GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,413
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, LarryByday
» Online Users: 590
1 members and 589 guests
davidsholzeo679

Old 12-12-2000, 11:30 AM

Hey Brothers and Sisters,

Of all the topics on this hallowed forum to get testy about, this one seems like the least likely candidate.

That a better place to ask the question would be the sorority National is a point well taken. But I've seen a LOT dumber questions here and don't think asking for information/advice is out of line.

Second, regarding GLO Bylaws, etc., I'm not sure our pledge education program would cover legacy issues. In fact, those programs vary not only from GLO to GLO, but from chapter to chapter. I would not surprize me at all if legacy wasn't covered.

Finally, if we're going to "yell" at each other, why not pick a a more meaningful or controversial issue.

Maybe we all need to lighten up a bit? This just isn't worth the brain damage.

Fraternally,
DeltAlum
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-12-2000, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

The point is not that the question was dumb. The point is that many people ask questions in these forums that only members of their org (or even just their chapter) would know how to answer.

If you review any of the BGLO forums, you would not be surprised how myself and AKA2D responded. Hence, ANOTHER DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GLOs AND BGLOs (no comments on the terminology please!).

I'm done.

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum:

Of all the topics on this hallowed forum to get testy about, this one seems like the least likely candidate.

That a better place to ask the question would be the sorority National is a point well taken. But I've seen a LOT dumber questions here and don't think asking for information/advice is out of line.

Second, regarding GLO Bylaws, etc., I'm not sure our pledge education program would cover legacy issues. In fact, those programs vary not only from GLO to GLO, but from chapter to chapter. I would not surprize me at all if legacy wasn't covered.

Finally, if we're going to "yell" at each other, why not pick a a more meaningful or controversial issue.

Fraternally,
DeltAlum

------------------
MCCOYRED

Dynamic
Salient
Temperate

Mu Psi '86
BaltCo Alumnae
Old 12-12-2000, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

The point is not that the question was dumb. The point is that many people ask questions in these forums that only members of their org (or even just their chapter) would know how to answer.

If you review any of the BGLO forums, you would not be surprised how myself and AKA2D responded. Hence, ANOTHER DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GLOs AND BGLOs (no comments on the terminology please!).

I'm done.

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum:

Fraternally,
DeltAlum

------------------
MCCOYRED

Dynamic
Salient
Temperate

Mu Psi '86
BaltCo Alumnae
Old 12-12-2000, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know about other sororities, but to write a rec for Pi Phi, we don't need to have paid alum dues every year, etc., probably because it'd be too hard for the receiving chapters to deal with checking on dues status of all the recommending alums. They have more on their minds than that before rush!

All we have to do is be an alum--and on the recommendation form, we write our chapter name and initiation year. I've seen the same
on other sororities' forms and I have no clue whether any actives actually verify if the recommender is even a real member!
Old 12-12-2000, 04:39 PM

Angry

When I asked this question, I did not expect everyone to get all upset about it. I probably shouldn't even have bothered. I'll probably end up getting flamed (again) for saying this but, whether it was intentional or not, I am very insulted by some of the comments made. I should have posted it in my own sorority's message board; I'm sorry that I didn't. But, I don't feel that I should have been flamed for making one mistake. Like KatieQ said, this message board is for asking questions but it is also for bringing greek unity. I don't think that anybody has shown greek unity.

[This message has been edited by ZTAngel (edited December 12, 2000).]
Old 12-12-2000, 04:57 PM

Talking

carnation, thanks for your post. You make some excellent points, and I stand corrected!

And to ZTAngel, in my opinion, you came to the right place to ask your question. I would venture a guess that others are in the same position as your ZTA friend, and had the same question in their minds. I would say that your friend's situation is a question that would likely arise with all of the 26 NPC groups, not just ZTA.

In the end, perhaps it is best if your ZTA friend contact ZTA Headquarters directly, as ZTA Officers will be able to give you the "official" ZTA response. However, at the same time, I would predict that your friend's daughters and granddaughters will still be considered legacies, regardless of whether her dues have lapsed for whatever reason (be it economic hardship or what have you). Have a good day and tell us how it all works out!

Old 12-13-2000, 12:37 AM

ZTAngel--I think for an NPC sorority your question WAS NOT out of line. But then, my sorority's legacy policy is word for word on our National web page. Hence my complete openiness about it! But of course that's not the case for every GLO.

AKA2D '91 & mccoyred--I think your responses were very appropiate for your orgs. I know you both realize that there are many diffs between NPC/IFC and NPHC. This is just another one of those things.

So, yeah a real member wouldn't necessarily know the answer. With my own chapter, it's something that's never brought up until formal rush. And then it's just sort of skimmed over and not really explained in a very detailed manner.

I don't think (and I certainly hope) that anyone was trying to completely disrespect one another. Let's all just try to remember that were coming from different places on these things.

CutiePie2000--
the 4 different ways that women in my NPC sorority can be considered alumna status are:
1. If you've graduated from college
2. If you leave school for more than 1 yr during your undergrad degree.
3. If you leave the chapter on good standing alumna status can be granted. So, you could be an alumna and still taking classes.
4. If you go through our special alumna ritual! Not all sororities have this one. Actually I'm not aware of any other sorority that has it...but who knows!

It's all pretty complicated when applied to real life. The decisions about #3 are at the whim of our exec board. So if two girls with the same situation requested alumna status, one could get it while the other is denied.
Old 12-13-2000, 10:16 AM

No problem with the above. I just think ZTAngel took some flack she didn't deserve.

DeltAlum