GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,317
1 members and 2,316 guests
Phrozen Sands

Old 09-04-2015, 07:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
So, in the barrage of spam recently, the mods (myself included) have been on a mission of trying to keep the boards clean for everyone.
Thanks, y'all, for working on this. I can only imagine what a job that is.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It was accidentally deleted during a spam ban. It's been restored.

So, in the barrage of spam recently, the mods (myself included) have been on a mission of trying to keep the boards clean for everyone. For those of you new to GC, moderating is on a volunteer basis. No one is paid for the TIME it takes to clean this stuff. We are doing what we we can (from all corners of the world might I add) as quickly as we can. Please help us by continuing to report the spam as it comes in.

Oh, and in during the process of cleaning spam, sometimes a "real thread"
might get caught in the process. Just let us know and we'll fix it.

BTW, this is not a rant or "bitchfest" but folks need to know.

*Now back to your regularly scheduled program*
We love you mods! My angry emoticon will never be directed at you and will always be directed to the spammers. Thank you for all you do!
Old 09-04-2015, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPA85 View Post
I just found an obituary online from mid-July that may (or may not) be an indication of why John has been MIA. Its definitely not HIS but possibly a close family member.
The timing makes sense and the surviving relatives list include a John Hammell... :-(
I hope that's not the case, but it would be understandable.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I just found an obituary online from mid-July that may (or may not) be an indication of why John has been MIA. Its definitely not HIS but possibly a close family member.
The timing makes sense and the surviving relatives list include a John Hammell... :-(
I just looked for it, and I think you're right. If that's him, then it's no wonder that he's been occupied with other things - and rightfully so!

I think one of the ongoing issues with GC is that there are a lot of expenses incurred through use of the site, and a way to properly monetize it for even subsistence purposes has been elusive. I would be willing to bet that there are many PNMs and PNM moms out there who would be willing to pay a little bit for more personal coaching and hand-holding through the major SEC recruitments, if we could figure a way to do that through GC.

I've said it before - I'd be in favor of setting up a paywall of a dollar or two for each new member, if at all possible.

Quote:
So, in the barrage of spam recently, the mods (myself included) have been on a mission of trying to keep the boards clean for everyone. For those of you new to GC, moderating is on a volunteer basis. No one is paid for the TIME it takes to clean this stuff. We are doing what we we can (from all corners of the world might I add) as quickly as we can. Please help us by continuing to report the spam as it comes in.

BTW, this is not a rant or "bitchfest" but folks need to know.

*Now back to your regularly scheduled program*
An ode to NinjaPoodle:

Oh, Ninja, how we appreciate what you do,
Know that when we spam-bitch, it is not at you.
With all on your plate - GC, work and school,
We give our great thanks to a lady so cool.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

NinjaPoodle (and the other mods), thank you for all you have been doing. I have definitely noticed your work and efforts and appreciate it immensley!

By the way, I think the Badge Trends thread was accidentally deleted with the spam? I would love it if it could get restored.

Quote:
I hope he is doing okay.
Loyal, forever, Alpha to thee
Old 09-04-2015, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I echo the thanks to the mods...you do much heavy lifting and I appreciate it. The spam is your heavy albatross to bear these days. I hope John is OK, and also hope the site can find solid financial footing etc.

When I became an advisor after many years of sporadic alumn involvement, I was woefully out of date. 6 week new member period? new members not pledges? RFM? Sophisticated risk management issues? Chapter choice options? What rabbit hole had I fallen down? Thanks to all the experts on GC I was soon up to speed!
Old 09-05-2015, 02:44 AM
GreekChat Member

My new favorite spam title!

【存档可查】约克大学YU毕业证

@~/~~~~
Old 09-05-2015, 08:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Over run this morning. They've even moved off the into forum.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
NinjaPoodle -- you are my hero for tackling this. I have a question -- can you temporarily suspend the account signup functions? Put a sticky thread up explaining why. People won't be able to sign up, but it will at least keep everything going until John can get back. It might save this community if you can.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

It does seem that Badge Trends was deleted
Old 09-05-2015, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetgeek View Post
NinjaPoodle -- you are my hero for tackling this. I have a question -- can you temporarily suspend the account signup functions? Put a sticky thread up explaining why. People won't be able to sign up, but it will at least keep everything going until John can get back. It might save this community if you can.
I like this idea. Ban the spammers and keep new ones from joining. I'm sorry for legitimate joiners, but if it can fix the bigger problem, then it might be worth it for now,
Old 09-05-2015, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
second the motion ... and thank you for the continual cleanup!
Old 09-06-2015, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
John has been MIA for several months already. Doesn't it defeat a lot of the value of GC if new PNMs cannot ask questions prior to rush? We still have some very big campus recruitments to come...
Old 09-06-2015, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

As John appeared to be MIA, I had considered the possibility of something like this, too, and I was hoping it wouldn't be the case. No matter how annoying the spam is, I would never wish ill on someone or his family.

True and Constant
Old 09-07-2015, 02:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I am happy to volunteer as an additional person to delete the spam posts! I typically log onto GreekChat at the very end of my day and lately the whole first page is full of spam. Please let me know how I can help!