GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,315
0 members and 1,315 guests
No Members online

Old 05-03-2003, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Requirements for being an alumni initiate...

I know a lot of *ethnic* sororities have "Grad Chapters" for people who never pledged during college. I was just wondering if any other sororities have anything like this? I know tri-sigma has alumni stuff but I always thought you had to be a member in college first....I didn't think you could wait and pledge after school. Also...do you have to have a degree? Or can you just "decide" that you always wanted to be one and do it now? I am just curious....ANY GROUP CAN ANSWER.....I want to hear from ALL organization just out of curiousity.
-MLK
Old 05-04-2003, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

I think you should check previous threads on Alum.

There is a lot of great info about it!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-04-2003, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Tom and/or LXAAlum, I think it would help if CutiePie2000's "Advice to Alumnae Initiates" thread was made an "Important" thread - this question is answered extensively within that thread. You'll find it here: http://forums.greekchat.com/gcforums...threadid=20287

Not that I'm backseat moderating, you understand..
Old 05-04-2003, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Yo, SISMAD, your advise is always welcome in our House!

Now, if I knew how to do it!

S S how about you? If you got the power, go Bro!!!!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-04-2003, 02:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bsp-mich24
Thanks for supplying the info on grad/alum initiats . I'm looking into 3 NPC groups now.
Old 05-04-2003, 02:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Whee! Another soon-to-be alum initiation story! Best of luck to you, bsp-mich24!
Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks,

Please PM me with any advise (or cautions) you may have. So far I have 2 people from different GLO's that will make contacts on my behalf. Does is matter if rushing fall or spring (I do not want to go through a formal rush)?

Michelle
Old 05-04-2003, 08:34 PM

Re: Requirements for being an alumni initiate...

Quote:
Originally posted by KissASinfonian
I know a lot of *ethnic* sororities have "Grad Chapters" for people who never pledged during college. I was just wondering if any other sororities have anything like this?
If you are asking whether some NPC sororities will initiate women who did not initiate in college and are now in their post-college years, then yes!

I know tri-sigma has alumni stuff but I always thought you had to be a member in college first....I didn't think you could wait and pledge after school.
Yes, Tri Sigma does do alumnae initiation. TriSigmaTX used to be on this board but I have not seen her lately, but she was a big supporter of Sigma Sigma Sigma's alumnae initiates program.

I don't think anyone who is an alumna initiate ever intended to "wait until after college". Most of the women that I know who are alumnae initiates either went to a college where going Greek was not possible, or they had disastrous rushes, or they had to leave school for personal, family or financial reasons.

Also...do you have to have a degree?
It depends on the individual NPC group as to the extent of college education - some NPCs want their alumnae initiates to have 1 year of college, some want 2 years of college, some want a full 4 year completed degree, some say no college is a prerequisite, some want college but they will waive this requirement on a case by case basis. You should verify this with the specific sorority that you are interested in.

Or can you just "decide" that you always wanted to be one and do it now?
You may decide that you are interested in pursuing alumnae initiation, but do not think that it is an "easy" process. To be an alumna initiate, you don't just "sign up" on a form...you often must be introduced to the alumnae chapter by an alumna member in good standing. You would get to know your local alumnae chapter, and after this interaction, the chapter would ascertain whether they would like to sponsor you for membership and/or extend to you the invitation to membership. This goes in keeping with the Panhellenic principle of “mutual selection”. (Similarly, if this were in a collegiate situation, a Potential New Member (PNM) [i.e. “rushee”] may have a recommendation form from a Member [i.e. “sponsorship”] but the collegiate chapter would decide as a whole after meeting and getting to know that PNM, whether they will extend the invitation to membership. A recommendation, while favorable, is not a guarantee of an invitation to membership. It is a decision made by the alumnae chapter (and in certain cases, the Executive or Grand Council of the sorority will make the decision whether to extend the invitation to membership)

A lot of this advice is "recycled" from my thread:My Advice to Prospective Alumnae Initiates
---------------------
Quote:
Originally posted by bsp-mich24
Thanks,
Please PM me with any advise (or cautions) you may have. So far I have 2 people from different GLO's that will make contacts on my behalf. Does is matter if rushing fall or spring (I do not want to go through a formal rush)?
Michelle
The only cautions I would say are:
1) Be discreet. I use advise women not to publicly announce on the boards who they are interested in. You never know who is reading these boards and I just think it's best to not "show your slip", you know what I mean?

2) If you are interested, you might want to start the investigation now. It sounds like you are on the right track with "I have 2 people from different GLO's that will make contacts on my behalf", because these people can hopefully be your sponsors. It is always helpful to have a sponsor already secured than not.
I say to start the investigation process now, because some groups only initiate once a year, depending on how "full" the chapter is and if they do COB in the Spring (they might not do Spring COB, in which case, there's only one initiation per year) . If you get to know that ladies of the collegiate and/or alumnae chapter and they decide to extend to you an invitation to membership, then you could feasibly initiate in the fall (say.... October/November'ish)

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 05-04-2003 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Alot of the reason behind that question was because I was just very curious. In Arkansas we don't get a lot of talk about alumni initiates. I found it interesting. Thanks for all of the replies.....The information is very well written out and anyone considering this type of thing would have no problem understanding after reading this post.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:16 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by KissASinfonian
Alot of the reason behind that question was because I was just very curious. In Arkansas we don't get a lot of talk about alumni initiates. I found it interesting. Thanks for all of the replies.....The information is very well written out and anyone considering this type of thing would have no problem understanding after reading this post.
Thank you for your kind feedback!
Old 05-05-2003, 01:16 AM
cutiepatootie

where in arkansas

I attended univ of Arkansas at fayetteville. I am also an alum iniatateof Alpha Phi.

Laura
Old 05-08-2003, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

You ladies were correct about things taking awhile....I've been playing the phone tag game for two days now (not to mention the time difference) lol. I know it will be worth the wait.

Last edited by bsp-mich24; 05-09-2003 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:07 AM
GreekChat Member

what if they had pledged and were already a member of another one, would they still be able to join?
Old 05-12-2008, 02:12 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladmsy View Post
what if they had pledged and were already a member of another one, would they still be able to join?
Your question is vague, so don't be too surprised if you get a vague answer (if any).
Old 05-12-2008, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

if you are an initiated member of a npc sorority, you may not join another npc sorority-ever.