GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,473
4 members and 1,469 guests
g41965, gatordeltapgh

Old 10-24-2016, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

AI wearing graduate stole...

Hi,

I am curious if it is acceptable for an AI to wear sorority stole to masters graduation.

I will be graduating in may and was looking at stoles for some of the honor societies I was initiated into this past semester and it got me thinking about wearing my letters.

I know collegiate do it but is it acceptable for a AI to do it?
Old 10-24-2016, 01:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Acceptable? Why not? Goofy looking? Maybe.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm of the opinion that if you're not hurting anyone and not actively making a fool of yourself (showing up to graduation, in a letters stole, in your birthday suit), then go for it. Those are your letters, too. I doubt any sister would be irritated that you represented your org during a huge academic achievement.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

If you are proud of it, do it!
Old 10-24-2016, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually, I took a little time to research "academic costumes." Bottom line: not likely appropriate to wear the sorority stole with the masters' level costume.

Here's one link, there are many others. I didn't want to clutter up GC with TMI.

IMO it behooves you to check with your graduate college as to what is appropriate attire. I understand that being an AI, you didn't wear a stole in undergraduate graduation. Maybe you could wear your badge on your gown (if that's permitted).

ETA: here's a quote from an online source that might be helpful to you:

"Some institutions are very liberal in their rules and will allow organizational stoles for any organization you belong to. Others are very conservative and don't allow anything at all. The "official" rules on academic dress make no provision at all for stoles and cords - what is appropriate is based on local rules and traditions only.

"Remember though, you'll be wearing a master's hood with a master's gown and that hood is a bit longer than the bachelor's hood (if you wore one at all) - stoles tend to look a little unusual when coupled with a hood."
Old 10-24-2016, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

When I graduated with my doctorate, I wore my badge and guard on my robe. You could see it in the headshots and photos with my family just fine, yet it was still subtle.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Historically, I read somewhere that the whole point of everyone wearing a robe at a graduation ceremony is to put everyone on the same level, i.e. make it impossible to determine someone's wealth or social class by the clothing or jewelry they wear or don't wear, etc. The point is to make everyone look uniform. If you're graduating with academic honors, then great! Absolutely wear a stole or cord or whatever. Anything beyond that is too much, I think. But that's just me. However, I think wearing your badge underneath your robe, or even on your robe (because they're usually pretty small) would be okay.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Personal preference. Many of the traditional rules, formal or informal (closed toe shoes, pantyhose, stoles, cords, etc.) have been very relaxed for quite some time. If your school has no objection, or if a precedent has already been set with previous graduating classes, wear your letters with pride. I see photos of PHC/NPHC/MCG graduates wearing their stoles with their graduate robes regularly.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Actually, I took a little time to research "academic costumes." Bottom line: not likely appropriate to wear the sorority stole with the masters' level costume.
Quote:
"Remember though, you'll be wearing a master's hood with a master's gown and that hood is a bit longer than the bachelor's hood (if you wore one at all) - stoles tend to look a little unusual when coupled with a hood."

This. It is my personal opinion that wearing non-academic items with ones postgraduate academic regalia would look odd. The master's hood is supposed to be a key feature of the regalia, especially if your program has a "hooding" ceremony. I would think that a master's hood and a stole don't really go together. The hood drapes down the back quite prominently and then you'd having a draping sorority stole going the opposite direction down the front. And, honestly, you're receiving a higher academic award - if it were me, I wouldn't want to look childish.

I get it. You're proud of the sorority and didn't get to wear a GLO stole when you walked as an undergrad. You're not an undergrad anymore. This is the price that we have to pay as AIs. The experience will never be the same.

True and Constant
Old 10-25-2016, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
I get it. You're proud of the sorority and didn't get to wear a GLO stole when you walked as an undergrad. You're not an undergrad anymore. This is the price that we have to pay as AIs. The experience will never be the same.
Yes, I am quickly finding that out. The experience is not the same but I am trying to figure out the best way to make it meaning full none the less because I am proud of my letters. I have been inducted to a rather prestigious honor society so I will chose to wear a cord or stole for i because it is specifically for top seniors, graduate masters and doctoral students.

I definitely appreciate all the feed back. Even if I chose to not wear a GLO stole, I will wear my badge. I will take the time to ask my graduate office because I have seen many NPHC and MGC wear their letters from a masters graduation.

I still have a few months to make the decision but I will do the research and see what is acceptable. I definitely don't want to take the attention away from my Masters hood.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGamma1874 View Post
Yes, I am quickly finding that out. The experience is not the same but I am trying to figure out the best way to make it meaning full none the less because I am proud of my letters. I have been inducted to a rather prestigious honor society so I will chose to wear a cord or stole for i because it is specifically for top seniors, graduate masters and doctoral students.

I definitely appreciate all the feed back. Even if I chose to not wear a GLO stole, I will wear my badge. I will take the time to ask my graduate office because I have seen many NPHC and MGC wear their letters from a masters graduation.

I still have a few months to make the decision but I will do the research and see what is acceptable. I definitely don't want to take the attention away from my Masters hood.
Please be extra careful wearing an NPC badge on graduation day. More than a few of my sisters have lost their badge on that day be it by forgetting to remove a badge from their gown, the badge becoming unclasped from a gown/dress and falling off unnoticed, the badge being left on a table after removal from gown, ect.

Am not familiar whether masters grads buy their gown or rent it, but rental companies carry no blame for a badge accidentally left on a gown. In the bustle of a graduation day, you wouldn't want to lose such a precious item.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

I second what Cheerio said. A friend's daughter lost her badge that way a few years ago.

Here is another idea (and one that gives you another option for wearing you badge in the future): Buy one of the badge pendant's that let's you wear your badge as a necklace. They work pretty well, as you can simply insert your badge into the pendant when you want, or wear it traditionally.

Go to the HJ Jones website and look up Interchangeable Badge Pendant J03192801
Old 10-28-2016, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Actually, it is "HJ Greek." But here is the link:

http://www.hjgreek.com/index.cfm?eve...roduct_ID=9811
Old 10-29-2016, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdtennisgal View Post
I second what Cheerio said. A friend's daughter lost her badge that way a few years ago.

Here is another idea (and one that gives you another option for wearing you badge in the future): Buy one of the badge pendant's that let's you wear your badge as a necklace. They work pretty well, as you can simply insert your badge into the pendant when you want, or wear it traditionally.

Go to the HJ Jones website and look up Interchangeable Badge Pendant J03192801
Thank you! I will look it up now. The last thing I want to do is lose it!
Old 10-29-2016, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

If this person is a member, either A I, or a current student, she is still a member of said Organization. Or am I wrong? Is she a Sister or Brother? Answer would be yes! Are they proud of the affiliation, I would say yes, so is that a problem? I would say hell NO!!

Why is this such a big deal? It is beyond me!!

As to wearing The Badge, safety should be first as it is a cherished item for her as anyone else in the Organization!

Why should this even be a question?

LX Z # 1
Alumni