GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,311
2 members and 2,309 guests
navane

Old 04-24-2003, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up for potential new members-advice from a recruitment counselor!

Hi everyone, I've seen a lot of threads about recruitment, and as a recruitment counselor for this fall I would like to give some general advice for women going through this fall and stuff to think about this summer!

1. Focus on having a good last summer before college starts!
2. Contact local alum clubs for recomendations!
3. DON'T STRESS IF YOU DON'T HAVE A REC FOR A PARTICULAR CHAPTER...it is ultimatly up to the chapter to find you one if they really like you. (at least I think for most chapters)
4. Don't think about sorority life your whole summer...it's not the be all end all of your life.
5. Put together a resume...on some chapters like/ask for that that...HOWEVER I want to stress again that if a chapter likes you and you're ment to be in there, they won't look down on you. (I could be mistaken on some campuses).
6. Keep an open mind. Many young women drop out of recruitment because one chapter released them. Everything will happen for a reason and you will end up where you're supposed to be.
7. Don't release a chapter becasue you talked to one person you didn't like...it's hard to get to know the chapter in a few days...try to talk to as many active members as possible and maybe visit their national organization's website.
8. Check out the campuses Panhellenic web page over the summer, get to know what their greek system is about.
9. Attend any orientation session that the Greek Life office holds...this is a great time to "pick their brains".
10. Shop for some cute outfits..but please don't go broke! It's important to look mature and put together, but it's not worth spending all your money when you could use it for maybe going out to dinner with the new friends you meet at college!
11. Be happy! Your starting a whole new chapter in your life, show your excitement for the change!
12. Don't mad mouth other chapters in your recruitment counselors group. There could be girls in our group who love chapters that you may not. Keep those feelings between yourself, family or your recruitment counselor.
13. Use your recruitment couselor to your advantage, they are trained to help you and guide you through the whole process...they are at your every need during the week. (WE WANT TO HELP YOU! )
14. Don't feel pressured to join a certian chapter...you need to go where YOU feel comfortable.
15. Finally...please enjoy your summer-relax, don't stress and get ready because college is a great time in your life!

Sorry it's long...hope this helps some people!

Last edited by kellbell; 05-03-2003 at 11:55 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-24-2003, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

opps...spelled some words wrong...i was in a hurry and didn't spell check!
Old 04-24-2003, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZetaMelOU
Re: for pontiential new members-advise from a recrutiment counselor!

Quote:
Originally posted by kellbell

6. Keep an open mind. Many young women drop out of recruitment because one chapter released them. Everything will happen for a reason and you will end up where you're supposed to be.
This is so true! Everyone I know who has gone through rush has agreed with me.
Old 04-25-2003, 08:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Arrow Re: for pontiential new members-advise from a recrutiment counselor!

Quote:
Originally posted by kellbell
2. Contact local alum clubs for recomendations!
3. DON'T STRESS IF YOU DON'T HAVE A REC FOR A PARTICULAR CHATPER...it is ultimatly up to the chapter to find you one if they really like you. (at least I think for most chapters)
5. Put together a resume...on some chapters like/ask for that that...HOWEVER I want to stress again that if a chapter likes you and you're ment to be in there, they won't look down on you. (I could be mistaken on some campuses).

10. Shop for some cute outfits..but please don't go broke! It's important to look mature and put together, but it's not worth spending all your money when you could use it for maybe going out to dinner with the new friends you meet at college!
* I just want to point out that this varies from school to school. If you're going to a school where Greek Life isn't that big/competetive, don't worry about #2, 3, 5. I never needed recs or a resume.

* I really hate that buying new things for rush is ALWAYS suggested. Yes, we all want to look good and make a good first impression, but if you have cute things already in your wardrobe that you would like to wear, don't feel like you have to go out and buy new things. I think the only newly purchased item I wore for rush was a new necklace. The outfit I wore for Pref was so old, but I got TONS of compliments because I didn't look like a carbon copy of every other girl. Hint: If you pick up new clothes at trendy stores, chances are someone else will be wearing the same thing. It's better to pick out key pieces from your own clothes, and THEN shop for things you are lacking or fun accessories to dress up your looks.

stepping off my soapbox now