT is pretty "non" southern for being in Texas, liberal (but in a conservative state...so it is relative) and endless educational options. Now as far as scholarship dollars...few and far between but some kids snatch in-state tuition waviers and that helps. They have a scholarhsip program that started this year called the 40 acres scholars, but they only took 10 kids, but for applications this year that number is 75. This is a full ride including a living stipend and study abroad grant for 4 years. Grab on to one of those and it becomes a no brainer. Austin is a dynamic city which I equate to an onion...endless layers.

Last edited by Eightisgreat; 07-28-2011 at 09:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-28-2011, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

That looks like a pretty awesome program. A lack of scholarship money would be an issue, even if she scored an in-state tuition voucher. Until she added Tulane to the list this week, she wasn't considering anything in the south. I was just in Austin for a week on business and saw a few layers.. and a million bats