GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,300
5 members and 2,295 guests
Cookiez17, flirt5721, FSUZeta, PKT4LIFE

Old 11-11-1999, 01:10 AM
Marian

Question Legac?y

I am wondering about a subject that is way to touchy to ask a memeber of the sorority I am interested in. Legacy.I am a daughter,granddaughter, and niece of active memebers of AKA, I am wondering is this legacy issue something I should bring up to the ladies of AKA on campus. I have heard that legacy when it is all said and done with is an automatic membership.However I also heard that it is frowned upon! These seems unfair! Help!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-11-1999, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
I have a friend who is an AKA, and there are several women who are 'legacies' in her chapter, and nationally. However, they didn't get in just because they were legacies... they wanted to join and went through the same processes that everyone else did. From what friends have told me, it's a matter of pride to have a series of family members in the same GLO. (Not some kind of 'right').

Don't expect special treatment of any kind. Make it clear why you want to be an AKA and work just as hard as the others. Best of luck!!
Old 01-04-2000, 03:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Well, this whole legacy issue is somewhat crazy, but if you don't make a big deal out of it, then you will reap the rewards of being apart of AKA. I know one girl who graduated from my university who made it known that she was AKA legacy, and went to the particular chapter with this holier than thou attitude to being a legacy and she was definitely rejected. You must in the mindset that AKA is what YOU want, and not something you are doing because the majority of women in your immediate family are active members. This, in itself is where alot of people who are members of Black Greek organizations fall short of reaping the many and continuous rewards of being the chosen few to represent the black community in such a manner. If you want AKA, then your steps in obtaining membership will be all on your own merit and not bent on using the term "Legacy" as a cushion to become a member.

------------------
Old 01-04-2000, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Chances are, the members of AKA at your school already know you are a legacy. Sometimes the legacy's family members will write a letter to the national chapter or school chapter letting them know you are enrolled in school there and are thinking about rush. As a former rush chair, I would recommend you do mention (very casually) that your mom, sister, etc. are all AKA's and that is why you are so interested in rushing that particular sorority.That way, in case the sorority does not know you were a legacy, you will have alerted them just in case they need to do any kind of paperwork if they give you a bid or if they reject you. Yes, there is paperwork! Good Luck.
Old 01-04-2000, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Being a legacy does not give you automatic membership. You go through the same process as any other candidate based on the same criteria. Good luck.