GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,522
0 members and 1,522 guests
No Members online

Old 02-03-2004, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Related to names thread: Using out of date names

Would you give your child a really out of date name, such as Edna for a girl or your maiden name (if you're a woman) to a boy? When I was an undergrad, there was a girl in my dorm named Adelaide (which was interesting, because the dorm attached to mine was called Adelaide Hall)
Old 02-03-2004, 01:52 PM
Ginger

As long as there can be a nickname for it... or even an unrelated nickname given (ie. girl's name is Belinda, but people call her Suzy.. for some reason, it happens). I love "historic" names. But I think it's kind of mean to call your child that and then force them to be Edna (which is my grandmother's name, and she goes by Sunny!) at age 3.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think so. BUt you know what is funny..I was just having this conversation about how you can date specific names to a specific time period while watching the sound of music and looking at the real life names...funny how often times things like that always come up more then once when you have just thought about them for the first time.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to etahannah
my name is noreen and it is definately an old name. i would not trade my name for anything in the world. i love having a name that no one else has and that makes little old ladies remember their childhood friends named noreen.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

It really would depend on the name. Some are so beautiful, while others aren't.
Lots of the older names were biblical and I love them, but a "Hilda" or "Mathilda" doesn't do it for me.

( etahannah, I have a cousin named Coreene and an aunt Irene.)
Old 02-03-2004, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Quote:
Originally posted by etahannah
my name is noreen and it is definately an old name. i would not trade my name for anything in the world. i love having a name that no one else has and that makes little old ladies remember their childhood friends named noreen.
I used to dislike my name because people would call me Maureen, not that there is anything wrong with that name. I like my name Noreen because I am named after my grandmother Nora.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by justamom
It really would depend on the name. Some are so beautiful, while others aren't.
Lots of the older names were biblical and I love them, but a "Hilda" or "Mathilda" doesn't do it for me.

( etahannah, I have a cousin named Coreene and an aunt Irene.)
Exactly! Like your original example, Taualumna-- it would just be cruel to name a kid now Edna, or for that matter Gertrude, Ethel, etc. A name like Adelaide is very pretty, though! I wouldn't mind naming my child an older (and probably less-often-used) name if it was one I liked.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
I like the name Adelaide...you could call her Addy, for short.

While I really love old-fashioned names, I'm sooooooo glad my mom didn't name me after either of my grandmothers...I just don't think I look like an Irene or a Mamie.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

There was a girl in my class last semester and her name was Lorraine. To me that's a pretty old name - especially since my grandpa's sister is named that!

I also had another girl in another class that was named Bernadette. TALK about an old name there too! WoW!
Old 02-03-2004, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to hottytoddy Send a message via AIM to hottytoddy Send a message via Yahoo to hottytoddy
Yeah my mom's real name is Thelma. Most people don't know that. She was named after her grandmother..who's name was Lillie Thelma. She was like "Why couldn't they name me Lillie, that's much better."
Old 02-03-2004, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I think "old" names are very cool. I wish sometimes I had a more unique name instead of one of the most popular names "jennifer"
Old 02-03-2004, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Cluey Send a message via Yahoo to Cluey
If I ever have kids, and that is a big if, I will use family names. My family has always been big on using family names, so it only seems right. I will be skipping Beulah and Bertha, though

This thread, though, reminds me of a friend of mine from college. She shares her name with her mom and has a family name that has been passed on for generations - Winnie. Her mom never went by Winnie, but rather by her middle name because her name wasn't exactly hip in the seventies. My friend, though, loved her unique name and always went by Winnie. It just goes to show you that it all depends on the time in which you live, as to what names are acceptable. She also plans on naming her daughter, when she has one, Winnie, so the tradition will live on
Old 02-03-2004, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

When I meant maiden name, I was referring to boys taking their mother's maiden name as their first name. I went out with a guy once whose first name is Robertson.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tippiechick
On a side note, I also know a LOT of women who either use their maiden name or a family surname in their daughters' names. (Most of them place the family name as the middle name.) For example, I know a Carrington, Anne Chancellor, Brooks, Caroline Sumner, and Ellington.

Of course, if your name is something really hard to pronounce, etc., it might be advantageous to skip the family/maiden name thing
That is sooooooooo Southern. I think it is neat. But you aren't gong to see a lot of it around these parts where we have lots of German and Polish descendants.

Tippiechick, I am assuming you got the results of your sonogram.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

33girl,

Yes It's a boy... I actually forgot to tell everyone on here