GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,370
0 members and 1,370 guests
No Members online

Old 08-18-2005, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: advice after the cuts

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmom
Perhaps someone can provide some words of wisdom to ease my breaking heart for my daughter. My daughter went through rush at UGA but dropped out after second rounds. She is a Phi Mu legacy plus had recs for Phi Mu from several sisters and recs for four other groups. She did not receive a invite back after second round to any of these groups but did receive them from other groups without any "connections". What concerns me the most is some comments that were made such as " what a cute dress- what size is that?" and "your hair is so curly - are you Jewish?". Hopefully someone out there can help me as I struggle through this.
I'm so upset to know that a fellow UGA Greek would dare to ask such a rude question as dress size or such a stereotypical one as whether curly hair indicated judaism. ::shakes head sadly::

Rush at UGA is rough and confusing. Different groups look for different things in women. I've been gone for a couple of years, so I can't really offer anything concrete as a "why" to some groups not giving invites and the ones without connections not doing it. I had at least one rec at every house when I went through at UGA, and I still got cut from 9 houses of the 18 after round one!

Did your daughter stick with rush after those cuts?
Old 08-18-2005, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

oldrusheemom, yay for your daughter! Please welcome her to our sisterhood and invite her here!
Old 08-18-2005, 07:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Sorry it is tacky to ask someone you don't even know their dress size! That is beyond WRONG

RusheeMom, congrats to your daughter and KD
Old 08-18-2005, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations to the new KAPPA DELTA!
This thread was so interesting to read. I'm glad it had a happy ending.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

oldrusheenowmom...I am so happy for you and your daughter - see it only took one! And may I just say, as a KD, what a good one it is!! (Sorry, not intending in any way to offend any other sorority - just always happy when I see a new KD).

And to pinkmom, I am so sorry your daughter's rush didn't work at UGA. I feel your pain and hope there are good things in store for her.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Oldrusheenowmom and KD daughter! What wonderful happy news! Might I suggest that you both plan a trip in the near future to their wonderful headquarters in Memphis Tennessee.
Another panhellenic sister! Yipee!
Old 08-18-2005, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Congrats to your daughter & KD!

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 08-18-2005, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Let me just add my sincere congratulations to your daughter and the women of KD. Fantastic! I love a happy ending! Thanks for being so generous with your story!
Old 08-18-2005, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Best wishes and congratulations to your daughter and Kappa Delta. The Sigma Sigma chapter at Iowa State has a long and interesting history. The 1973 KD history mentions that William C. Levere, one of the most notable SAEs, was influential in bringing KD to Iowa State, just as he had been helpful in KD's expansion to Northwestern U. a year or two before the Iowa State KDs were chartered. Fascinating bit of inter-Greek cooperation and cordial relations from nearly a century ago!
Old 08-18-2005, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Re: advice after the cuts

Quote:
Originally posted by Jhawkalum

Your daughter should talk to her recruitment counselor or a member of panhellenic judicial board about that question, because that is soooooo inappropriate if that's how it really happened.
Absolutely, PinkMom! The whole idea of having an NPC is to bring peace to the whole multi-sorority concept, not rudeness. And that's EXACTLY what the statements your daughter faced were - totally rude. If they came from a sister of mine, I sincerely apologize on her behalf - and I would hope you would PM me to let me know. I would hate to think of one of my sisters behaving like that!!

As for happyoldrusheemom - congratulations to your daughter, Kappa Delta and to you, for staying the course!! You've all come out of this as one classy family!!
Old 08-18-2005, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by exlurker
Best wishes and congratulations to your daughter and Kappa Delta. The Sigma Sigma chapter at Iowa State has a long and interesting history. The 1973 KD history mentions that William C. Levere, one of the most notable SAEs, was influential in bringing KD to Iowa State, just as he had been helpful in KD's expansion to Northwestern U. a year or two before the Iowa State KDs were chartered. Fascinating bit of inter-Greek cooperation and cordial relations from nearly a century ago!
Yes they do! They were founded in 1900 as "Secret Sisters" (or the S.S. club) after the ban on fraternal organizations was lifted at Iowa State. They were installed as a chapter of Kappa Delta in 1908 and were allowed to keep the chapter designation "Sigma Sigma" as a testament to their original group.

More history on the ISU KD website: www.stuorg.iastate.edu/kd
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

didn't mean to hit enter yet...oops ignore this

Last edited by *EtaNu*ADPi*; 08-19-2005 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Oldrusheenowmom--

CONGRATULATIONS to your daughter and to KAPPA DELTA!! I hope she has a fantastic experience! I have many friends at Iowa State and I hope she loves her house as much as they all love theirs. You did as much as you could do as a Mom! My mom was never Greek and had to hear all about Rush every night of it last year when I'd call her...I am starting to realize how anxious she probably was too!
Old 08-19-2005, 03:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: advice after the cuts

Quote:
Originally posted by Lindz928
Reminds me of the house on my campus that asked everyong, "So, what does your dad do for a living?" Not mom, just dad. HOW is that at all relevant to whether or not a girl will be at home in your house??? Beats me. I just thought it seemed spoiled and materialistic.

But, I'm so sorry that happened to her. Those are both questions that do not need to be asked during rush (at least not in that way).
Hmmmm, I bet I know which house that was

Congrats to your daughter and KD!
Old 08-19-2005, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: advice after the cuts

Quote:
Originally posted by aggieAXO
Hmmmm, I bet I know which house that was

Congrats to your daughter and KD!
Hehe I keep forgetting that there are people on GC who probably know this stuff too. Hope I'm not sounding rude.