GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Social
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,955
1 members and 1,954 guests
Titchou

Old 03-03-2008, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Earth Day Activities.

My sisters and I were planning on having a social event on April 22nd. We just realized that April 22nd just so happens to be Earth Day. We thought it might be fun to do something geared towards Earth Day. We also wanted to do something that was good for the community also. We thought about planting flowers in the shape of SAI in front of our new music builidng. Does anyone else have any other activities we could do?
Old 03-04-2008, 01:50 AM
GreekChat Member

You might want to check to see if your school has an environmental group that is doing a project or what is going on in your community. I know here in washington and in oregon there are lots of groups that do things for eath day, like tree planting, for example. I know of many groups that do things. I would like a few calls to environmental groups on your campus would give you tons of places to look. Also every state has a land grant school that has a county extensions that is usually involved in environmental causes. Not knowing your state I can not tell you who it is but if you look in your local phone book in the county section you will most likely find the info about it, usually assocaited with 4H. In washington, it is Washington State University County extensions. I would look in the phone book and find the number for WSU county extensions and they might know of stuff too. Depending on the size of your city they may do a lot or a little. I know in Seattle or King county it is hugh and they do a lot, but were I live they don't do too much.

Good luck pursuing such a worthy cause.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Looking to see if your campus has an environmental group is a great first step. Many campuses have environmental clubs, but these clubs get little to no publicity. One thing you might want to try is a competition called RecycleMania. I don't have the link to it on this computer, but if you pm me, i'm sure i can find it for you. It may be too late to join the actual competition nationally, but you can always have a small week long competition on your campus. Pretty much you just decide what you want to recycle. It can be just paper, or plastic or glass, or any combination of recyclable materials. Then you set up recycle centers around the campus, collect the recyclables at the end of every day, and measure how much you've collected. You can have a goal in mind, or just do it to see how much you can do. You can even make it a competition between different groups, years, majors, buildings, etc. on the campus to make it more interesting. If this is an idea that seems appealing to you, just let me know, I'd be glad to help.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello to All. I am with the Washington State Department of Ecology. I am working up a list of 2008 Earth Day/Week/Month events in Washington. If your fraternity/sorority or your school is sponsoring an ED event this year, please either send me the name of it or, better yet, a web link for it. We will post all events on the Department of Ecology's website.

Thanks for your help.

Michael Bergman