GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,202
0 members and 2,202 guests
No Members online

Old 04-07-2010, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transfer View Post
Hi! I will be transferring to Ole Miss in the fall and I will be a sophomore. I can't wait to be there! I did not rush at my current school because I knew that I would be transferring back south to be closer to home. I definitely want to rush and join a sorority. I'm a little worried though....I REALLY, really, really, do not want this to turn into a racial argument but if anyone can answer my questions, that'd be great! I am African-American and I know that not many African-American girls at Ole Miss choose to rush the NPC sororities(or even the NPHC ones for that matter!) So i was wondering if any Black girls at Ole Miss have recently been given bids to one of the NPC sororities? I'm in NO way assuming that the girls are racist or prejudice in any way, but, judging from my friend's Facebook pictures, it looks like no Black girls participated in 2009 rush!! I really want to join one of the NPC sororities but I don't know how good my chances are...? I am from New Orleans, went to a private school, received a full tuition scholarship to college, have a solid GPA, and I like to present myself in a respectable way. Also, I spent my freshman year of high school at a private school in Jackson, MS(due to Katrina). All of my friends from that school who go to Ole Miss pledged either Chi O, Tri Delt, KD, or Delta Gamma. I also know a lot of older girls in those sororities. I have remained in contact with many of my friends from Jackson and many of them are excited for me to be coming to Ole Miss. I will also have recs. So...I'm just wondering what rush will be like and if I will get a bid just because I know that I will probably be one of the only Black girls rushing! Again, I am not assuming that the girls are prejudice(like i said, i am friends with a lot of them and they are some of the sweetest girls I've ever met!), I am just wondering what my chances will be like because I have nothing to go off of since my friends and I don't know any Black girls who have rushed at Ole Miss!!! Thanks!!
I would suggest reading this thread you posted in (regarding the general competitiveness of Ole Miss itself). Being a transfer (and non-freshman) makes for a VERY tough recruitment.

And this thread. Yes it got a little interesting, but I think there are links to other NPC and race-related threads in it:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=105378

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

There are African-American members in at least 3 sororities at Ole Miss currently.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:28 PM
transfer

Awesome!! Thanks for the help
Old 04-07-2010, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

transfer - please come back later this year and share your recruitment experience with us. Good Luck to you!
Old 04-07-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Do you know which ones they are in?
Even if she did, I don't think she should tell you. The last thing you need is to say "well, ABC, XYZ and PQR take Af-Am members, so I'll concentrate on those." That isn't how you should go into NPC rush. Even if you say you will keep an open mind, it'll still skew the way you think about the groups.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:40 PM
transfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Even if she did, I don't think she should tell you. The last thing you need is to say "well, ABC, XYZ and PQR take Af-Am members, so I'll concentrate on those." That isn't how you should go into NPC rush. Even if you say you will keep an open mind, it'll still skew the way you think about the groups.
Good point. I wasn't thinking about it that way. I do want to go into rush with a completely open mind.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:40 PM
transfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baci View Post
transfer - please come back later this year and share your recruitment experience with us. Good Luck to you!
I definitely will! Thanks for the good wishes
Old 04-07-2010, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Amen.

Just remember no matter what, Ole Miss has a very competitive and tough recruitment for all potential new members. So keep an open mind, get your recs, and have fun.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:13 PM
transfer

Hi, I have another question...

How do I go about setting up meetings with alumna to see if they would be willing to write a recommendation? Do I go through the national website for a specific chapter? There are a couple of chapters where I do not have my recs lined up yet. Thanks!
Old 04-09-2010, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hi, I have another question...

How do I go about setting up meetings with alumna to see if they would be willing to write a recommendation? Do I go through the national website for a specific chapter? There are a couple of chapters where I do not have my recs lined up yet. Thanks!
You can look at each sorority's "national" website and look up alumnae clubs in your area. All 9 sororities are Ole Miss have lots of alumnae chapters so there is probably an alumnae chapter in your area. Then send them an email to request a rec. Some sorority alumnae might want to meet face to face. Some might just want to talk on the phone. There might even be a Panhellenic Group in your hometown. So be sure to check on www.npcwomen.org to see if there is a NPC group.

Also, it is always a good idea to send your resume, transcripts, and a picture to each house on campus. This way the chapter has that information on file in case they don't receive a rec for you.

Message me if you have any other specific questions.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

bump!
Old 09-13-2010, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Great article about recruitment numbers this year at Ole Miss!
http://www.thedmonline.com/article/recruitment-rise
Old 09-13-2010, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Yikes! That is a lot of women! And at a 92% placement rate, that means pledge classes could be quite large. With regards to adding a new group, where would they go physically? If I am not mistaken, there is no room left on sorority row or rebel drive is there? Especially with the addition of that new dorm. OleMissGlitter, didn't they recently demolish a fraternity house or two? Do you think a group could do well if it was over with the fraternities instead of on sorority row/rebel drive?

Old 09-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

i know it's a different campus, but pi beta phi at university of florida is located on fraternity row, which is in a different part of campus than panhellenic drive. They are doing just fine. if i am not mistaken, kappa kappa gamma at uf also is not situated on panhellenic drive, but is closer to the majority of the sororities than pi phi.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I was looking at their chapter websites, and the numbers of members in each chapter seems to vary quite a bit, from 112 to over 300...just thinking if they could have pledge classes over 100, that means that some chapters would have over 400 members. Yikes! Can you even get everyone inside the house for chapter meetings???? and for the smaller chapters, you could end up almost doubling your chapter size - how do you have enough big sisters????