GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,336
3 members and 2,333 guests
ForeverAOII, PGD-GRAD, saphqueen

Old 03-15-2009, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Junior with a lot of transferring, questions

Hey there!

Out of HS, I originally went to a school (across the country) with a strong greek community, was a member of the marching band and was initiated into SAI. I also went through formal recruitment, was asked back to one (out of 11 or 12) houses after round one, and was then dropped from recruitment. My Rho Chi said it was because of the sheer amount of girls rushing and how few spots there were.

Now, due to family/money issues, I had to transfer from that school. I am now an alumnae member of SAI, because I transfered to a junior college. I'm about to graduate from there and planning to go to a school nearby, where there's a smaller greek community, and none of the chapters there had a chapter at my old school (I don't know if it would make a difference.) Sadly, there is no SAI chapter, but there isn't a school of music there either. So some questions,
Would it be worth it to go through formal recruitment again in the Fall? (There's also a new chapter colonizing) I miss what I had with my sisters, the feeling of home and belonging.
As a junior, would it be frowned upon? Should I bring up my greek history, and should I mention SAI?

Thanks for any help, feel free to PM with any comments/questions/concerns.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-15-2009, 05:53 PM

Honestly, you'll never know unless you try.

Every school has different attitude toward juniors and recruitment. At some, juniors get bids pretty regularly, while at others they do not. I personally would give formal recruitment a shot because you never know.

Colonizing chapters are good to check out as well, as they usually will select women of different class standings (some sophs & juniors). If you decide not to do formal, or it doesn't work out, I would suggest attending some of the new colony recruitment events. It's a different experience, but one that's really exciting/rewarding. Of course, there are no guarantees, but it never hurts to try.

It's up to you whether to do formal recruitment or check out the colony. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 03-15-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty sure the school isn't that competitive, as there are only (going to be) 4 houses, and greek life there is pretty new. It's also mostly a commuter school. I was more worried about the fact that I am a member of SAI, and have been through recruitment previously. Would that or should that even come up?
Old 03-16-2009, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIchica View Post
Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty sure the school isn't that competitive, as there are only (going to be) 4 houses, and greek life there is pretty new. It's also mostly a commuter school. I was more worried about the fact that I am a member of SAI, and have been through recruitment previously. Would that or should that even come up?
That really shouldn't come up or really be an issue. You said your new school doesn't have a music school, so it's likely that sorority members there have never even heard of it.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 03-16-2009 at 03:45 PM.