GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,353
1 members and 1,352 guests
acg233

Old 01-28-2018, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

If you are a legacy, should you mention it?

My D will be going through rush in the fall, and I'm helping her line up recs, etc. so that she'll be all set when summer gets here. Things have changed a lot in the 30 years since I went through this. Fortunately for me, I was clueless about any of it and had a great rush experience! Since she is a legacy, is it something she should put in her resume? I'm sure it'll be somewhere on her registration, so I don't know that there's a need to call it out. I don't want other houses to release her thinking that she'll just want to go to her legacy house. She is going into rush (or recruitment--trying to use the new terminology!) with a very open mind, and truly wants to find the house that is the best fit for her. Should she mention it to actives when she rushes her legacy house, or assume they already know? (we always knew when we had legacies going through, so there was no need for them to bring it up) While I'd love to see her end up at my house, I don't want her to A) come across as obnoxious or expecting to get in (she knows better than that) and B), I don't want her to make other houses think she would not be interested in them if they find out her legacy status. Just really curious as to how/when/if to bring up legacy status. Any advice would be appreciated! She'll be at a larger SEC school with a fairly competitive (but not crazy) rush, BTW.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I can only speak for my sorority but we have a National Legacy Introduction Form that is to be completed and sent in with the reference (I do believe they can be sent in separately if necessary). That way the legacy can be vetted by the National organization and the chapter will know she is a legacy so she has no reason to mention it. The chapter will know.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a legacy form to her chapter. Don’t put it on registration form (like we did) or resume.
My daughter was flat out told by one house they didn’t ask her back because it was assumed she would pledge her legacy chapter, which she did not. True or not, she did have that suspicion.
If asked during a rush party there’s no need to lie, but she’ll be able to tell them herself and let them know she’s not set on it, etc.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

This is helpful and confirms what I was thinking. I just looked at our reference form and it asks for legacy information there, so I don't think there is a separate legacy form. I do know that on the school's registration form for recruitment, it asks about any legacy connections. So it sounds like it's best to leave that blank? She'll have two refs for her legacy house--one from one of my pledge sisters and another from a friend who was in the actual chapter at the school she'll be attending.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

I would advise to leave off her legacy information on the Panhellenic registration form. You are directly letting the legacy chapter know, that is all you need to do.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

She should not worry about putting down her legacy on her form. The software UF uses for registration does not give out legacy information to the other chapters. However, our national recommendation form does request legacy information for the pmn. I am assuming that people she is asking for letters of recommendations know you and know that you were a Tri-Delta at UF.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

@ggforever you bring up a good point--she will not be attending UF but the others who will be writing recs for her for other houses definitely know I'm UF TriDelta, so we should maybe ask that they not make any mention of her legacy status on their rec forms. The Tri-Deltas will of course fill out the legacy section on theirs, though.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFLDDD View Post
@ggforever you bring up a good point--she will not be attending UF but the others who will be writing recs for her for other houses definitely know I'm UF TriDelta, so we should maybe ask that they not make any mention of her legacy status on their rec forms. The Tri-Deltas will of course fill out the legacy section on theirs, though.
My daughter just went through recruitment and while recs aren't as big of a thing, the legacy situation was interesting as she had an older sister who just graduated the year prior. While my younger D was open to her sister's house and mine, she didn't want any assumptions made for her.

So we did exactly what you expressed above and per the advice read on this site from all the wonderfully wise women here. We asked those who wrote her recs not to put any legacy status about her sister's chapter or mine on their forms. If she was asked, she, of course, would be honest. She ended up going to her sister's house and one other for pref round and ended up in the other house (which was her first choice).

Last edited by lyrespearls; 01-29-2018 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

OldFLDDD, I would never leave off the legacy information for any sponsor form I filled out. To do so is not fair to the chapter. Houses love to poach other legacies and having this information could assist them in recruiting. That is my opinion but I am sure others will feel differently.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Houses used to love to poach other legacies, but recruitment has become more high stakes and chapters are loathe to take a chance on a legacy, especially if the legacy sorority is highly sought after at the PNM's school. In the past ten years I have seen stellar legacies dropped because other chapters feared they would pledge the legacy house.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

FSUZeta, that can be true but if the legacy is really highly sought after chapters will go for her. I guess the question is: Would you leave the legacy off a requested sponsor form?? I would not. I always try to give the chapter as much information about the pmn I can.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I am going to agree with ggforever. I would not omit information that I know to be true when writing a recommendation. I consider that a lie. And I think I would be offended if a PNM asked me to omit information.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

keep in mind that different schools have different rules. If a legacy omits the legacy information when registering for recruitment through the university at the school I advise, then they are not treated as a legacy in the system.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 01-30-2018, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

ForeverRoses, when you say "not treated as a legacy in the system", what exactly do you mean by that? I'm confused now. The Tri Deltas will obviously know her status but that would be from the recs they'll receive ahead of time. And I guess there is some disagreement on whether or not it's good for the other houses to know where she's a legacy. I think some of this also comes down to how much of a "hot commodity" she is. I predict that she'll have a successful rush, but she's not going to be the girl everyone is going nuts over. I like to think that she'd be that, but I'm a realist!
Old 01-30-2018, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

At the campus I used to advise at, the PNMs would register online using the ICS Recruiter system. Panhellenic uses that automated system to generate PNM groups, party schedules, etc. The individual chapters use the system to input their invite lists and such. The PNM lists that are sent to the chapters by Panhellenic include "flags" for women who are legacies for that organization. In other words, if a PNM marked that she is a Gamma Phi Beta legacy on her registration form, that "flag" will show up next to her name in the list that is sent to us. We did not receive flags for legacy status at other sororities. I can't remember if it was possible for us to manually key in a legacy flag from the chapter's end or not. I believe it is; but, I am not 100% sure.

True and Constant