GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,212
1 members and 2,211 guests
Titchou

Old 11-24-2014, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

First Generation college student at a disadvantage?

I recently decided after becoming friends with people involved in Greek life, and finding that it really interests me. Growing up I didn't know much about sororities or Greek life in general, so when I got to college I became fascinated with it. Living in my dorm with all the girls rushing that are legacies and have lots of Recs I feel like I'm at a disadvantage, especially at a school as competitive as IU. Neither of my parents went to college and the few people in my family that did never went Greek, will this really hurt my chances? I'm also a minority rushing at a majority white school.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-24-2014, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have recommendations?
Old 11-24-2014, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

How are your grades?

How is your reputation?

How open are you to joining any of the groups?

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
IndianaSigKap!

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 11-24-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgirl95 View Post
I recently decided after becoming friends with people involved in Greek life, and finding that it really interests me. Growing up I didn't know much about sororities or Greek life in general, so when I got to college I became fascinated with it. Living in my dorm with all the girls rushing that are legacies and have lots of Recs I feel like I'm at a disadvantage, especially at a school as competitive as IU. Neither of my parents went to college and the few people in my family that did never went Greek, will this really hurt my chances? I'm also a minority rushing at a majority white school.
Recommendations can come from any sorority alumnae - not just family members. Ask your high school teachers, friends' moms, coaches - anyone who went to college - if they are sorority alumnae and would be willing to write a rec for you. But, at IU recs aren't usually your ticket to a bid - connections are. Are there friends from your high school in chapters? Are you friends with them?
Old 11-24-2014, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi IUgirl95. While technically not a first generation student at IU, I was the first person in my entire extended family to go Greek. My Dad attended Purdue for a semester (we don't tell many people that), IU for a semester and graduated from a branch of IU however my mother did not attend college. There will be other women in your same situation.

Given the date, it is almost too late to submit recs for the chapters at IU. If you can make contact with a few alumnae during your Thanksgiving break, maybe. But by Christmas break, all of the sorority women will also be home from break and will not have time to read the rec before recruitment starts. Please do not be intimidated by the legacy status or recs that other women have. IU is not like the SEC, recs are not required for an invitation to the next round. They cannot hurt you, but if you do not have one it will not be an automatic cut.

There are many minority women in chapters at IU. I am on campus several times a year for sporting events and I see minority women in the Greek system. As you have probably heard, IU recruitment is a numbers game. All you can do is get the highest grades you can, put your best foot forward and be warm and genuine in your interactions with the sorority women.

Best wishes to you from a fellow Hoosier! Go IU!
Old 11-24-2014, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I have decent grades, around a 3.0. and so far the only girls I know in a house are the ones from my classes. I decided to rush really late like end of October so I thought I was out of time. I will try to see if any of my high school teachers were members of any houses and get the few Recs that I can. Overall I just feel like I have little chance with all these girls who are experienced and ready. But thank you guys for being helpful.

I don't think I have a reputation, I'm pretty cool with all the Greek people I know (except maybe some frat guys I've rejected) I don't go to parties much to get noticed either. I've been to philanthropy events and I was nice to all the girls I met.

And I'm pretty open to any house. I would prefer a housed chapter but overall if I really liked an unhoused chapter I wouldn't be upset.