GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,506
1 members and 2,505 guests
Xidelt

Old 08-19-2007, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

2007 LSU recruitment?

Recruitment started today at LSU. Anyone know anything?

A link to LSU's sorority recruitment schedule for anyone who's interested:
http://appl003.lsu.edu/slas/greekaff...le%20Final.doc
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-23-2007, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
I know three girls going through. Girl 1: Was cut heavy for Round 2 invites but is excited by still having her top choices for Round 3. Girl 2: No clue how she is doing. Girl 3: Was cut severely for Round 2 and has withdrawn from recruitment.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Bid day festivities begin around 3:30 today at LSU. I know one girl going through. She was released by two groups after round one, probably due to the release figure policies, but had no other releases during the week. She has been in complete control of her party schedule. She seemed to have the perfect attitude all week. When asked about her favorites, she replied "I love them all." She attended three prefs yesterday. Congratulations to her. I hope she gets her first choice! She seems to have had a great experience, which doesn't always happen at an SEC school. Surviving sorority recruitment sometimes can be a resume quality achievement.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Bid Day was yesterday. So far I know of two Kappas, four Tri Delts, and a Chi-O. Everyone I know that went through seems pretty happy.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Tri-Delt x 4, is that a dozen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouKat View Post
Bid Day was yesterday. So far I know of two Kappas, four Tri Delts, and a Chi-O. Everyone I know that went through seems pretty happy.
Wahoo, 4 new Delta Belles!

Congrats to everyone. I'm just partial.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Anyone know what quota was and who made it?
Old 08-29-2007, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

2007 LSU Recruitment

My daughter went through 2007 Rush at LSU as a sophomore. Like everyone else, she had the "total package" personally, but was not a legacy. What an experience. She was cut from 7 of the 10 sororities after round one. Interesting since she had rec letters from a local chapter alum president AND national chapter alum president and was cut from both. She was invited back to 4 parties for round two, 3 parties for round three, and 3 parties for preference night. She fell in love with one particular sorority from the get go and they carried her through to the end. She listed them as her one and only bid (since she couldn't see herself in either of the other 2) and was called to say that she wasn't released, but not high enough on the bid list to make quota. Not sure if they'll offer spring recruitment. Of course, she was very disappointed and is trying desperately to figure out why. Do the girls who vote actually read the resumes and rec letters of the rushees? Did the fact that she was a sophomore significantly reduce her chances? Does anyone have experience with upperclassmen rushing at LSU, what the success rate is in the fall, and if it's worth her trying again in the spring if they offer it? I knew SEC schools were competitive but as a non-Greek mom, it's really a very confusing process. Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 08-29-2007, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeMom View Post
My daughter went through 2007 Rush at LSU as a sophomore. Like everyone else, she had the "total package" personally, but was not a legacy. What an experience. She was cut from 7 of the 10 sororities after round one. Interesting since she had rec letters from a local chapter alum president AND national chapter alum president and was cut from both. She was invited back to 4 parties for round two, 3 parties for round three, and 3 parties for preference night. She fell in love with one particular sorority from the get go and they carried her through to the end. She listed them as her one and only bid (since she couldn't see herself in either of the other 2) and was called to say that she wasn't released, but not high enough on the bid list to make quota. Not sure if they'll offer spring recruitment. Of course, she was very disappointed and is trying desperately to figure out why. Do the girls who vote actually read the resumes and rec letters of the rushees? Did the fact that she was a sophomore significantly reduce her chances? Does anyone have experience with upperclassmen rushing at LSU, what the success rate is in the fall, and if it's worth her trying again in the spring if they offer it? I knew SEC schools were competitive but as a non-Greek mom, it's really a very confusing process. Any advice would be appreciated!

None of us were in the room when membership selection was done, so none of us can answer most of these questions.

The one question that can be answered is, yes, being a soph. probably hurt her chances.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm sorry for jumping in here, but it seems as if your daughter 'suicided'. That probably hurt her chances of getting a bid.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Do the girls who vote actually read the resumes and rec letters of the rushees? Did the fact that she was a sophomore significantly reduce her chances?
Logically, at LSU, you're dealing with many rushees (PNMs) and many pieces of paper. In general, I would say that the info. from the resumes is relayed to the members, but probably in a different format. The manner in which this is done would vary from group to group.

Typically in schools like LSU, the top-rushing chapters will target primarily Freshmen. I have no idea how many upper classmen pledge each year. Perhaps someone from LSU can enlighten us on that.

I am sorry your daughter's experience did not work out how she wished.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

LSU Recruitment 2007

Yes, she did "suicide" as they recommend you do if in your heart, you really can't see yourself in the other 2 options. This did give her a 33% chance of getting her first choice. It's a chance she took and it didn't work out. She had made a decision from the beginning that she wouldn't just join "any" one for the sake of being in a sorority. It was a brave decision.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes, she did "suicide" as they recommend you do if in your heart, you really can't see yourself in the other 2 options. This did give her a 33% chance of getting her first choice. It's a chance she took and it didn't work out. She had made a decision from the beginning that she wouldn't just join "any" one for the sake of being in a sorority. It was a brave decision.
I can tell that from reading the NPC posts on recruitment, (I'm in a NPHC sorority btw), the NPC ladies would advise PNM to maximize their chances by listing all chapters on their pref card. Somewhere in this recruitment forum there is a thread about 'ending up where you belong'. I think the gist of the thread is that you may not have gotten the chapter you wanted, but since you got into a chapter, then after time you may realize that was probably the best chapter for you.

I can tell you that from reading LSU and other SEC schools recruitment posts on GC, the fact that your daughter had three chances as a sophomore at pref night was actually pretty good. I would venture to *guess* that if she listed all three, she would have probably gotten into one of them.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
I'm sorry for jumping in here, but it seems as if your daughter 'suicided'. That probably hurt her chances of getting a bid.
My thoughts exactly.

Even being a sophomore, the daughter wound up with a full pref. schedule. That is great because some freshmen didn't even have that. If the daughter didn't feel like she "fit" with the other two, that's fine. She freed a spot for girls who wanted to be there.

Now as to what she should do, it just depends. A chapter could COB but it would be for so few girls that they would ask members to suggest friends. If she has friends in such a chapter it would help. If she decided to wait for fall 2008 formal then that is another story. I have only seen a handful of girls as juniors receive bids and two seniors. All had tons of activities, above a 3.5 GPA and friends in the chapters.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
I can tell that from reading the NPC posts on recruitment, (I'm in a NPHC sorority btw), the NPC ladies would advise PNM to maximize their chances by listing all chapters on their pref card.
If she would rather eat worms than accept a bid from a group, she should not list them on her pref card.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
If she would rather eat worms than accept a bid from a group, she should not list them on her pref card.
Exactly -- some women don't want a bid any ol' where -- and that's a choice she made, knowing the consequences.