GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,469
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, davidjuioro5780
» Online Users: 2,130
2 members and 2,128 guests
Cookiez17, PGD-GRAD

Old 03-03-2007, 02:40 AM
GreekChat Member

?*PAPER MADE*???

Hi! I am a current college student and very interested in Greek Life. I've done my research, found info, and found the sorority that I feel is right for me. But there is one problem. The active chapter at my school are known as "paper made". I've been informed that paper made means they have not been "MADE"(I'm hoping we all know what this means), they have only went through the RUSH and/or paper process. Now I've thought about this and decided that I do not want to represent a chapter that gets no respect and I want to actually earn letters. I do not plan on transferring soon, so I was wondering what could be done to stop this process and actually have a good name within this chapter? How can these speculations against this chapter be changed? The chapter is great in volunteer work, helping our school, surrounding schools and the community but they have that one flaw which will stand out greatly with other chapters and sororties/fraternities. Help please!

Last edited by OneLovve; 03-03-2007 at 05:19 AM. Reason: People found my font colors to be offensive to thier sorority!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-03-2007, 02:45 AM
GreekChat Member

You know, I know there are different levels of respect for this whole process vs. paper/ made vs. not thing. But gee sounds like a great chapter that's following the national policy on such things.

Whatever. If the chapter is right for you, don't attempt to join. If you're not a member, why do you give a crap if they're NOT good enough for you and all these other chapters and GLOs?
Old 03-03-2007, 05:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I apoligize in everyway if I offended you but I had no prior knowledge to your sorority and is definitely NOT the sorority I was speaking of in my above statement, I was trying to use colors that wouldnt offend any greek organization but I failed, obviously and I dont mind correcting my mistake. As for my username, I have been using this username for years b4 your organization was founded, so that will not be changed and is in NO WAY affiliated with your organization. AGAIN, If you feel any disrespect, I apoligize but my first post was not to you OR you organization....

Last edited by OneLovve; 03-03-2007 at 05:28 AM.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:11 AM
GreekChat Member

If that chapter is made of paper, then there's nothing you can do about it. You'll just have to be paper too, if you get picked. I agree with you about earning your way into a GLO rather than walking your way in, because that's the way it should be, and I wouldn't have it any other way, but everyone is different. If you really want it, at this point I wouldn't too much worry about the way they make their girls at that chapter, I would concentrate on what you can bring to the organization. Remember it's not about what you do to get in, it's about what you do for the GLO once you're in. Good luck.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLovve View Post
Hi! I am a current college student and very interested in Greek Life. I've done my research, found info, and found the sorority that I feel is right for me. But there is one problem. The active chapter at my school are known as "paper made". I've been informed that paper made means they have not been "MADE"(I'm hoping we all know what this means), they have only went through the RUSH and/or paper process. Now I've thought about this and decided that I do not want to represent a chapter that gets no respect and I want to actually earn letters. I do not plan on transferring soon, so I was wondering what could be done to stop this process and actually have a good name within this chapter? How can these speculations against this chapter be changed? The chapter is great in volunteer work, helping our school, surrounding schools and the community but they have that one flaw which will stand out greatly with other chapters and sororties/fraternities. Help please!

I am going to say this as nicely as I possibly can:

You don't deserve sorority membership.

If the chapter is great in volunteer work, helping the school, helping the community, then guess what?

They're doing their damn job!

Right now, rush and a "paper" process is more than YOU have, now isn't it? They are following the rules of their organization with integrity while you sit on the outside.

You think "rush" is a cakewalk? You think that earning the vote of a chapter is easy? Guess what toots? It ain't. I know PLENTY of "qualified" women who waited ten years or more for an invitation to an alumnae chapter -- women who thought they were shoo-ins as undergrads. Heck, some women COULD have made it, if not for a missing transcript or a delayed postman.

So you think gaining a majority vote is easy.....no, not a simple majority, but sometimes a 2/3 majority? Or even a 3/4 majority?

Good luck. I hope if you DO make it, you wake up and realize how beautiful MIP can be, rather than finding out ways to undermine it. Chicks like you get chapters snatched for being stupid and LOOKING for trouble.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBoy View Post
I agree with you about earning your way into a GLO rather than walking your way in, because that's the way it should be, and I wouldn't have it any other way, but everyone is different.
I want to know in what MIP does ANYBODY just walk in? In my fraternity, you can't even submit an application if three people don't sponsor you upfront. In other orgs, I understand that the standard is even higher.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I want to know in what MIP does ANYBODY just walk in? In my fraternity, you can't even submit an application if three people don't sponsor you upfront. In other orgs, I understand that the standard is even higher.
Tell 'em boo...you'd better know more than just three or four folks...the bottom line is your interpretation of respect....
Old 03-03-2007, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This topic is a little more cut and dry than just a yes or no answer. You basically have to do what you feel is right for YOU. Don't sell yourself short and don't comprise what you really want to do for anyone. Some people will say that if the chapter is doing their jobs in all other aspects of the org that it shouldn't matter if they are "paper" or not, but that can be so untrue. I say "can" be untrue for the simple fact that at times being "made" matters while other times it doesn't. I know of "paper" chapters in my area that are known for being paper and get clowned at some of the events they attend.....and this included their own probate/coming out show. The clowning doesn't always come from outside the org b/c certain members of their own org wore roller skates to the probate show! So regardless what anyone says....it's deeper than ignoring the names and jokes. On the other hand, sometimes no one gives a flying fart if you were "made" or not as long as you are serving the org. If you have any doubt my opinion is don't do it. If it means that much to you to have a "real" process, wait until you transfer and join then. Hope this helps......
Old 03-03-2007, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the input everyone.
And there is NO NEED to be rude....calm down PLEASE.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks for the input everyone.
And there is NO NEED to be rude....calm down PLEASE.
I hope you understand that I'm not being rude in pointing out how presumtuous and not humble you came across by criticizing a chapter of the organization you HOPE to join. Senusret is right. You are an outsider and not really in a position to speculate on whether or not you'll "have a good name within this chapter."

I'm not in an NPHC, but I think being pissed off at the notion that a prospective new member would be so ballsy as to criticize the way our organizations and INITIATED members run things is universal.

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity
Old 03-03-2007, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Old 03-03-2007, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And I hope that's exactly what your rejection letter says.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akception View Post
Tell 'em boo...you'd better know more than just three or four folks...the bottom line is your interpretation of respect....

IMO I would even go as far as to say the three or four members you may know better be ACTIVE in their org....or no one is going to put much stock in their recommendations for your membership.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
LMAO
Old 03-04-2007, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You know you a fool, right!