GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,397
0 members and 1,397 guests
No Members online

Old 03-11-2020, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

The German chancellor is predicting 70% of the German population could be infected.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta1234 View Post
Hey AST, where are you going in Iceland? It’s one of my favorite places. The reality is that outside of the Capital, it’s really not crowded at all. The only suggestion I would have is to visit your doc before you leave and see if they will give you some basic scripts—or just take some OTC meds with you. If you get sick on a Sunday, you are out of luck there as the pharmacies don’t open until Monday. Most stores close around 6pm on weeknights so it’s smart to just have some stuff with you. I’m heading to Nepal in May and my doc is just giving me my own “medicine cabinet”

If you need any input on Iceland, feel free to PM me.
Thanks so much! Any tips you have would be appreciated! I'm so overwhelmed with all there is to see and do. And of course I can't pronounce or remember the names of anything, so I've got a giant list going. I know I want to go glacier hiking for sure. Also planning some whale watching, and if puffins are spotted, that would be awesome, but it's still a little early in the season. I don't feel like I need to visit the Blue Lagoon, but other (free!) hot springs would be nice. Right now, the plans are to land in Reykjavik on 4/22 and take off on 4/27. Still debating about whether to stay in town for the entire trip or spend a few days stationed in a different part of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozen Sands View Post
The German chancellor is predicting 70% of the German population could be infected.
Based on?

@~/~~~~
Old 03-11-2020, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

My son's school closed down because a sibling of a student might have been exposed. This has resulted in me and my daughter (who subs) being essentially quarantined from my school.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Michigan State has gone to all online classes until April 20. Ohio State and University of Toledo have also gone to all online for awhile. Waiting to see if my son's will.

Our cruise company is now allowing cancellation for full credit which must be used before December 2021. So hopefully we can go next May. Not sure if we can cancel flights or hotels without fees yet. Fingers crossed.

My work has done things like ban all meetings of more then 30 people in a room. Bring your kids to work day is cancelled. Several conferences people were supposed to go to are postponed.

Disney World was packed this weekend. I took wipes and wiped down my plane seat, arm rests,v etc. Offered one to the guy who was next to me too. He wiped down his area too. Several others had done the same. We were careful when waiting in lines to Dave each other instead of facing strangers. On elevators, I faced the wall or door, not other people. I tried not to touch hand rails but when I did, vi used hand sanitizer right after. Little things
Old 03-11-2020, 03:03 PM
Banned

Kent State, University of Akron, Case Western Reserve, University of Dayton and John Carroll have all either moved to online instruction or cancelled classes. Mike DeWine strongly urged all universities in Ohio to move online, the fourth confirmed case in Ohio was just recently announced. There is no known source for that case yet.
Old 03-11-2020, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAnchor View Post
Kent State, University of Akron, Case Western Reserve, University of Dayton and John Carroll have all either moved to online instruction or cancelled classes. Mike DeWine strongly urged all universities in Ohio to move online, the fourth confirmed case in Ohio was just recently announced. There is no known source for that case yet.

Oberlin, Walsh, Youngstown State, Ursuline, Baldwin Wallace, Ashland, Capital, Denison, Kenyon, Miami, OU, Ohio Wesleyan, Otterbein, Cincinnati and a lot of the community colleges.
One of the schools east of Cleveland has disclosed that a rabbi who visited the school from Isreal in February has been diagnosed with COVID-19

Last edited by Benzgirl; 03-11-2020 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Several schools in Massachusetts are closing for the remainder of the school year including Babson College, Harvard, MIT, Suffolk, Tufts, etc. Additional schools are closing temporarily including all the University of Massachusetts locations, Boston University, Northeastern, and more...

My questions now becomes - how do greek organizations handle this when the students are being told to move out and away and yet they are bound by leases with greek organizations? I'm sure the answers will vary by organization, school, and other factors, but the situation is becoming more complex by the day.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 03-11-2020, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

My chapter's Centennial is the weekend of April 3-5. I'm starting to wonder if it will happen.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAnchor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Oberlin, Walsh, Youngstown State, Ursuline, Baldwin Wallace, Ashland, Capital, Denison, Kenyon, Miami, OU, Ohio Wesleyan, Otterbein, Cincinnati and a lot of the community colleges.
One of the schools east of Cleveland has disclosed that a rabbi who visited the school from Isreal in February has been diagnosed with COVID-19
You can add all Penn State campuses to the list.

https://behrend.psu.edu/feature/coro...BoYSOCsB0oSPGw

Quote:
In light of the public health threat related to coronavirus, and in the best interests of the health and safety of students, faculty, staff and our local communities, Penn State has decided to move to remote learning for all classes, including classes at Penn State Behrend, beginning Monday, March 16, through Friday, April 3, with a plan to resume in-person classes on Monday, April 6, at the earliest.

For faculty and staff, the University will remain open.

@~/~~~~
Old 03-11-2020, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Florida State classes will be online for the next 2 weeks, at which time admin will reassess the situation.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl2000 View Post
Several schools in Massachusetts are closing for the remainder of the school year including Babson College, Harvard, MIT, Suffolk, Tufts, etc. Additional schools are closing temporarily including all the University of Massachusetts locations, Boston University, Northeastern, and more...
Interesting...I hadn't heard of schools closing for the remainder of the semester, just for a few weeks around spring break.

I respect schools/organizations/others' decisions to do this. Some may disagree, but if it helps slow things down or whatever, I'm all for it. I *do*, however, feel bad for service-industry workers whose jobs don't allow "working from home".
Old 03-11-2020, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

A fellow teacher's son is at Birmingham Southern. She says that if they make the kids finish the year with online classes, she'd better get a big fat refund check on his tuition because she's not paying that kind of money for him to teach himself.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Florida State classes will be online for the next 2 weeks, at which time admin will reassess the situation.
I read that it's all Florida universities, not just FSU. UVa announced today that they will go to online classes and reassess on April 5th for the rest of the semester.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

The University of Minnesota and all its satellite campuses will be closed for two weeks after spring break (which I believe is next week?).
Old 03-11-2020, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

UF, FSU, University of North Florida, Central Florida, and South Florida are all going to online classes. UF starts on the 16 and will have online classes until the 30th, at least. The other schools will begin their two weeks when the students return from spring break. They are expected to return to on-campus classes on April 6th.