GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,637
1 members and 1,636 guests
No Members online

Old 07-24-2012, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
APhi[/B]4Ever;2137178]Personally, I could see and would like to see both Alpha Gamma Delta and Delta Zeta pursue Ole Miss. Delta Zeta would be a recolonization (present at Ole Miss from 1928-1953). Alpha Delta Pi is recolonizing at Mississippi State University in 2013 so I do not think they would pursue it. Also, they have only been off campus for 15 years at Ole Miss.
Good Luck to each presenting NPC Group!

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Help!!!

I have decided after much thought that I really want to rush this year, but I will be rushing as a junior because I am transferring to Ole Miss this fall. I need help no one in my family was ever in Greek life so I have no recommendation letters and I really don't know how or where to get them. So if someone could help me out with how to get them as well as any other advice you would like to give me I would be so grateful!
Old 08-07-2012, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish22 View Post
I have decided after much thought that I really want to rush this year, but I will be rushing as a junior because I am transferring to Ole Miss this fall. I need help no one in my family was ever in Greek life so I have no recommendation letters and I really don't know how or where to get them. So if someone could help me out with how to get them as well as any other advice you would like to give me I would be so grateful!
It was strongly recommended that recs be sent by August 1st. You just decided NOW that you wanted to rush?

You're a Junior, a transfer, with no recs. Best of luck to you. To say it'll be difficult is an understatement.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Do a search on this site for rec letters. You'll find explicit instructions for getting them. It matters not that no one in your family has been Greek.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Reading the very first post of the thread includes a direct link to solid information on obtaining recs.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Just had to share an experience I had this week and ask you for your input.

A local girl called to ask for a rec to Ole Miss (we are out of state). I said I would be glad to and expressed concern at the late date, encouraging her to be timely in getting the rest of her recs and to impress upon her rec writers to get them mailed in quickly. Her response was to explain to me (thank you, dear, bless your heart!) that rush was not until mid September. I tried to explain that the sorority girls will be arriving at school early for work week, learning the PNMs info, etc and that is why recs really need to be there sooner rather than later. We had a nice conversation. I tried not to be too pushy about it but still feel I am right.

Then I ran into her mother who told me they had called Greek Life regarding these recs and the Greek Life office told her she was fine, it was not too late, etc. (what?)

Question - Do the Ole Miss girls have a work week? I have always assumed so, but maybe I am wrong? And, despite what I have read, and feel I know, about Ole Miss rush, the response by the GL office kind of freaked me out and made me feel I had mislead and freaked out the PNM.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish22 View Post
I have decided after much thought that I really want to rush this year, but I will be rushing as a junior because I am transferring to Ole Miss this fall.
OK, Irish, let's approach this a little bit differently since I am among those who usually discourage women in your position.

What is going to entice a chapter to extend a bid to you instead of the 1200 (or whatever number) mostly freshman girls who have been preparing for recruitment for many, many months?

What kind of super shiny, glittery qualifications are going to make you stand head & shoulders above your younger competition that already have their references in place? References that have been studied for months by women already in the sororities at Ole Miss?

- Do you have a STELLAR (3.75+) GPA from a well respected university?

- Did you start some kind of charitable drive to feed kids in underprivileged countries or lead a rebuilding efforts in Haiti or collect donations for war veterans?

- Were you president of your former university's student association or service organization?

Tell us what makes you the super special snowflake junior that they will want to take a chance on?
Old 08-07-2012, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Tell us what makes you the super special snowflake junior that they will want to take a chance on?
I dont think she is acting like a special snowflake at all. She isn't acting entitled or spoiled. True, being a junior will be a very, very tough recruitment- especially for a transfer, and i think her chances are slim based on that. I just think Irish22 is just like the rest of the pnm pool - she wants to experience what we all know and love: membership in a NPC.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
I dont think she is acting like a special snowflake at all. She isn't acting entitled or spoiled. True, being a junior will be a very, very tough recruitment- especially for a transfer, and i think her chances are slim based on that. I just think Irish22 is just like the rest of the pnm pool - she wants to experience what we all know and love: membership in a NPC.
I am sorry if I implied that she was acting like a special snowflake HERE. I didn't mean to.

I was asking what qualifications she has that could help her overcome our usual cautions to

1. a junior transfer
2. coming to recruitment at one of the most competitive schools in the South,
3. with no recs,
4. EXTREMELY late in the process.

Not trying to imply that she was being spoiled at all...
Old 08-07-2012, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Then I ran into her mother who told me they had called Greek Life regarding these recs and the Greek Life office told her she was fine, it was not too late, etc. (what?)

Question - Do the Ole Miss girls have a work week? I have always assumed so, but maybe I am wrong? And, despite what I have read, and feel I know, about Ole Miss rush, the response by the GL office kind of freaked me out and made me feel I had mislead and freaked out the PNM.
No, she is not "too" late but she is "damned" late. They aren't going to discourage anyone from signing up but they did tell her the truth. And yes, some groups do work week before school starts.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
JQuestion - Do the Ole Miss girls have a work week? I have always assumed so, but maybe I am wrong? And, despite what I have read, and feel I know, about Ole Miss rush, the response by the GL office kind of freaked me out and made me feel I had mislead and freaked out the PNM.
Yes, chapters here have work weeks. And yes, it's late to be submitting recommendations/references. She needs to go in and treat the invitations she receives each day as if those were the only houses on campus.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
I am sorry if I implied that she was acting like a special snowflake HERE. I didn't mean to.

I was asking what qualifications she has that could help her overcome our usual cautions...
Hopefully she was competing at the Olympics, that's one reason which would definitely overcome her situation.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28StGreek View Post
Hopefully she was competing at the Olympics, that's one reason which would definitely overcome her situation.
[Quickly wiping ice water off my laptop screen and keyboard]
Old 08-07-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Nicely played.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
PERFECT and stellar excuse

Be sure to wear your medal during parties!

Well done, 28stGreek!