GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,708
0 members and 1,708 guests
No Members online

Old 06-15-2001, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Question help!

I'm still looking for new member ideas!! I need some ideas that the whole chapter will be excited about...not just the new members.
We don't have a house exactly...we have a "tower" which is a lounge and fifteen singles, so we are a little limited.
Also, I wanted to do some activities with some of the fraternities on campus, do any of you have any social/new member ideas for that?
I really need your help! Thanks so much!

L&L
Casey
Zeta Alpha
Old 06-16-2001, 01:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Cas-
Great to see you working over the summer! I don't have any ideas however, since I am from your chapter but I will confirm that we really do need some great ideas!!! Well, hope you are having a great summer! I'll call you soon!
L&L,
Kates
Old 06-16-2001, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Hey Casey...

How are you, girl? Hope your summer is going well...

Did you read the latest posts on the KORE system? I'm trying to think of ways we can overcome those problems, at least for Zeta Alpha...

Anyway, I hope you're having a great summer!

L&L,
Kristen
Old 06-18-2001, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Hey Ladies!!
Isn't this great, I am doing my work for kappa already!!
But I do have another question, maybe Kristen you can help me on this
It was suggested to me that we do big sisters for the new members in the Sig Ep chapter...I told them I would run it past my advisor, is that something we can do? They wanted sophomores to have freshman little brothers...juniors would have sophomores...but is that against Kappa policy?
I am going to check the KORE topics now!
Thanks guys! How are your summers??

L&L
Casey
Old 06-19-2001, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Hi Casey--

I hate to have to tell you this, but having "littles" or "bigs" with fraternities is patently against KKG policy and IFC/PanHell policies...

...We can talk about this more, and there are other things we can do, like "pairs" through IFC/Panhell, and other kinds of exchanges, or serenades, but other chapters (the other fraternities and the other sorority) will have to be included.

Don't despair! I like this idea, and I think we can find a way to do SOMETHING like this (not this exactly), and it would really be fun, and not only be good for Kappa, but good for the Babson greek system as a whole.

Anyone else out there have any ideas/input on this issue? I'd LOVE to hear your side!!!!

I'm so proud of you for working on your KKG stuff so early in the summer! You rock!!!!
But don't forget to have some summer fun, too!!!!!

Loyally,
Kristen

------------------
Oh, Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
I'm so happy that I am a
Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
Nobody knows . . . how
happy I am!
Old 06-20-2001, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey Casey--

This sort of spills over from New Member into Fraternity Education, but maybe we could try to get the "Museum in a Box" from HQ for a sister night or for one of the retreats. That would be something that new members, shinypins, and active sisters alike would be interested in.

Here is what is in the Museum in a Box:

Museum in a Box—Experience the Heritage Museum. Can't visit the museum? You can still share the experience with this museum resource—a collection of artifacts, games, and activities for sharing the Heritage Museum experience. The Museum in a Box includes:

Artifacts and Fact Sheets

1930 History
Timeline Poster
Etta Kett has Rythym
Kappa Kappa Gamma Waltz
Dance Cards
Grand Seal of Kappa Kappa Gamma
Songs of Kappa Kappa Gamma 1970
Videotape on the Museum
Founder's Badge

Games & Activities

Founding Skit Script
What's My Line—Kappa Leadership
Where in the World Is Monmouth, Illinois? Geography of chapters
Name that Kappa Tune?

Miscellaneous

Kappa Kappa Gamma Foundation
Heritage Museum of Kappa Kappa Gamma
History 2000...Kappa Kappa Gamma Through the Years
Minnie Stewart Foundation
"Kappa Toasts and Other Jingles"

What do you think? We could probably pay for this through the Advisory Board, and anyway, it's only $25.

It's reserved on a first-come, first-served basis, so think about it and let me know if you want to reserve it. I can do it through the internet.

Loyally,
Kristen

------------------
I'm so happy that I am a
Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
Nobody knows . . . how
happy I am!
Old 06-24-2001, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Kristen that's really cool!! I think it would be awesome!!
I would love to get a hold of that, I will send an email to Kim, but we might have to have the advisory board help us out!
Thanks so much!!

L&L
Casey
Old 06-24-2001, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Kristen & Katie...
More questions!!
I got some replies from a Chi O about the new member program.
They had some ideas I thought I would run past yall and also put out for other Kappa's to read:
1. Secret Key Pals - like secret santas within the pledge class. (each new member has another new member...and they would put cards, poems, candy etc in eachother's mailboxes adn would be revealed during the last week)

2. New Member Car Wash - I don't know about this...it might verge on hazing because the sisters wouldn't be involved and I don't know if we can raise money like this or not- but the proceeds would go to a charity or to someplace like a woman's shelter etc.

3. Dinner - our new members cook dinner one night for a fraternity's new members
That's what they came up with, but I feel like I need to run those past you before I start planning anything!!
Let me know what you think!

L&L
Casey
Old 06-24-2001, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

One thing that I think would really help you guys is for someone to create a special email list for the new members. We had one of those, and you'd be amazed how that helped us come up with stuff to do all on our own. One thing we started was a pledge class dinner every month at this little sub shop near campus. By having the email list, they'll come up with stuff on their own to do, and there won't be issues with hazing. Also, you could have new member slumber parties, either at an off-campus sister's apartment, or you could give the girls the suite for the night and have the regular residents crash somewhere else. Actually, this would be a really good way for the pledge class to get to know their new member educator, as well as each other, early in the game as the NME would go to the sleepover too
Old 06-24-2001, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

OK-
I like the idea of the sleepovers, but our Greek Life advisor also serves as our Campus Life rule enforcer, so we got in trouble for having a sleepover once. Our school is getting really crazy about "over occupation" and that could result in us losing our tower. Kristen, you heard about our trouble. They are really "in tune" with our organization, which is great, but they regulate us as well. I think that sleepovers are great because it is a such a bonding experience. We could do it in our suite since we have an all Kappa suite(well almost) Also, the e-mail is great. We live off of it, and give the new members the opportunity to do whatever they want pretty much, just as long as it couldn't be considered hazing. Casey did a wonderful job last semester with the NM program. I would be in favor of the car wash, but it would have to be a chapter thing. I really like the secret pals idea too. Now that we can do Big/Lil, I think there can be good ideas around that as well. Don't you think???
Old 06-26-2001, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Hi my lovelies:

Here are my thoughts:

(1) Casey--when (what date/week) would you like to have the Museum in a Box at the chapter? Tell me and I will order it. We'll figure out the money later.

(2) Secret Key Pals: I love this idea. It's super excellent. Just make sure that ALL the New Members WANT to do this--it can't be forced on them, and it has to be ONLY among the New Members, not New Members giving gifts to Actives. You would need to specify how long this would go on--one gift a week during the New Member period? That would be reasonable.

(3) Car Wash--can't do it. SO AGAINST THE RULES....sorry girls. Even if the New Members want to do it, they can't. I can explain further if you want me to, but there's basically no way around this one!

(4) Dinner--Our New Members can not cook dinner for Sig Ep's (or another house's) new members or actives. This would look like hazing, even though I know that is not your intent. You COULD, however, have a New Member potluck or picnic dinner, where KKG New Members bring some food, and Sig Ep (or other house)'s New Members bring some food, and they all eat together. Even cooler would be an all-greek New Member Potluck or Picnic Dinner, where all the New Members from all the chapters get together for dinner that they all contributed to. Or, you could have KKG New Members eat dinner in Trim once each week with the new members of the other chapters... just some thoughts.

(5) Email list. This is wonderful. Don't do an email list just for New Members, though... need to have them on the chapter-wide list for anti-hazing purposes. They should be encouraged to start a New Member phone tree, however.

(6) Sleepovers are a no-no--more so on Babson's rules than on Kappa's, but we don't want to lose our Tower, eh?

Love the new ideas! Keep em coming!!!

------------------
I'm so happy that I am a
Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
Nobody knows . . . how
happy I am!
Old 06-26-2001, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

If the new members started an email list on their own without any of the actives bringing it up, is THAT hazing? Just wondering because we did that for my pledge class. We also had one for the whole chapter and we were on it, but we started this one too because we organized a lot of pledge class dinners on our own and we didn't want to clutter up the main list with stuff that only applied to us

[This message has been edited by BlueandBlue (edited June 26, 2001).]
Old 06-27-2001, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueandBlue:
If the new members started an email list on their own without any of the actives bringing it up, is THAT hazing? Just wondering because we did that for my pledge class. We also had one for the whole chapter and we were on it, but we started this one too because we organized a lot of pledge class dinners on our own and we didn't want to clutter up the main list with stuff that only applied to us
If your New Member class started the email list up on your own, that is certainly not hazing! We just want to be careful about having "Our list" and "Their list," when the people making the decisions about who gets on what list are the actives--we're trying to avoid splitting the groups up, and trying to foster the New Members' inclusion in the chapter.

I know you've heard all of this before... blah, blah, blah.... But rest assured that if New Members take the initiative on their own to do an email list, that is perfectly acceptable!!

------------------
I'm so happy that I am a
Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
Nobody knows . . . how
happy I am!