GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,887
1 members and 1,886 guests
fmanning
Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2001, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry Pledging has failed us

First let me give warm greetings to the Phirst Phamily. I was recently at the greek in Philly and I saw Alphas, Kappas Ques, Sigmas etc. who should have never made it through the process. I mean the process was put in place to weed out many of the people we are bringing in. Anybody who can wild like I saw some people in philly have no respect for there organizations. I know we can not help some bad people getting in but they have become the majority. As bloody as the process has become it has not improved the character or quality of the membership.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-22-2001, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to The Original Ape
Cool

Preacher,

I'm sure you observed what some of us here have seen too; and that is, the bad ones you referred to probably DIDN'T pledge. It's this new process that allows non-serious people to get in. If there's no test, ANYBODY can get in. If it's easy to get, it wont be valued.
Old 07-22-2001, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree then I don't there is a lot of catz who got beat up for 5 weeks and feel they have the right to do whatever in the name of there Frat. I pledged at a single letter chapter (Bloody Nu) And we pre pledged for almost 5 weeks. So A lot of this rif raf did quote unquote pledge its just the process was filled with brutality and not brotherhood. I mean I believe a lot of what I have been through is bull shit and if it is done right 5 weeks is long enough to pledge. Bottom line frat this process just brings in more followers when we really need more leaders. Alpha Phi Alpha is the light of the world forever shall I hold it up high
Old 07-22-2001, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to The Original Ape
Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Preacher06:
I agree then I don't there is a lot of catz who got beat up for 5 weeks and feel they have the right to do whatever in the name of there Frat. I pledged at a single letter chapter (Bloody Nu) And we pre pledged for almost 5 weeks. So A lot of this rif raf did quote unquote pledge its just the process was filled with brutality and not brotherhood. I mean I believe a lot of what I have been through is bull shit and if it is done right 5 weeks is long enough to pledge. Bottom line frat this process just brings in more followers when we really need more leaders. Alpha Phi Alpha is the light of the world forever shall I hold it up high
Check your e-mail.

Old 07-22-2001, 03:32 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Preacher06:
First let me give warm greetings to the Phirst Phamily. I was recently at the greek in Philly and I saw Alphas, Kappas Ques, Sigmas etc. who should have never made it through the process. I mean the process was put in place to weed out many of the people we are bringing in. Anybody who can wild like I saw some people in philly have no respect for there organizations. I know we can not help some bad people getting in but they have become the majority. As bloody as the process has become it has not improved the character or quality of the membership.

proof positive that it is the development of mental...not physical prowess/stamina that assists the development of a viable member...
Old 07-22-2001, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Preacher06, I was at Philly as well. I definitely think there are questionable members in many organizations. The major problem that I have is seeing fraternity "clones". Why is it that an individual feels that he has to comprimise his individuality to fit into the stereotype of an organization, rather than maintain his individuality and bring that to the organization?

Philosopher1963
Old 07-23-2001, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to IotaNet
Quote:
Philosopher1963 wrote:
Why is it that an individual feels that he has to comprimise his individuality to fit into the stereotype of an organization, rather than maintain his individuality and bring that to the organization?
Hmmmm ... that reads like something an Iota Man might write!

Seriously, tho - Greetings (and much respect) to the men of Alpha Phi Alpha!

I don't think the issue here is pledging. It speaks to how wrongly people approached the pledging process in the first place.

Whatever process you undergo to join an organization, it is NOT the methodology for screening out "bad apples." The screening should take place BEFORE a candidate is accepted. The process is merely about setting people on the correct road to Brotherhood.

Somebody told me once, "The best indicator of what someone will do is what they've already done." If that's true, then we need to be taking a closer look at the backgrounds of the people we select as candidates. Poor aspirants will make poor Brothers ... they will only bring bad attitudes, poor work ethics, and trouble into the fold.

Somebody else once told me, "You don't need a weeding-out process ... just pick FLOWERS!

Food for thought, yes?

------------------
IotaNet
Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc.
Alpha Eta Chapter, Spring, 1980

Kappa Kappa Psi Honorary Band Fraternity
Zeta Nu Chapter, Spring, 1979

[This message has been edited by IotaNet (edited July 23, 2001).]
Closed Thread