GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,321
0 members and 2,321 guests
No Members online

Old 03-12-2016, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
Actually, I like Kasich! He is not in the fray of beating up on the others! He is a lot calmer than the hell bent kill your opponent! Trump is wearing me out with his inciting people to beat up on those that oppose him! Reminds me to much of someone who did that in the late 1930's.
Ask any school teacher in Ohio about their love for Kasich and you are guaranteed to be killed. I didn't vote for him for governor and I sure as hell won't vote for him to be our next POTUS. Is he the best of the worst? ....Yes!

Looks like the GOP has a real problem on their hands.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB06 View Post
As someone said upthread, too many people fought and died for me not to vote, so I do.

As is also the case, there are no "virgins" in American politics -- those looking for ideological purity are always disappointed. Either vote for whom you like best or against whom you dislike most.

But if you sit at home and don't vote, the rest of us will decide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
I've yet to miss an election, and will not start now. Yet, just once before I die, I would love to vote for a candidate, instead of against the others. I truly don't care for any of those available. As I know for whom my brother would have voted this year, I may vote for his candidate for him.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWguy View Post
I'm an Independent as well. I've voted GOP the previous two elections (2012, 2008) and Dem before that (2004, 2000).
You have something against voting for winning candidates?
Old 03-13-2016, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I was one of the first 18 year olds to be allowed to vote. I turned 18 in April and the law lowering the age to 18 went into effect in July. I have never missed an election. Too many friends died in Viet Nam, too many people were thrown in jail because they wanted to be in a mixed race marriage, unfortunately the corrupt system is still corrupt-- just more so. If good people did not vote, people like Tom Metzger of WAR (White Ayran Race) and David Duke of the KKK would have been leading this country for the last 40 years.

One vote CAN make the difference. If everyone said that their vote did not count and 50% of the votes said the same thing, outcomes would be dramatically altered.

DaffyKD

Last edited by DaffyKD; 03-13-2016 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

This is absolutely the wildest election cycle I've witnessed. I'm completely flummoxed by people who say "Either Trump or Sanders" because they are clearly not voting based on issues in any way, shape or form. The two are so different that agreeing with both is completely impossible. It has me wondering why, exactly, people back a certain person.

Not to call you out specifically, NWguy, but I'm really curious why you supported the GOP the last two cycles and supported the Dems in the previous two. Are there specific issues that you feel strongly about? Because they are completely opposite in every way. Or do you just have a wide variety of beliefs about the issues? For example: Are you pro death penalty and pro choice? Are you pro- life and anti- gun control? Are you pro gay marriage and pro life?
Old 03-13-2016, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

While Trump is outside of mainstream politics he has many contacts with them and business all over the world.

Watching his speeches like the one in Kansas City last night with his railing against those who do not agree with him and his bully tactics is scaring the hell out of me!

I feel like I am taken back to Pre WW II in Germany! We know how that turned out!

So as I said before, we are in a rock and hard place. Voting for the lesser of two evils.

But you must still vote one way or the other. If one does not vote then do not ever complain!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-13-2016, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
This is absolutely the wildest election cycle I've witnessed. I'm completely flummoxed by people who say "Either Trump or Sanders" because they are clearly not voting based on issues in any way, shape or form. The two are so different that agreeing with both is completely impossible. It has me wondering why, exactly, people back a certain person.

Not to call you out specifically, NWguy, but I'm really curious why you supported the GOP the last two cycles and supported the Dems in the previous two. Are there specific issues that you feel strongly about? Because they are completely opposite in every way. Or do you just have a wide variety of beliefs about the issues? For example: Are you pro death penalty and pro choice? Are you pro- life and anti- gun control? Are you pro gay marriage and pro life?
I don't want to go into specifics because that could potentially open up a whole new can of worms, and I was hammered on another thread for stating my personal opinion. I like how this discussion is going, where everyone is respectful of everyone else's comments, regardless of their own political stance.

I will say this, one thing that has weighed heavily in recent months is the tragedy that occurred in Paris. Having lived there before, that shattered me. And contrary to what Sec of State Kerry said just a couple of days ago - that the violence in Syria is down considerably (it's just that the America media isn't reporting what's really happening over there) - I believe ISIS will strike again...and again...and again. So, I'm wanting a leader who has a tough strategy to combat international terrorism. That is one issue that is important to me right now.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
I don't want to go into specifics because that could potentially open up a whole new can of worms, and I was hammered on another thread for stating my personal opinion. I like how this discussion is going, where everyone is respectful of everyone else's comments, regardless of their own political stance.

I will say this, one thing that has weighed heavily in recent months is the tragedy that occurred in Paris. Having lived there before, that shattered me. And contrary to what Sec of State Kerry said just a couple of days ago - that the violence in Syria is down considerably (it's just that the America media isn't reporting what's really happening over there) - I believe ISIS will strike again...and again...and again. So, I'm wanting a leader who has a tough strategy to combat international terrorism. That is one issue that is important to me right now.
I agree it's important, but I don't see a candidate with a tough strategy, so it seems to me that can't be a factor.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I believe ISIS will strike again...and again...and again. So, I'm wanting a leader who has a tough strategy to combat international terrorism. That is one issue that is important to me right now.
I guarantee that if Trump is elected President, ISIS and many others will try to attack us repeatedly.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
I guarantee that if Trump is elected President, ISIS and many others will try to attack us repeatedly.
I completely agree, Benzgirl. We would be playing right into their hands and give them justification to attack. We have to be MUCH smarter than that.

Chi Omega
Old 03-13-2016, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
I agree. And I think most European allies will not be as willing to follow the US into war as they are now if Trump were elected.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Which is why I'm not voting for Trump. I don't see him as a "leader", more of a loose canon and an annoying public figure.

Can you imagine Trump getting elected in November? There will be protests and riots everywhere; it will be chaos instead of celebration.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1964Alum View Post
I completely agree, Benzgirl. We would be playing right into their hands and give them justification to attack. We have to be MUCH smarter than that.
I don't think that ISIS has EVER needed any justification whatsoever to attack the US or Europeans. I don't think it matters to them who our president is. They will attack us again, no matter who the POTUS is.

Last edited by thetalady; 03-13-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
I don't think that ISIS have EVER needed any justification whatsoever to attack the US or Europeans. I don't think it matters to them who our president is. They will attack us again, no matter who the POTUS is.
Sadly, I agree.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks NWguy- I guess that would be an issue that could go either way, so that makes sense to me.