GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,642
0 members and 1,642 guests
No Members online

Old 06-05-2018, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Centenary College of Louisiana

Can anyone enlighten me as to how recruitment is handled at a very small campus with only two sororities? The freshman class is fewer than 200.

Do the PNMs rank the two after each set of parties as they do at larger campuses? Are cuts made by the sororities prior to pref?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-05-2018, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTA1550 View Post
Can anyone enlighten me as to how recruitment is handled at a very small campus with only two sororities? The freshman class is fewer than 200.

Do the PNMs rank the two after each set of parties as they do at larger campuses? Are cuts made by the sororities prior to pref?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Every campus varies.

Here is the recruitment schedule for Centenary from Fall 2017:
https://www.centenary.edu/student-li...llrecruitment/

And the Guidebook:
https://issuu.com/centenarycollege/d...nhellenic-2017

There are rounds and recruitment counselors. I'm not sure exactly how it works on this campus, but I would guess that everyone registered might automatically be invited to the first two rounds - or perhaps all three. The wording in the descriptions for each round of recruitment make it sound like this is the case, but I could be reading too much into it.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge can chime in.

@~/~~~~
Old 06-05-2018, 08:56 PM

Like ASTalumna06 said, there is quite a bit of variation from campus to campus. It is my understanding that, these days, at schools where only a few NPC sororities have chapters, the local Panhel can opt out of doing FR altogether. Evidently this isn't true at Centenary.

But I'd be surprised if any FR invitations beyond open house (philanthropy night at that school) were automatic, for two reasons: legacy policies and low GPA. Taking my own sorority as an example:

- Anyone who does not meet the minimum GPA for initiation is released after the open house round. (The national minimum is 2.5/4.0 but individual chapters can set their own higher minimums.)
- All legacies who do meet minimum GPA must be invited to the first invitational round.
- Any legacy who is invited to preference must be on the chapter's first bid list. So, if a chapter feels that a particular legacy is not a good fit, they'd have to release her before pref.

So, if invitations were automatic, a chapter might get stuck with a new member with a terrible GPA or a bad reputation.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I waited before commenting - hoping a Centenary graduate would chime in. A close family friend (who is now deceased) was a Chi Omega at Centenary. She really loved her sorority and that school -- loved it with all her heart. She was very exceptional in that regard.

I pasted the following off Centenary's webpage. For obvious reasons, recruitment is likely not the immediate or main focus of attention of incoming freshmen at Centenary.

[Begin quoted material]

Congratulations on your acceptance to Centenary - we're so glad you're here!

Explore the "New Student Checklist" for your important next steps and get ready to travel to Paris for your first college course with the Centenary in Paris program!

Centenary's tuition and mandatory fees are combined into one transparent price. This flat rate includes innovative hybrid semesters which incorporate August and May immersion terms (including the Centenary in Paris experience for all incoming freshmen) * * *

WHAT IS CENTENARY IN PARIS?
You’ll complete your first college course during Centenary’s August 2018 immersive term, with the 9-day Centenary in Paris segment as the centerpiece. Using all of Paris as a classroom, it’s an intensive learning experience that will help you create strong bonds with your classmates and your professors. You’ll also earn college credit before most other students around the country even get to campus!

IMPORTANT DATES FOR CENTENARY IN PARIS 2018
August 3, 2018 - New Student Move-In
August 3-5, 2018 - New Student Orientation
August 6, 2018 - Centenary in Paris courses begin (in Shreveport)
August 9-17, 2018 - Paris travel dates"

[End quoted material]