GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Phi Epsilon
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,143
4 members and 2,139 guests
KSigkid, oncegreek, Xidelt, Zae_TheCreator

Old 12-25-2005, 12:01 PM
Banned

Traditional Chapters

is anyone here brothers of traditional chapters? this is my first post here and i have noticed an overwhelming amount of balanced man material.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-29-2005, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

right here.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I am traditional. The BMP is embarassing.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm traditional, reppin the SC-A
Old 06-01-2006, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Knight0843
Hey Men, I'm from a newly opened BMP Chapter. We are having trouble carrying on traditions, and making men appreciate tradition. Since there is no pledgeship, there is no way to weed these idoits out before they are signed. I need some info on traditions of other Chapters, and what you do to maintain traditions and obedience.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Knight0843
Hey Men, I'm from a newly opened BMP Chapter. We are having trouble carrying on traditions, and making men appreciate tradition. Since there is no pledgeship, there is no way to weed these idoits out before they are signed. I need some info on traditions of other Chapters, and what you do to maintain traditions and obedience.
can't you still haze them as "sigma brothers?" if not, there's not much you can do. try to abuse them for being bad brothers, i guess.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I went to Carlson's a few months ago. All of the BMP chapters were aweful. I could actually pick out which were BMP and which were traditional before finding out for certain. I thought I was in the twighlight zone.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I think traditional builds more pride in your local history as well as the national history of SigEp. As a BMP program, just make sure they're learning what it means to be an Ep and it's more than just signing a bid card.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi, i'm a new member to this board. But anyways our chapter is also BMP but we have no trouble keeping traditions. Theres many traditions that have been passed down from the brothers that've already graduated, and in honor of them to keep their legacy we still run the traditions. And as far as "building brotherly bonds through being a pledge"...u can still build those brotherly bonds w/out having to be a pledge. But yes i do agree that there needs to be tradition as well as bmp. Those two worked together i think makes a great chapter. Again... having a "balance" between the two.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigEpBMP1 View Post
Hi, i'm a new member to this board. But anyways our chapter is also BMP but we have no trouble keeping traditions. Theres many traditions that have been passed down from the brothers that've already graduated, and in honor of them to keep their legacy we still run the traditions. And as far as "building brotherly bonds through being a pledge"...u can still build those brotherly bonds w/out having to be a pledge. But yes i do agree that there needs to be tradition as well as bmp. Those two worked together i think makes a great chapter. Again... having a "balance" between the two.
The BMP is a perfect institution for nationals to install as an insurance policy, and each chapter pays a fee for their insurance. I would like to see a combination like you said of both, I have my bias coming from a traditional chapter, but I think the BMP has great potential.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Ole Miss traditional here
Old 06-08-2008, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter was founded as traditional and was forced to go BMP. The only advice I can give implement the best from the Traditional process into the BMP. There's lies the true balance....
Old 03-22-2009, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight0843 View Post
You have the entire Sigma Challenge, Sigma Rite of Passage and Phi Challenge to weed out non-SigEps before they really learn any of our secrets. This process will give you 2 semesters (at least) of grade checks, a feel for how involved they are and will be in the chapter and if they will be troublesome. And, sidenote, by weed out I mean discover who they are and revoke their membership, not haze them till they drop.
Also, if you are recently opened then your chapter doesn't really have any traditions yet anyway. The only thing than can establish a local tradition is time, not force. And as for national tradition from other chapters, that is our ritual, is it not? It is the only tradition that is nationally followed. That and excellence.
Obedience falls under the Chaplain and Standards Board. If you are concerned about it, I suggest you run for Chaplain or a Standards Board position so you can help if it is a problem.

In Brotherly Love,
Brother Janning
Old 03-23-2009, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's an easy and very simple way to keep idiots out of your chapter:

DON'T BID THEM.

Just because someone rushes doesn't mean they deserve a bid. I'm in a BM chapter and we're doing perfectly fine.

And of course you're going to see a lot of stuff about BM chapters because the majority of SigEp chapters use the BMP. Logic, much? Yes.

Also, our traditions are holding up strong. But then again, my chapter is in the Michigan/Ohio area and the BM chapters here are all powerhouses.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

My boyfriend is a traditional SigEp @ UTK. He always talks about how the BM chapters don't understand any of the traditions, significance, brotherhood, or respect for the brotherhood like Traditionals to. He's got friends from a BM chapter, and they are half as committed to their brothers/chapter/fraternity as the traditional guys I know.