GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,277
1 members and 1,276 guests
Cookiez17

Old 11-10-2012, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

If anyone in the Bham area needs an Alpha Phi rec, PM me as I can put them in touch with one of their alums here. And keep in mind that we don't need to know you personally. We just need to know someone who does that we trust.

And yes, Hart, we get together and go over the lists of women from various schools who are going thru recruitment. We may be "new again" at Alabama but we do know how it works.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartofsec View Post
Terrific! I didn't know the PH group had finally come to fruition and gotten "off the ground" so to speak.

Thanks for the info -- that really is a win/win. Will this include info on locating alums in the various communities that can write personal recommendations (like a list or something?).

The Rush Biddies will probably want to set up a booth.
Yes, they will be able to "register" for future rec possibilities. They can presently do that...and we had several who contacted APH this fall. The president would simply email the groups on the PNM's campus and we'd take care of it. If you're in town, perhaps you should talk with your alum president. Am sure she knows all about us as we have contacted every NPC group in town.

Last edited by Titchou; 11-10-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Alum PH has a FB page and a web site if they need other groups as well. And very few Bham girls went without a rec from us this year. They may not have know about it - but we had one.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Alum PH has a FB page and a web site if they need other groups as well. And very few Bham girls went without a rec from us this year. They may not have know about it - but we had one.
LOL. Isn't that what we say on GC all the time?

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 11-11-2012, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

http://birminghampanhellenic.yolasite.com/

This is the web site. Hart failed to notice the one she posted is not Birmingham, AL.

Please do direct any Birmingham, ALABAMA area women to this one.

Last edited by Titchou; 11-11-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
http://birminghampanhellenic.yolasite.com/

This is the web site. Hart failed to notice the one she posted is not Birmingham, AL.

Please do direct any Birmingham, ALABAMA area women to this one.
LOL - yes it may be very difficult to learn about BAMA recruitment on the Birmingham MICHIGAN site. Although they can probably get plenty of good help from Michigan DGs and Gamma Phis?
Old 11-11-2012, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Before everyone got all worked up about the websites - remember having good recs from someone that knows you well from each sorority just makes you a BETTER candidate. Not having a rec from a sorority puts you at a disadvantage - it doesn't eliminate you (thanks in part to the hard work behind the scenes of alums like Titchou.)

The other thing to remember might be (especially if you are OOS) that if you are going to a school and you don't know anyone in the sorority and you don't know anyone at home from the sorority that you might really benefit from looking hard at the sororities where you do know someone. It might help later with having friends when you go home for the summer or with networking? Just my 2 cents worth...
Old 11-11-2012, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQWest View Post
Before everyone got all worked up about the websites - remember having good recs from someone that knows you well from each sorority just makes you a BETTER candidate. Not having a rec from a sorority puts you at a disadvantage - it doesn't eliminate you (thanks in part to the hard work behind the scenes of alums like Titchou.)
I actually kind of agree with you.

But that is not what is preached on this absolutely, positively must have a personal rec/what-do-you-not-understand-about-this/ MAKE-or-BREAK thread:

Quote:
Not to be snarky, but what part of "absolutely positively need" don't you understand????
Yes, they are needed in the spring. And yes, personal recs are needed. Info only doesn't cut it. They can get that same info from your registration form, FB page, school yearbook. The really true reason for the rec is the intangible - your character. And it isn't a recommendation unless the writer recommends you for membership - and an info only one does carry that recommendation.

Regarding rec-writing practices of which girls are unaware -- those questions/points were ignored:

Notwithstanding the eleventh-hour calls just prior to and during rush, regarding girls that a chapter is interested in but who do not have a rec, I don’t totally understand the practice of writing recs on girls who are unaware that this is being done. If you preach to girls that they must have a rec from someone who can vouch for them personally, then why doesn’t the alum writing the rec just call the girl and request the information from her?

At what point do these skate the edge of the “info only” recs that you say are not acceptable?

Also -- if a PNM is unaware that she has a rec -- and knows that a rec is necessary to pledge -- isn't it possible that she may take this into consideration when ranking her invites?

Last edited by Hartofsec; 11-11-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

But that is not what is preached on this absolutely, positively must have a personal rec/what-do-you-not-understand-about-this/ MAKE-or-BREAK thread:

Regarding rec-writing practices of which girls are unaware -- those questions/points were ignored:

Notwithstanding the eleventh-hour calls just prior to and during rush, regarding girls that a chapter is interested in but who do not have a rec, I don’t totally understand the practice of writing recs on girls who are unaware that this is being done. If you preach to girls that they must have a rec from someone who can vouch for them personally, then why doesn’t the alum writing the rec just call the girl and request the information from her?

At what point do these skate the edge of the “info only” recs that you say are not acceptable?

Also -- if a PNM is unaware that she has a rec -- and knows that a rec is necessary to pledge -- isn't it possible that she may take this into consideration when ranking her invites?
She could hope to be the exception if she falls in love with a house. Think of all the stories we have heard. If she likes it well enough putting it higher with ranking won't necessarily hurt her.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 11-11-2012, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

So that if she falls in love with a chapter AND the chapter falls in love with her she can still get a bid.

Think of the "info only" rec like a background check. If a chapter wants to have a good mix of people or wants to build on their existing strengths they might take a chance on someone who is awesome but they just met day one of recruitment.

So Hartofsec - since encouraging young women and promoting your sorority is obviously of interest to you - have you volunteered with a chapter or to help your area Panhellenic?
Old 11-15-2012, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Last edited by brighteyedgirl; 11-15-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, that's what a rec is - an introduction. So if you want the chapter members to know how wonderful you are before you step foot in the house, get recs!
Old 11-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brighteyedgirl View Post
I know everyone has said that you need them at Indiana, but I had my Rho Gamma meeting last night, and when I brought up the questions, the girls in my group looked pretty confused. My Rho Gamma told me that while I could send them, most girls actually didn't have them and they were only for introduction.

Is this true??
No. What you were told is the standard party line.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Recs at Indiana are a great way to get your foot in the door before rush, but the vast majority of PNMs coming through don't have them.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

excuse me, IUHoosiergirl88, can you please clarify something for me? When you write that "the vast majority of PNMs coming through don't have" recs, do you mean only in reference to your own chapter?

I ask, honestly, because I wouldn't know if a PNM had a rec for ADPi or any other chapter; only for my own chapter.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity