GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Alpha Epsilon
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,292
2 members and 2,290 guests
No Members online

Old 03-23-2011, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Help save Civil War Battlefields Resaca & Dallas in GA

Brothers: If I correctly recall our history, at least one of our Chapters fought, bled and died on these fields of honor.

Civil War Trust is trying to protect 538 acres of them.
For more details:
http://www.civilwar.org/battlefields...ighthizer.html
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-23-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM View Post
Brothers: If I correctly recall our history, at least one of our Chapters fought, bled and died on these fields of honor.

Civil War Trust is trying to protect 538 acres of them.
For more details:
http://www.civilwar.org/battlefields...ighthizer.html
Pardon my crash - but do you literally mean a whole chapter of men? Like they were their own unit?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Pardon my crash - but do you literally mean a whole chapter of men? Like they were their own unit?
Yes-that is just what I meant. For if I recall correctly, they where Brothers from GMI-Georgia Military Academy.
33girl-Of all existing national social fraternities today, Sigma Alpha Epsilon is the only one founded in the antebellum South. We just about died out during the Civil War/War of Northern Aggression. We had 15 Chapters and about 400 men-369 of them went to war. After the Civil War, only one chapter survived.
We have a great deal of other history involving the war.

And, believe it or not, a women helped save one of our Chapters-she is the only women ever initiated into Sigma Alpha Epsilon.

And in case you, or anyone is wondering, I have been a member of Civil War Trust for years. I "own" several small parts or rather small pieces of hollowed ground.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM View Post

And, believe it or not, a women helped save one of our Chapters-she is the only women ever initiated into Sigma Alpha Epsilon.
She was from KY. She was a local belle from the town where Kentucky Military Academy was. She was "laid to rest" wearing the badge of Sigma Alpha Epsilon. Yes, the BA in History is used.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Dang, those are really close to here! I didn't know that any battles had been fought in Dallas, although the locals talk a lot about Resaca.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

So..... that map is practically in the backyard of my childhood home.

The church about a half mile up the street had a group that did civil war re-enactments what seemed like every weekend.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Dang, those are really close to here! I didn't know that any battles had been fought in Dallas, although the locals talk a lot about Resaca.
Carnation: Lots of "little"/unknown battles fought in that war-all too many times, we only hear or learn of the "major" ones in the East. And never understand just how far flung the War really was.

There were very important batttles fought in the South-West.

But since these are so close to home, carnation, are you willing to kick in a few coins?
I hope so.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda6035 View Post

The church about a half mile up the street had a group that did civil war re-enactments what seemed like every weekend.
Would not surprise me at all with local history.

There are Civil War reenactments, or at the very least events, just about every weekend somewhere in the world.

Check the calender section of http://www.civilwarnews.com/
And, for old times sake, are you able to turn some coin over?

Last edited by SOM; 03-23-2011 at 11:13 PM. Reason: correction-replaced web site link
Old 03-24-2011, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda6035 View Post

Omigosh, the re-enactors. They spend a lot of time here and you never hear about it ahead of time so that when the cannons go off, even if they're halfway across town--

And once I was sitting in the car at a traffic light and there was a guy in Northern attire standing next to my car and I went about 20 feet in the air. Why did I do that? I never heard any firsthand stories nor I have I seen any Civil War movies except Gone With the Wind!
Old 03-24-2011, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Omigosh, the re-enactors. They spend a lot of time here and you never hear about it ahead of time so that when the cannons go off, even if they're halfway across town--

And once I was sitting in the car at a traffic light and there was a guy in Northern attire standing next to my car and I went about 20 feet in the air. Why did I do that? I never heard any firsthand stories nor I have I seen any Civil War movies except Gone With the Wind!
Yes carnation it can be a great surprise to see someone in 1860's uniform-or 20,000 of them with Unit and Battle Flags unfurled.
Most, if not all, re-enactors take their hobby very seriously. Some to the point of being "hard-core" and not wearing shoes or using tents or taking on a real persona from the War.
They are also very knowledgeable about the War-taking the time to talk to them one can learn more than reading many books.

They are also very much in the forefront to preserve what battlefields that are still left-that Americas fought, bled and died on.

And carnation, here is a list of all events coming up in GA:
http://www.civilwarnews.com/events/calendar.php

Including 147th Anniversary "Battle of Resaca"on more than 650 acres of original battlefield in Resaca.
http://www.georgiadivision.org/bor_reenactment.html

Last edited by SOM; 03-24-2011 at 11:39 AM.