GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,432
0 members and 1,432 guests
No Members online

Old 09-22-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrigamiTulip View Post
I wouldn't be surprised. Theres a group that has members on GC that is desperate to expand their trainwreck and just a while ago was begging for others here to affiliate with them.
Who? Those Theta Pi people? (I don't feel like pussyfooting today.)
Old 09-22-2007, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

They are someone from my area. They are ready to expand once again, and the girl is from my area. Though she goes to another school. It seems like a good offer.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Who? Those Theta Pi people? (I don't feel like pussyfooting today.)

Nope. Beta Epsilon/Delta Xi Omega - the group that ripped off Sigma Kappa, then affiliated with the MTV group, then left it but kept their name, and now wants to spawn new chapters, but doesn't care how, where or who.

Who are the Theta Pi people? Refresh my memory.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bianca131 View Post
They are someone from my area. They are ready to expand once again, and the girl is from my area. Though she goes to another school. It seems like a good offer.
What kind of offer, if you don't mind me asking. Purely out of curiosity.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

How did Beta Epsilon/Delta Xi Omega rip of Sigma Kappa?

Sigma Kappa
1<31->
The BEST girls wear PEARLS
Old 09-22-2007, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh no none of them. No this sorority looks pretty good. I just dont know if I should say which sorority. I posted a post before asking if anyone wanted to open a chapter. Because I wasn't sure if i wanted to start my own, but then I did. She saw my post and asked if I still wanted to.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:26 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigKapAngel767 View Post
How did Beta Epsilon/Delta Xi Omega rip of Sigma Kappa?
The link is in here: http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=89984
Old 09-22-2007, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
thank you
Old 09-22-2007, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, OTW

Sigma Kappa
1<31->
The BEST girls wear PEARLS
Old 09-22-2007, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bianca131 View Post
I just dont know if I should say which sorority. .
No, you shouldn't!

I'd like to be supportive of new local sororities but it seems these days that everyone and their mother wants to start one or quickly join a regional one. I often wonder how many of these women have taken the time to really consider what they are doing. Greek letters on a sweatshirt don't make a sorority. As someone else has pointed out, you're putting the cart before the horse.

Reviewing the history of the founding any of the NPCs or the long-standing locals might help put some things into perspective. There's a reason why these organizations have flourished and why so many others have not.

It seems these days that everyone wants instant gratification; grab some letters and insta-sorority!

To the OP, I wish you success but I hope you'll slow down a bit and give the whole thing some serious thought. (And do some research.)

Old 09-22-2007, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post
No, you shouldn't!

I'd like to be supportive of new local sororities but it seems these days that everyone and their mother wants to start one or quickly join a regional one. I often wonder how many of these women have taken the time to really consider what they are doing. Greek letters on a sweatshirt don't make a sorority. As someone else has pointed out, you're putting the cart before the horse.

Reviewing the history of the founding any of the NPCs or the long-standing locals might help put some things into perspective. There's a reason why these organizations have flourished and why so many others have not.

It seems these days that everyone wants instant gratification; grab some letters and insta-sorority!

To the OP, I wish you success but I hope you'll slow down a bit and give the whole thing some serious thought. (And do some research.)
I understand this completely and I have given this a lot of thought. I'm not rushing, I just wanted some advice and help on what I should do. I was planning to take this whole semester to do more research. I also was planning to set a meeting with few girls who share my idea and come up with a reason as to why. Although I know myself as to why, and it has nothing to do with the other sororities I didn't like. But thank you.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it is a very honorable intention to start a women's organization, but there are national sisterhood groups out there that don't fall into the traditional social sorority scene that your campus currently prohibits. Why not look at one of these instead? You can possibly receive student gov't funding and university recognition, as well as traditional, history and guidance from alumnae members.

Some friendly advice: You're in school to get an education. Please remember that. Too many people allow the running of their organization to consume their lives. It is a great thing to be involved in an activity, but that's not going to do much for you when it comes time to apply to grad school or get a job if you barely scraped by with the bare minimum GPA and no internships or networking contacts. A sorority can "help" with the networking, but it doesn't guarantee you an interview or a job.

While I whole-heartedly endorse joining locals, I don't recommend starting a local. It is a lot of work, and you have no guidance or assurance to fall back on if something goes wrong with the group, or if something happens to endanger the group. A local that has more history has alumnae support and its history to guide it. A national that is just colonizing has local and national alumnae support to guide it, as well as the history. But I think, after reading "Rush at UCSC," you should think twice about taking on this task. 4 years goes by very quickly-- take advantage of the campus resources that will help you move into a career.

A sorority, local or national, will help you develop excellent planning and interview skills, poise and self-discipline, as well as teach you how to work well with women. But starting one is a huge endeavor.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrigamiTulip View Post
Who are the Theta Pi people? Refresh my memory.
sorry, it's Theta Alpha. It was mentioned in a rush thread for UCF.

http://www.thetaalpha.org/expansion.htm