GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,291
0 members and 1,291 guests
No Members online

Old 07-12-2008, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

pref night stories

so i was thinking it would be interesting to hear opinions on what makes a great pref nigt story! its my first year doing rush and im not sure what its supposed to be!
Old 07-13-2008, 01:27 AM

The Recruitment Stories forum is full of stories of people's entire recruitment experiences, from first rounds to preference parties. Try checking some of them out:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/fo...play.php?f=209

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

I think she means pref night stories from the "inside."

Like the year you cried at your best friend's feet while she told you how much she loved your house, would love to be an XYZ, she even wore a tiny (insert sorority symbol) necklace to pref, etc and then the next day, when the new pledge class was announced, her name was not on there because she preffed ABC instead.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Hah, I have good and bad pref night stories. I think pref night is where all the stresses of recruitment come out for both actives and PNMs. Everybody has been working so hard since work week and is exhausted. I'll start with the good...if you feel like continuing you can go to the bad.

During work week or rush school (or whatever your school calls it) you will run through pref time and time again and it won't seem particularly memorable or special. Then when it comes for the actual ceremony it really starts to take hold and becomes breathtakingly special. It takes me by surprise every year and it's always incredible. I think it's really a testament to the sisterhood you share in your org...it's almost like watching it for the first time every time (if that makes sense).

Anyways, time for the juicy pref "nightmare" story.

I remember there was this one girl who came through recruitment last year who was drop dead gorgeous...like turn heads on the street type gorgeous. Not only that but she had an extremely competitive GPA, incredible extracurriculars and a shining letter of rec. Needless to say she was one of the PNMs that started a lot of pre-recruitment buzz from all chapters.

The problem was that she was painfully shy and a little sullen. However, there was already so much buzz about her that she kept advancing every round. My friend who was assigned to talk to her most of the days couldn't believe it...she tried to make conversation everyday but it was very difficult (and my friend is really talkative). The big pain was that we were cutting so many girls we really loved and somehow this girl kept coming back.

Well, her name was announced for pref and guess who was assigned to pref her? My friend! She literally started crying (I think from exhaustion) and said she couldn't fake it anymore and did not want this girl to be her sister. It was a little silly of her but we were all so tired that we were kind of like, "Fine, if you won't step up we'll have someone else pref her." Somebody did and she ended up at our biggest competitors house...to this day we have no idea if she chose them or if she finally "didn't make the cut" so to speak.

I'm sure with those grades and those activities she would have made a fine addition to our chapter, but we are generally really outgoing and she was exceptionally hard to talk to. It was just a very strange recruitment because so many girls we loved were released and yet every day her name was high enough to be invited to the next round. Go figure, somebody must have loved her and just never spoke up.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

i think the best pref. night story is one that is sincere and comes from the heart. it borders on gushy, but does not cross the line. it is where you let your true feelings about your sorority come out, being careful not to make the pnm feel uncomfortable.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks everyone!