GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 860
2 members and 858 guests
g41965, Sarak24034

Old 09-30-2003, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Curious about something

Im a little confused about something, im not sure how this whole alumnae thing works. Ok so here is what i dont understand, if u were not in an org in college or i guess if u were u can join one after as an alumnae, so what are u considered then. Do u have an intiation like when u were a collegiate member or they have a different type or non at all. Can someone please explain this process to me and how it works and what is the point?

Thanks, sorry im just a little confused
Old 09-30-2003, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

There are several threads explaining this, started by CutiePie2000, I believe.

Basically, alumnae initiation occurs in NPC groups for women who were not in a sorority (or an NPC sorority, to be more exact) in college. Either they seek out the sorority, or women in the sorority who they are friendly with seek them out. The process varies greatly from sorority to sorority. I would say DG, Alpha Phi, and Gamma Phi Beta have really been pulling in AIs, just based on what I have seen on GC. I know in Gamma Phi we are putting a big emphasis on it and it has been featured in our magazine, as it was in DGs, when our very own DGMarie wrote the article!

Some cases where women I know are seeking or have sought out AI:
  • Our chancellor's wife at my chapter of initiation. When we were a local in the 1950s she was our president, campus homecoming queen, etc. It was awesome to see things come full circle and watch her become a Gamma Phi Beta.
  • Our Greek advisor at my chapter of initiation - she never went Greek in college, for whatever reasons, and we thought a Greek advisor would understand things better if she was Greek herself.
  • My mommy, very slowly! She put herself through Marquette, which is a relatively anti-Greek school, and so never had the time or money to be involved with a sorority.
  • A woman I know who just graduated who never rushed in college because she thought you had to be invited.
We can't really discuss initiation procedures, for obvious reasons, but I think it is safe to say that everyone is initiated with collegians, from what I've been able to tell on GC.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
We can't really discuss initiation procedures, for obvious reasons, but I think it is safe to say that everyone is initiated with collegians, from what I've been able to tell on GC.
Sometimes alum initiates are also initiated at convention, especially if they are not close to a collegiate chapter.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

What exactly is the point of doing this though? I just not sure while doing this in college is the obvious reasons but what is the point of doing it afterwood. Is it possible to still get out of it what u got out of it in your collegiate years?
Old 09-30-2003, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Energizer420
What exactly is the point of doing this though? I just not sure while doing this in college is the obvious reasons but what is the point of doing it afterwood. Is it possible to still get out of it what u got out of it in your collegiate years?
Oh God. No, you obviously aren't going to get to go to swaps with KA and toga parties, or live in the house. However, you are only a collegiate for a few short years - the bulk of your sorority life is spent as an alum. You can easily share wonderful experiences with your alum chapter - programming mine has planned this semester includes a wine and cheese party (our version of a kegger???), a kickboxing lesson (our version of going to the rec center???), a Founders' Day celebration, a dues paying marathon (similair to the FVP calling everyone and yelling), a gift-wrapping fundraiser (philanthropy), and a holiday date party (there's your swap). That is just our programming for October through December, so I would say you can still get a lot out of this. I really think you should go search through some old threads on AI, many of the GC AIs explain why they are pursuing AI much better than I could for them.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:25 AM

Quote:
O.k. so here is what i dont understand, if u were not in an org in college or i guess if u were u can join one after as an alumnae, so what are u considered then.
I'm not 100% clear on your question, so I will just write that, if you were fully initiated into NPC membership during college, you *cannot * be initiated into a different NPC group after college.

And on to the rest of your questions....

Well, as the saying goes, "you get out what you put into it"...
I was looking for networking opportunities, friendships and good ol' fashioned sisterhood. I have met and befriended DGs all over my country and also in Australia. I've been pretty mobile these past 2 years, living in 4 different cities. The constant throughout? My Delta Gamma sisters and friends.

BTW: here is a beautiful testimony about AI, written by a Zeta.
------------------------
and a wonderful post from "BrownEyedGirl" who is also a ZTA:
http://forums.greekchat.com/gcforums...5&pagenumber=7

As a collegiate Zeta Tau Alpha (for just another week!), I thought I'd chime in here and share a really great AI story with y'all. I, too, knew nothing about AI until I read some really heart-warming (and very addictive) threads here on GC. This past fall, my chapter pledged 50 beautiful new members, and one fantastic alumna new member. She owns Tiger Lily, the flower and gift shop that has been an indispensable help to us during Recruitment, Parents' Weekend, Formals, Christmas parties, you name it - for the past five or six years. She has been the "florist of choice", if you will, for a number of sororities here at Clemson because she absolutely bends over backwards to make sure anything you need or want is done, and done beautifully. I won't hazard a guess at her age, because it doesn't really matter, but I know that she has been out of college for thirty or so years.

She had become close friends with one of our advisors (a local resident and Province President who literally founded this chapter) since ZTA began here, and our advisor eventually approached her with the idea of initiating. The process, of which most of us in the collegiate chapter were entirely unaware, took a while but in the end our AI, Margaret, was able to pledge and initiate with our 2002 new member class. She has, if it's possible, become even more devoted to Zeta and to our chapter - doing anything and everything you could possibly imagine to further whatever we are working on or planning. In every sense of the word, she is our sister.

Seeing her during initiation, surrounded by all of her collegiate chapter sisters, and by many South Carolina alumnae who had come for the special initiation - was absolutely touching. I may never have really understood the purpose of AI until that moment, but it's now entirely clear to me. Zeta has added so much to my life, and shaped me in so many ways - whatever a person must do to be a part of that friendship, commitment, and bond - they'll do it.

I have great respect for all of the AI's and PNAM's - you have a drive and a desire that really says volumes about you, as it does about our own AI here in Clemson. Every time I read these threads I think about her, and how lucky we are to have "snatched her up", as we say about formal recruitment. Any sorority would be lucky to have all of you work to further their ideals and strengthen their sisterhoods. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 09-30-2003 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-30-2003, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

CutiePie, what a great story!

Egizer, for lack of a better thing to even try to top this, College is 4/5 years. Because of economics or for what ever reason some people cannot go through College Rush or choose not to! But, the feeling was there to be with a Goup that they may have wanted to be with from afar.

They have the drive to be with some Sisterhood again, and I for one congratulate the NPC for going in this dierction.

It seems much harder in NIC, but I have had several PM's regarding Husbands of NPC members and cannot give a defenite answer. Many times, the women who go AI get more involved than just going through College Rush. It is 10 fold times harder to have to deal with.

They are much more appreciative and strive harder to do well.

They become some of the Best Members of that Organization!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-30-2003, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, I've read this thread a couple of times and have a question.

Are you asking about Alumnae Initiation (i.e., the woman was not in a greek org in college) or about joining an alumnae chapter of Phi Mu after you graduate? In reading your two posts, I don't get that your asking about AI.

However, Kathleen's post answers either one..........
Old 09-30-2003, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Things are done a little bit differently in the Historically Black Divine Nine. It is very common to induct Alums, some even perform in step shows or other "coming out" events -I've seen men with wedding rings and beer bellies get in front of a group of people and profess their love for their org. Alums may be inducted in these orgs either with undergrads or separately - it varies by region. It always has seemed odd to me that more NPC orgs don't stress the post graduation years, but it's been good to find this thread and see that it's becoming more popular.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rho4life
Things are done a little bit differently in the Historically Black Divine Nine. It is very common to induct Alums, some even perform in step shows or other "coming out" events -I've seen men with wedding rings and beer bellies get in front of a group of people and profess their love for their org. Alums may be inducted in these orgs either with undergrads or separately - it varies by region. It always has seemed odd to me that more NPC orgs don't stress the post graduation years, but it's been good to find this thread and see that it's becoming more popular.
I think this is something the NPC and NIC could take a clue from the NPHC on - they have always stressed graduate level involvement much more than we have.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

OH MY!! The "beautiful testimony" for which CutiePie provided the link really got me choked up. I know that I am making the right choice as I travel the path toward AI. I do believe that life is a series of relationships, and I intended to form and keep the bonds of sisterhood.

Energizer420...imagine your Phi Mu sisters with walkers and bifocals. Imagine your Phi Mu sisters gathering around you with kindness and compassion when your husband dies or your children move away. Imagine their gratitude when you do the same for them. That's why I want to be an Alumna Initiate.

LM

Be a Volunteer!
Old 09-30-2003, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Why I Stay Involved...

I was in a sorority in college and now am active post college. I decided to get involved because being in a sorority changed my life. It made me a better, well-rounded woman. And I want to make sure that other young women will have that benefit.

My best friend is a sister I would never have met if I had not alum initated or started to volunteer. I have the greatest bonds and experience true sisterhood on an almost daily basis. We share life events as well as sorority events. And not having any biological sisters, its so exciting!

To me, being an active alum has been "better" than my collegiate experience--there's less drama! I hope you find that someday too!
Old 09-30-2003, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LouisaMay
[.

Energizer420...imagine your Phi Mu sisters with walkers and bifocals. Imagine your Phi Mu sisters gathering around you with kindness and compassion when your husband dies or your children move away. Imagine their gratitude when you do the same for them. That's why I want to be an Alumna Initiate.

LM [/B]

I have seen the Delta Sigma Thetas show up en masse at funerals for members who were active well into their 70's. Sadly, this doesn't make the news as much as partying
Old 09-30-2003, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok i got it now, thank you for helping me understand this. Ok but i have one last question if you are already and alumnae to a glo from which u were once a collegiate member, do you still have to be intiated into an alumnae chapter, if this glo is the same glo you were in college? Otherwise i got the idea of the other stuff and thanks again
Old 09-30-2003, 11:48 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Ok i got it now, thank you for helping me understand this. Ok but i have one last question if you are already and alumnae to a glo from which u were once a collegiate member, do you still have to be intiated into an alumnae chapter, if this glo is the same glo you were in college? Otherwise i got the idea of the other stuff and thanks again
No, you don't have to be initiated into the alumnae chapter.

However, I know some groups have special ceremonies marking this new chapter in life. In my last semester, I, along with the other seniors, went through a Senior Rededication ceremony where we were formally welcomed into the alumnae chapter. It was a beautiful ceremony that pretty much reaffirmed our loyalty and sisterhood with AGD.

The sisterhood doesn't stop with graduation!