GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,302
1 members and 2,301 guests
No Members online

Old 03-18-2011, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Joining a fraternity

I want to pledge a fraternity. And I've rushed already as a freshman. Only a little first semester but I found a fraternity I'd like to pledge the second semester I rushed. But I have a problem with the whole Greek process. I don't like the traditional Greek wear. The short golf shorts, the short sleeve polos. I liked the people in the fraternity I got a bid for, and they seem to really want me to pledge, but in addition to Ralph Lauren, Jack Wills, Lacoste, and Vineyard Vines I like to wear Pacsun and American Apparel also. I just don't understand the big deal of having a variety of clothing I can wear. I don't see why it's a rule I have to wear the short shorts and a polo all the time. I guess I'm asking if it's such a big deal about the clothing. I thought a fraternity was about meeting more people and expanding your network and making new friends. Not "What to Wear 101". I'm not looking to make anyone mad. Just looking for an input. Thanks a lot I appreciate it.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-18-2011, 07:38 PM

When you're pledging, some fraternities do require pledges to wear certain clothing because you're not allowed to wear your pledge pin with things that are considered too casual. When you're pledging, you have to wear your pledge pin the majority of the time. Proper attire with the badge is something initiated members have to adhere to as well.

If you're not talking about that - if you just mean that people get on your case - that's only a "rule" at certain schools. If you don't like the fact that they're outright telling you what to wear and you don't understand their distaste for the other stuff (although I totally agree on American Apparel), there are probably going to be other things about the brothers/fraternity that bug you as well.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by titletown View Post
I want to pledge a fraternity. And I've rushed already as a freshman. Only a little first semester but I found a fraternity I'd like to pledge the second semester I rushed. But I have a problem with the whole Greek process. I don't like the traditional Greek wear. The short golf shorts, the short sleeve polos. I liked the people in the fraternity I got a bid for, and they seem to really want me to pledge, but in addition to Ralph Lauren, Jack Wills, Lacoste, and Vineyard Vines I like to wear Pacsun and American Apparel also. I just don't understand the big deal of having a variety of clothing I can wear. I don't see why it's a rule I have to wear the short shorts and a polo all the time. I guess I'm asking if it's such a big deal about the clothing. I thought a fraternity was about meeting more people and expanding your network and making new friends. Not "What to Wear 101". I'm not looking to make anyone mad. Just looking for an input. Thanks a lot I appreciate it.
QFP
Old 03-18-2011, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

When I say that, I mean a hoodie, jeans, and a flat bill. Or an occasional graphic tee with something funny as shit on it. Nothing that an emo or fag would wear.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

http://shop.pacsun.com/Guys/tees/Dia...-Tee/index.pro
http://shop.pacsun.com/Guys/tees/Dea...-Tee/index.pro
http://shop.pacsun.com/Guys/tees/Mon...-Tee/index.pro

Stuff like that. Nothing too out there. I'm just curious if I can wear that sort of stuff after pledgeship when I become a brother. I mean I wear Ralph Lauren, Lacoste, Vineyard Vines, etc like I said. I just wanted to know if this was also acceptable. I go to a Southern school if that matters.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
When I say that, I mean a hoodie, jeans, and a flat bill. Or an occasional graphic tee with something funny as shit on it. Nothing that an emo or fag would wear.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Calling troll now. Think about this logically, if you pledge in the second semester, you're not wearing shorts of any kind, much less short shorts until months into your pledge process.

Ergo, troll. (And also the homophobic slurs)
Old 03-18-2011, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Calling troll now. Think about this logically, if you pledge in the second semester, you're not wearing shorts of any kind, much less short shorts until months into your pledge process.

Ergo, troll. (And also the homophobic slurs)
Even down in the South? And I love that gif.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't even understand what this guy is saying? Why would he have to wear shorts or have to wear his pin a "majority of the time"
Old 03-18-2011, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Even down in the South? And I love that gif.
I might give you March, but most of my Southern friends are wimps about the cold, so yeah. Either way, not buying it.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

So about the examples I gave lol?
Old 03-18-2011, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So about the examples I gave lol?
How about troll elsewhere.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
How about troll elsewhere.
lol I'm still curious about my question. I've never heard about pins being worn a majority of the time or different types of shorts hahaha
Old 03-18-2011, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Why would I be trolling. I'm asking if it's ok to wear tees like that in a fraternity. I got a bid last semester but couldn't rush because of family issues and money issues. But I will be next semester which would be the fall.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BemoreLXA View Post
lol I'm still curious about my question. I've never heard about pins being worn a majority of the time or different types of shorts hahaha
When I was a pledge we had to wear our pin everyday except for the 4 S's.