GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,450
1 members and 1,449 guests
MSKKG

Old 09-05-2014, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

The house I owned in Kansas City would have come across as the same nightmare - asbestos, poor wiring, bad plumbing. It was a constant work in progress, partly because the city vomited up these houses (and the associated public utilities) post WWII, and 60 years later they were falling down. To tear down and rebuild on these oddly large lots in working class neighborhoods wouldn't make sense, so you just band-aid your way through the next disaster. Or sell it and move to Dubai.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, believe me - I have a house built in 1930 - I'm sure old girl would be shittin' kittens if she had to look at our wiring, plumbing, etc.

I mean, I get that it's dramatized for TV, but you think Hillary would stop being surprised by all the hot mess infrastructure.

And truthfully, I'd gladly hire experts to get the bones of the house in shape and do the DIY pretty stuff myself.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm just always amazed that they are bitching about all of the costs for major renovations and then put in bazillion dollar kitchens and furniture when they could have done something very nice and been able to do a whole additional room or something for what thet spent on appliances. My other favorite, Property Brothers, does the same thing. The kitchens are beautiful, but are you really going to put that kind of kitchen in when the siding on most of these houses is atrocious? Have you noticed the costs for the lighting they choose? INSANE. Like Maroon said, do the hard stuff. I'll buy my own damn chandelier.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
There's an episode of HHI (or one of those) that showcases a friend of mine. I can tell you the stuff is wildly manipulated. I mean, I know you KNOW that, but some of the stuff I heard people say on the Dubai episode sounded completely retarded, including my friend who was in no way stupid.
Oh, definitely. You can kind of tell when they're clipping certain phrases and editing the show to make these people look worse than they actually are. But then there are the really annoying people who keep going on and on about the same thing. I watched an episode where a guy and his gf were moving to Australia, and he wanted to be near a beach. His gf had a job (not near the beach) and he didn't have a job at all at the time, and every 2 minutes he would say, ".. but it's not near the beach." I wanted to strangle him. People don't see the big picture.

Quote:
But people really do move to places on the other side of the planet and freak out because they can't have stuff just like at home. Another friend in Dubai was in an eternal state of depression over the lack of Arizona tea. Seriously, icky sweet bottled, chemically, overpriced tea is what it will take to make you happy? How about a nice iced tea made from a FRESH tea bag from Sri Lanka, just across the way from us?
Oh my. I miss some stuff from where I grew up, but I wouldn't be depressed about not having a certain drink.

Quote:
To tear down and rebuild on these oddly large lots in working class neighborhoods wouldn't make sense, so you just band-aid your way through the next disaster. Or sell it and move to Dubai.

Quote:
I'm just always amazed that they are bitching about all of the costs for major renovations and then put in bazillion dollar kitchens and furniture when they could have done something very nice and been able to do a whole additional room or something for what thet spent on appliances. My other favorite, Property Brothers, does the same thing. The kitchens are beautiful, but are you really going to put that kind of kitchen in when the siding on most of these houses is atrocious? Have you noticed the costs for the lighting they choose? INSANE. Like Maroon said, do the hard stuff. I'll buy my own damn chandelier.
Yes!

That's what drives me crazy on 'Love it or List it'. I always look at renovations and decorations and think, "Uh, I could have done all of that pretty cheap.. how does this come out to $65,000?!??!"

I'd rather have a nice looking house with "lower end" material (i.e. nice but not blatantly expensive), than 3 rooms redone with upgrades that I could never match throughout the rest of the house, should I opt to update it later.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 09-06-2014 at 12:32 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I dig Rehab Addict. Nicole Curtis has an incredible work ethic.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

My first house was a gorgeous little 1916 bungalow. It had the original hardwood floors, 16" wide crown molding, built-in dining hutch, stained glass windows --- just a sweet, well-made little house in a historic neighborhood. We had done a lot of renovation work on it but weren't quite finished when we were invited to be on our neighborhood's annual tour of homes. The walls in the laundry room were open and the circular flow of the house would take the tour right through the laundry room into the kitchen. The tour coordinators assured me that all I needed to do was hang some decorative sheets as visual blockers, creating an artificial hallway through that unfinished space.

However, at least half of the 2,000 tour guests who trooped through my house that weekend peeked behind the sheets and then had to stop and discuss the exposed knob-and-tube wiring that reminded them of Grandma's house back in Pittsburgh, or the house they grew up in in Chicago, etc. For some people, getting to see that knob-and-tube wiring was the high point of the entire tour of homes! Alas, we finished the electrical work shortly afterward so the knob-and-tube is no more… at least at that house.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:45 PM
Banned

I'm watching one of those house flipping shows. I'm getting some decorating ideas.

I tend to veer away from watching the shows and instead using the website. Straight and to the point.

As for the shows, I hope some viewers don't take much of this literally. Some of these shows make this stuff seem difficult and dramatic yet easy. One of the hosts of this show just asked his mother for some of her equity line of credit because he and his wife have gone over their limits on their house flipping business. After some pause and discussion his mom said "hmmmm...okay I trust you." Yeah because they are getting paid by hgtv. LOL.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator

I'm so glad that other people are tired of people complaining about updating knot and tube electric works, plumbing, or sewage. They're not sexy ways to spend $75,000, but you're going to have to change them to sell the house anyway. When I inherited my aunt's house, my parents gave me a wonderful gift of updating the wiring, to the tune of $9,000. In getting it ready to sell last month, I was informed that it had been a nasty job, and there was still some knob and tubing left! I felt horrible that my daddy was taken for such a ride by a former fellow contractor!

If I had the type of money that these people on Love It or List It had for updates, I'd gladly spend it for the better storage and other new ideas on space usage. However, I am still tempted to take a drink every time I hear "open concept", but I'd probably be in an alcohol induced coma by the time DH came home from work!

OPhiAGinger, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that I would have been in love with your house! I love charming homes!
Old 11-24-2014, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I totally agree, Honeychile, with being tired of the "open concept" phrase. Last weekend I had some new friends over to my new (circa 1949 mid-century modern) house. One of them took one look at a closed door near the entrance and said, "Oh, does that door close off your kitchen? I wish I could do that!"

And you would definitely have loved my little craftsman bungalow. But I bought it as a single woman and by the time I added OPhiAHubs and three little Opiate babies, we were busting at the seams. I still miss it.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPhiAGinger View Post
I totally agree, Honeychile, with being tired of the "open concept" phrase. Last weekend I had some new friends over to my new (circa 1949 mid-century modern) house. One of them took one look at a closed door near the entrance and said, "Oh, does that door close off your kitchen? I wish I could do that!"

And you would definitely have loved my little craftsman bungalow. But I bought it as a single woman and by the time I added OPhiAHubs and three little Opiate babies, we were busting at the seams. I still miss it.
"Opiate babies"? Maybe legacies would be the better term?
Old 11-26-2014, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

lol. It's not an official term. But when I was chapter president and sharing an apartment with a non-member, she got tired of taking messages for me from my OPA sisters. She started referring to them as Opiates and it stuck… at least with me.

Fast forward to when that former roommate earned her PhD, joined the faculty at an up-and-coming university, and became the faculty advisor for our chapter there. All that OPA exposure years before prepared her to be the best faculty advisor EVER. The chapter loved her so much that they made her an honorary member. So now she's an Opiate herself. Karma!
Old 11-29-2014, 01:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Has anyone seen House Hunters Pop'd? I recorded an episode not knowing what it was, and my significant other and I just got through about 45 seconds of it before we said, "Oh, hell no," and deleted it.

Seriously, who thought that would be a good idea?

@~/~~~~