GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,398
1 members and 2,397 guests
No Members online

Old 06-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
srmom - I think I remember Theresa saying (in the preview/first episode) that her husband was a successful entrepreneur so maybe his business is just really bringing in the dough? I find it really funny that they pull out wads of cash everytime they are going to pay for something though.
Wads of cash are always silly when you are at venues that take cards.

"I'm about to buy a new car...hmmm...let me be a tool and get out thousands of dollars from the bank."

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
Also, I don't think multi-generational money automatically = great grammar and great dress. Just like 'they' say money can't buy you class or whatever. If they talk a certain way, it is probably because their family before them spoke that way... and people tend to emulate what they know and their surroundings.
Yep--especially if the multi-generations of money are blue collar rather than educated and what would traditionally be considered upper middle class.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-03-2009, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
I love how Theresa's husband is "successful" but then when they showed his "offices" in episode one it didn't look like much was going on there. His desk appeared to be practically on top of another one in that little hole in the wall office space. They didn't even have a nice sign outside. From the looks of it, whatever he does doesn't require those types of "airs" just for the office. But it could look a little more professional.

My dad has a jar that he puts all his pocket change in for the year. He gives it to us to pay for things like vacations and Christmas presents. That is the only time I walk around with tons of cash. And yes, it's a kinda douche-y feeling (especially when it's mostly dollar bills!) But at least we get to buy those things.

As for the event facility, those events are really large scale and opulent so I would understand why Caroline's branch has wealth. Dina's wedding was held there and was on Platinum Weddings and OMG they had cigar bars, ice bars, dessert tables, and more. They even served breakfast-now that's a wedding!
Old 06-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
My dad has a jar that he puts all his pocket change in for the year. He gives it to us to pay for things like vacations and Christmas presents. That is the only time I walk around with tons of cash. And yes, it's a kinda douche-y feeling (especially when it's mostly dollar bills!) But at least we get to buy those things.
We use our petty cash for petty things like groceries, cash for trips, and the cheaper gifts. If you have a $100+ expense at a store, it seems douche-y to pull out wads of hundreds. LOL.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If you have a $100+ expense at a store, it seems douche-y to pull out wads of hundreds. LOL.
How about Theresa not even blinking an eye at the $120,000+ bill for furniture, and then pulling out the wad of cash and peeling off the $100's!!! I nearly choked! That can't be a common occurrance at many furniture stores!!

I guess it's true that if multi-generational money comes from blue-collar workers, grammar may not improve. I have just been under the impression that usually it is expected that the future generations will benefit from the money with better educational opportunites (look at Albie - he's not only really cute, but is educated ). But, I guess it's certainly not the same for all...
Old 06-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post
How about Theresa not even blinking an eye at the $120,000+ bill for furniture, and then pulling out the wad of cash and peeling off the $100's!!! I nearly choked! That can't be a common occurrance at many furniture stores!!
That would annoy me if I was the "cashier." LOL. Counting all that cash? Lame.

Quote:
I guess it's true that if multi-generational money comes from blue-collar workers, grammar may not improve. I have just been under the impression that usually it is expected that the future generations will benefit from the money with better educational opportunites (look at Albie - he's not only really cute, but is educated ). But, I guess it's certainly not the same for all...
Some will get an education. But, if they spend the majority of their time around those they grew up around, they will hold onto the grammar and other things unless they make a conscious effort to let those things go.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
One thing I found kind of "mob-like" was the fact that the one lady paid for her entire house full of furniture with $120,000+ in cash that she had in her wallet. I mean, really, who does that??
Theresa mentioned that they pay for everything in cash because the recession. IDK what the difference is between paying in cash or credit...but whatevs
Old 06-03-2009, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epchick View Post
Theresa mentioned that they pay for everything in cash because the recession. IDK what the difference is between paying in cash or credit...but whatevs
Some places give a discount for paying cash, especially if you're buying a house full of furniture and other design elements.

I personally wouldn't pay cash for large or expensive items because I like the added consumer protection that comes with using a credit card, and can just transfer the money to pay the card off.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I think Theresa's oldest daughter was a complete snot last night. I'm not sure if she's supposed to come off as cute, but she just seemed spoiled and like she'll be a complete bitch when she's 16.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
As for the event facility, those events are really large scale and opulent so I would understand why Caroline's branch has wealth. Dina's wedding was held there and was on Platinum Weddings and OMG they had cigar bars, ice bars, dessert tables, and more. They even served breakfast-now that's a wedding!
Welcome to an east-coast Italian wedding.

You guys are all cracking me up. These aren't MOB things. This is how people of this culture (Italian in this case) do things over there. The weddings are huge and elaborate and the average per plate price is $175... for just your general wedding type food. I wish someone else from Jersey or NY would come on here and back me up.

And I'm sorry if northerners who come from old money aren't all prim and proper like southern old money. After being a member of Greekchat, I thank God that I wasn't raised like half of you. Even being raised in a closed-minded, old-country Sicilian family, I can still respect and not assume things about other cultures. Just because you saw it on the Sopranos or The Godfather, doesn't mean it's mob.

KLTC
Old 06-03-2009, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM_Mama00 View Post

You guys are all cracking me up. These aren't MOB things. This is how people of this culture (Italian in this case) do things over there. The weddings are huge and elaborate and the average per plate price is $175... for just your general wedding type food. I wish someone else from Jersey or NY would come on here and back me up.

And I'm sorry if northerners who come from old money aren't all prim and proper like southern old money. After being a member of Greekchat, I thank God that I wasn't raised like half of you. Even being raised in a closed-minded, old-country Sicilian family, I can still respect and not assume things about other cultures. Just because you saw it on the Sopranos or The Godfather, doesn't mean it's mob.
I guess you exposure east coast old money is different than mine. Everyone I know would be utterly mortified if someone from my family acted like any of those people on the show.

I don't think any of them are as wealthy as they portray. And who the hell carries around $100,000 in CASH!
Old 06-03-2009, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
Quote:

I did not mean to imply mob affiliation. I meant quite the opposite. That they have money because the weddings at their facility are so elaborate and expensive.

I have not had the pleasure of going to a wedding like that because all my friends are not so well off, but hopefully one day I'll be able to roll with the best of them. If not, then my daughter's quincenera or sweet sixteen (whichever one she chooses) is going to be "off the chain". I'll make sure of it.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
These aren't MOB things. This is how people of this culture (Italian in this case) do things over there.
Most of us know this.

We are talking about stereotypes and media imagery. The question was what brought about the mob rumor. I believe that Bravo and the families knew what popular images they were playing with.

Last edited by DrPhil; 06-03-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
I just wanted to quote this soapbox. LOL.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I wish someone else from Jersey or NY would come on here and back me up.
My dad was born and raised in New Jersey...but he isn't Italian so he hasn't really experienced any of this.

and in case anyone didn't know yet both Teresa and Jacqueline are pregnant.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Jersey through and through. I find all of this hilarious. Granted this is also North Jersey, and as a shore girl I'm a little critical, especially when they invade my turf.