GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,813
3 members and 1,810 guests
indygphib, naraht, Xidelt

Old 04-16-2009, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

KSIG secrets

the reason why im guessing our organization must not and can not reveal it is because it is still a secret that you dont know unless you are in it.....or a angry KE got pissed off after ebing kicked out and decided to blab....
but im pretty sure this isnt secret

to this day in congress they have on file all the rituals and etc... and have witnessed them when a while back( i forget the year) the govt was really cracking down on hazing when people started dying left and right. So they ordered all to show before them what they do and ensure that it was harmless. well during this time one of the members in charge in congress was a KE alumni and made it so we did not have to show anything so even to this day we are the only ones who no one has seen them done

and the 1400's thing......i wont argue about it because i know everyone here has things they know about a greek organization that cant be said. so im not really tryin to pick a fight. more kinda say if you wanna ask

what is thee oldest fraternity in America i havent a clue
but oldest in the world is a different story.. you guys have to think that our country is still very young and chances are over in europe thhey still have them just a lot of us dont bother to look around or ask...

i tend to tell people at my school the following phrase

oh your not greek?
no ones perfect lol .....they know its all in good fun.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-16-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEarmy View Post

to this day in congress they have on file all the rituals and etc... and have witnessed them when a while back( i forget the year) the govt was really cracking down on hazing when people started dying left and right. So they ordered all to show before them what they do and ensure that it was harmless. well during this time one of the members in charge in congress was a KE alumni and made it so we did not have to show anything so even to this day we are the only ones who no one has seen them done
Sorry, but that is an urban myth (or Greek urban myth, like the 'brothel laws'). I do not believe that the Library of Congress (who I guess you are refering to when you say Congress) has any rituals on file. When did government officials order the fraternities to show their rituals?

And, while there have unfortunately been cases of people dying due to hazing, I do not believe that people were "dying left and right".

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 04-16-2009, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
to this day in congress they have on file all the rituals and etc... and have witnessed them when a while back( i forget the year) the govt was really cracking down on hazing when people started dying left and right. So they ordered all to show before them what they do and ensure that it was harmless. well during this time one of the members in charge in congress was a KE alumni and made it so we did not have to show anything so even to this day we are the only ones who no one has seen them done.
As LaneSig said, a Greek Urban Legend. The one thing that changes with the telling is whether it was Reagan who kept the Teke ritual out, Truman who kept the Lambda Chi ritual out . . . .
Old 04-16-2009, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Sorry, but that is an urban myth (or Greek urban myth, like the 'brothel laws'). I do not believe that the Library of Congress (who I guess you are refering to when you say Congress) has any rituals on file. When did government officials order the fraternities to show their rituals?

And, while there have unfortunately been cases of people dying due to hazing, I do not believe that people were "dying left and right".

Actually both are not myths

I know for a fact that ours is not on file for the following reasons
I have been there numerous times when i lived in Dc being stationed in the army and actually looked there for hard copies and found nothign while i did find other fraternities ritual books there but they were in a different section.. i asked and the guide said when they did it they put them in a different seciton etc..... to discourage thoose checking on it

and as for the brothel thing im guessing your talking about cities saying no to sororities wanting houses atleast thats the way it is in flint.
That is not a myth i asked a judge who lives by our house and am a police officer now and looked up county laws and it says in it (i cant remember exact words) no place shall allow its residents to be of 5 or more females belonging to a Female only organization which i ncase would therefore be considered a brothel.......

Its a stupid law and if you ask me pretty sexist especially in flint. Which is becoming a big college town when we have u of m flint,baker,mott,and kettering all within 3 miles of each other.

I pologize for my typing also my wrist is busted up

bird+me on crotch rocket= hurt hand
Old 04-16-2009, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Actually both are not myths

I have been there numerous times when i lived in Dc being stationed in the army and actually looked there for hard copies and found nothign while i did find other fraternities ritual books there but they were in a different section.. i asked and the guide said when they did it they put them in a different seciton etc..... to discourage thoose checking on it
Wait...you know for a fact it's not a myth because you haven't seen them?

Quote:
and as for the brothel thing im guessing your talking about cities saying no to sororities wanting houses atleast thats the way it is in flint.
That is not a myth i asked a judge who lives by our house and am a police officer now and looked up county laws and it says in it (i cant remember exact words) no place shall allow its residents to be of 5 or more females belonging to a Female only organization which i ncase would therefore be considered a brothel.......
Give us a link to the law to prove it.

ETA: Why does every person wanting to disprove the brothel myth forget the exact wording

Last edited by knight_shadow; 04-16-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Ritual looker.

I also call shenanigans on this because the LoC catalog is RIGHT THERE ON THE INTERNET and doesn't list any GLO rituals as far as I can see.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

There definitely aren't any fraternity rituals in the Library of Congress. Not because some highly placed alum pulled it, but because they were never there to begin with. Here's a good explanation (.pdf document) courtesy of Sigma Chi.

A sufficiently motivated person could also search the Library of Congress' catalog, as Sen stated, right here.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I feel dumberer after reading that.