GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,150
0 members and 1,150 guests
No Members online

Old 05-15-2017, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGD-GRAD View Post
"Today Show" this morning had Tim Piazza's parents and his brother with their most in-depth interview yet--it was heart-wrenching; they said they had not watched the in-house video and could not. His father had nothing good to say about Penn State officials or any of the Beta brothers or pledges. They recounted their last minutes with Tim as he lay dying in the hospital.
They said that no brothers nor Penn State officials came to the wake or funeral. The interview was just damning and heart-breaking in EVERY sense.

We ALL (advisors of both men's and women's groups) should consider showing these films and interviews to our entire chapters next fall. I believe they hit EVERYBODY, regardless of age. I've already spoken to our new chapter officers about it being part of one of next-fall's early meetings.
My wife and saw the same segment on the Today show this morning. As a former FSL professional and my wife a current senior-level college administrator, we were shocked when the father stated that no one from Penn State attended the wake or the funeral. At least someone from the DOS office should have attended. The segment was heart-breaking to watch. To lose a child is devastating enough, but to lose a child when it could have been prevented by making a simple call to 911 when it first happened just makes it just so much worse. My heart goes out to the Piazza family.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

http://abcnews.go.com/US/penn-state-...ry?id=47413710

Quote:
When asked the best way to serve Piazza's memory, Evelyn Piazza replied, "To save other people's lives.

"That's all we have at this point," added her husband, Jim Piazza.

Jim Piazza said the family plans to be "the advocate" for other families with children preparing to enter college.

"Tim Piazza is not just our son anymore," he said. "He represents everyone’s son and daughter that is looking to go to college and potentially get involved in Greek life."

@~/~~~~
Old 05-15-2017, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Penn State ‘Deeply Regrets’ Not Sending Administrator To Piazza Funeral

http://onwardstate.com/2017/05/15/pe...iazza-funeral/

It amazes me that no one thought it would be a good idea to send an administrator, just like it amazes me that not one person saw Tim in the state he was in and decided to call for help.

@~/~~~~
Old 05-15-2017, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
"Today Show" this morning had Tim Piazza's parents and his brother with their most in-depth interview yet--it was heart-wrenching; they said they had not watched the in-house video and could not. His father had nothing good to say about Penn State officials or any of the Beta brothers or pledges. They recounted their last minutes with Tim as he lay dying in the hospital.
They said that no brothers nor Penn State officials came to the wake or funeral. The interview was just damning and heart-breaking in EVERY sense.
Sorry, the rank and file should have rebelled against any order to not attend. I cannot imagine such a callous response!

Quote:
We ALL (advisors of both men's and women's groups) should consider showing these films and interviews to our entire chapters next fall. I believe they hit EVERYBODY, regardless of age. I've already spoken to our new chapter officers about it being part of one of next-fall's early meetings.
Yes.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Sorry, the rank and file should have rebelled against any order to not attend. I cannot imagine such a callous response!

Yes.
To be fair, I'm sure their lawyers told them not to attend. And to be fair, many of them are facing criminal charges and the ones who aren't could be soon. In the same position, I'd probably give similar advice unless I could send a minder to make sure they say absolutely nothing to anyone, which in retrospect, is probably what should have been done.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-16-2017, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
To be fair, I'm sure their lawyers told them not to attend. And to be fair, many of them are facing criminal charges and the ones who aren't could be soon. In the same position, I'd probably give similar advice unless I could send a minder to make sure they say absolutely nothing to anyone, which in retrospect, is probably what should have been done.
I thought that, after posting, but it still seems so callous.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:43 PM

And if brothers WOULD have attended, there would have probably been everything from sneers of "hypocrites" under people's' breaths, to punches thrown. This is truly a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Unless there were brothers that were close enough to Mr Piazza that they'd gotten to know his family, I'd think those would be the last people his loved ones would want to see.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I w
Old 05-16-2017, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I am surprised none of his pledge brothers went though; they were blameless. But as was said, I'm sure Beta Hdqtrs. told them to stay away. 33girl is probably right--damned either way. But maybe flowers from the pledge class?
As for PSU not sending anybody--that is INEXCUSABLE.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I am surprised none of his pledge brothers went though; they were blameless. But as was said, I'm sure Beta Hdqtrs. told them to stay away. 33girl is probably right--damned either way. But maybe flowers from the pledge class?
As for PSU not sending anybody--that is INEXCUSABLE.
If beta headquarters wanted actives and pledges to stay away, I understand that but they should have sent a local adviser and/or a national officer. And the school should also have sent representation.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Another interesting aspect to this story...

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...y-hazing-party
Old 05-30-2017, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Old 05-30-2017, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekOne View Post
Another interesting aspect to this story...

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...y-hazing-party
I love it. This shows what happens when administrations overplay their hand. They are left with rogue underground groups which they cannot regulate at all. In this case, the sorority openly recruits, parties with fraternities and does all of the things which would have ended the existence of any NPC group.

This is what happens when schools start to eliminate the Greek system. It won't go away, it'll come back and it'll be much worse.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-30-2017, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I completely agree! As PSU continues down the path of restricting recognized organizations, I suspect we will see more groups like this one. It is very concerning!
Old 05-30-2017, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Epsilon Sigma Alpha, which was briefly mentioned in the article, is the same way. Nationally a co-ed service organization, in practice another social sorority that recruits the same way Trilogy does and is also not a recognized Greek organization.