GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,428
1 members and 2,427 guests
No Members online

Old 01-13-2003, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Political Awareness & Involvement

Soror appointed to the Ways & Means Committee

Congresswoman Stephanie Tubbs Jones Makes History as the First African-American Woman to Earn a Seat on the Ways and Means Committee

In spite of GOP Effort to Eliminate Seat at the Last Minute

Washington, DC - Democratic Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi announced last night that Congresswoman Stephanie Tubbs Jones had been selected as the newest Member on the very powerful Ways and Means Committee in the U.S. House of Representatives.

"I am pleased to have a seat on the Ways and Means Committee, as it is a long overdue honor to have an African-American woman to serve on this committee," said Rep. Tubbs Jones. "As a Member of the Ways and Means Committee, I plan to work with my colleagues to secure access to health care for every American by extending health insurance for the uninsured. In addition, I plan to work to secure national Social Security programs, such as a prescription drug benefit provide funds for the well being of our nation's children, and support tax and trade legislation that would help spur economic growth for small businesses and American families."

Rep. Tubbs Jones received overwhelming support by the Democratic Steering Committee and was praised by Pelosi who stated, "I'm very pleased that for the first time we have an African-American woman on the Ways and Means Committee."

The Democratic Steering Committee chose Reps. Tubbs Jones and Max Sandlin of Texas to fill two Democratic vacancies on the panel. The Democratic decision to name Sandlin and Tubbs Jones came shortly after the Republican Steering Committee accepted a proposal by the Ways and Means Chairman Thomas to shrink the panel by one Democrat and one Republican in spite of Republicans informing Democrats last week that the ratio would not change. Negotiations late in the evening restored both seats.

Tubbs Jones was seen as a likely choice because of her ties to Pelosi as well as the support she had from Ohio and Pennsylvania members hoping to fill the regional void.

Congresswoman Stephanie Tubbs Jones, now serving her third term, is also the first African-American woman elected to the United States House of Representatives from the State of Ohio.

Last edited by 12dn94dst; 01-13-2003 at 12:03 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-13-2003, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Whooooooooooooooo hoooooooooooooooo. I know her. We used to attend the same church back when I was a young whippersnapper.

KUDOS SOROR!!
Old 01-14-2003, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Political Action Committees

Did you know: There are political action committees (PAC) for Black women. There is one called the African American Women's Political Action Committee (LAAWPAC). Another is called Women Building for the Future also known as The Future PAC. They are dedicated to building a national network of support and funding that progressive Black Women candidates need to launch effective campaigns and win elections.

For more information about the Future PAC: you can write them at: Women Building For The Future, 4201 Wilshire Blvd., Ste. 615, Los Angeles CA 90010 or 1611 Pennsylvania Ave SE, Washington DC 20001. You can also call (323) 954-3777 or (202) 383-9103. Or you can visit the web site: http://www.futurepac.com