GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,280
1 members and 1,279 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 12:44 AM
Banned

Joining a different chapter

I am not sure if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find any information about it. I was initiated to a sorority 3 years ago as a sophomore at my university and soon after I became inactive and dropped. I did that because it was a bad experience and I was lied to about things the sorority had and was going to do. Now that I have graduated I want to be able to join another sorority as alumnae. I know once you have initiated one you can not join another but I have read a lot of posts from previous years where people have seen it happen so it is possible. The president at the time of my chapter even said it was possible but wouldn't give me more information. I really want to join another one because I want the lifelong friendships and I love community and philanthropy. The one I was in does not do much and the fact that I was lied to makes me not want to ever be a part of it. Please, can someone help me and give me some advice.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:53 AM

Is the group you were initiated into part of either the NPC or NPHC?
Old 08-31-2016, 01:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekgreek View Post
I am not sure if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find any information about it. I was initiated to a sorority 3 years ago as a sophomore at my university and soon after I became inactive and dropped. I did that because it was a bad experience and I was lied to about things the sorority had and was going to do. Now that I have graduated I want to be able to join another sorority as alumnae. I know once you have initiated one you can not join another but I have read a lot of posts from previous years where people have seen it happen so it is possible. The president at the time of my chapter even said it was possible but wouldn't give me more information. I really want to join another one because I want the lifelong friendships and I love community and philanthropy. The one I was in does not do much and the fact that I was lied to makes me not want to ever be a part of it. Please, can someone help me and give me some advice.
Didn't you just answer your own question? And, you said you couldn't find any information about joining another sorority after dropping, but then you said you "read a lot of posts from previous years where people have seen it happen so it is possible".

If you dropped your sorority membership, you aren't a part of it any longer. Like SoCalGirl, I'd like to know if you were in an NPC or NPHC sorority, or if you were a member of a local sorority.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:02 AM
Banned

yes it was NPC but like I said I was lied to and the president at the time told me I could join another sorority after initiation if it did not work out. I do not know if that was their way of getting me to join, but now that I know more I find it unfair.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:03 AM
Banned

I meant to say I didn't find any current information about it on here.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:13 AM

The alumnae experience is far different than the collegiate experience. Do you believe that hypothetical group B would have a different alumnae experience than you would have in group A (if you could get updated to an alumna in good standing)?

What type of experience are you looking for as an alumna?
Old 08-31-2016, 01:18 AM
Banned

I know it's different! Sadly I lost the chance to have a real sorority experience in college due to the issues with the sorority I joined because I couldn't join another one especially not in the same school. The one I joined is much smaller than the one I want to join nationally and in my state.It has a lot less events and philanthropy events that the one I want to join and that's something I'm interested in.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry to say it but you can chalk the statement that you could join a different NPC sorority after you initiated into one is yet another lie that you were apparently told.

With the NPC, it's one and done. Period. Any "exception" you've heard about that would have involved the initiate lying - and we know you don't respect that (nor do we).

You've got a couple of options:

1) Figure out how to make the best of it in the sorority you pledged lifelong loyalty to... get involved and perhaps be the change you wish to see. There are women here from all 26 NPC sororities so someone could surely tell you how to do that.

2) Find somewhere else non-NPC to build strong female friendships and give back through philanthropic service.

Alumnae initiation into an NPC sorority is not an option because you are already a member of an NPC sorority. That ship has sailed.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:49 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ she said she dropped (resigned her membership) from the sorority she initiated into so your option #1 isn't an option.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Could you possibly be reinstated? I don't know if any orgs do that.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolene View Post
Could you possibly be reinstated? I don't know if any orgs do that.
I know of at least one case where a sister was reinstated, but I don't know of many details except that we're talking a long time ago.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:14 AM
GreekChat Member

I also know of one. The drama of your collegiate chapter goes away as an alumna. You might at least look into it with the one and only sorority you are eligible to join.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:46 AM
Banned

But if I was lied to from before that's not fair I have to be in it for ever and not be able to join another!
I've read that some have switched sorority after being initiated in the same school? If it's really not possible how did they do it?
Old 08-31-2016, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekgreek View Post
But if I was lied to from before that's not fair I have to be in it for ever and not be able to join another!
I've read that some have switched sorority after being initiated in the same school? If it's really not possible how did they do it?
They probably lied on the internet, or lied about their previous membership. It's not possible for you, whether you think it's fair or not. Your best bet at this point is to look into reinstatement for the org you were a member of, or just not be in an NPC sorority at all.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Hey, you guys remember that woman who alum initiated into a 2nd group and got busted on the Internet? That was real drama!

OP, in case you're for real--why would you think that alums of your old group would cause the same problems as the sisters of your alum club? People do grow up.
Closed Thread