GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,059
2 members and 1,057 guests
chi-o_cat, indygphib

Old 02-04-2004, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by madmax
Sell it on ebay.
No way. Not going to happen!
Old 02-04-2004, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

TSteven I agree whole heartedly on the No Way In Hell rebutal.

Tri Sigma at my Campus has been there for many Years, and Many Of the Brothers of LXA have Married them and have Daughters who have gone on to be Tri Sigmas.

I am glad that you put this on as Tri Sigma while never dated any, were very near and dear ro me, even to this day!

Our first Sweetheart and Homecoming Nominee is a Tri Sigma who married a Brother!

I admire you for fortitude and caring with These items!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-04-2004, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

dear t stevens

thank you for a post that all greeks need to read and consider. if your niece now in h.s does not join your late mothers sorority please urge your family members to send the badge back to the sorority's national office. too many badges end up on ebay or similar sites , because unknowing family innocently put them in a box with all the other costume jewelry in estate sales and collectors or dealers in the know buy them to re-sell .being a member of a glo yourself, you can identify with the feelings you mother surely had for her own glo and her pin, and would know how she would feel about her pin being sold to a non-member.

it sounds like you come from a very loving and thoughtful family who want to do the right thing. what a great testimony to your mother!

as for the papers, the college archives sound like a lovely way to preserve a part of your mother's history.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
Quote:
Originally posted by TSteven

My Mother and sister are members of Sigma Sigma Sigma.

Actually this may make a difference. My former roommate is a Tri Sigma, and she spoke of visiting Alpha Chapter at Longwood.

She said the sisters there have a number of things that pertain to both Tri Sigma's national history AND their chapter history (being alpha chapter and all) but that the chapter had elected to keep some of the things instead of passing them on to nationals.

From what the exroommate has said, I gathered that chapter history is very important in Tri Sigma.

.... for whatever it's worth.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks again for all the kind replies. I will be sure to pass all of these fine suggestions and comments on to my sister.

As HotDamnImAPhiMu pointed out, there is a special bond between my Mother's personal history and with her chapter of Tri Sigma. Which is why I feel this is hard for my sister.

Not only are we talking about my sister's chapter of Tri Sigma, but about the items my sister inherited from our Mother. Which now that I think about it, kind of makes her the keeper of our Mother's history. And while my sister has the up-most respect and devotion for their sorority, the possessions she has of our Mother she holds dear to her heart. Especially those that bind them together. And the strongest bond may very well be that of being sorority sisters.

The good thing is that my sister is weighing all her options and will do what she feels will be best to honor our Mother, the university and her chapter. And frankly, it is quite possible that these three things are not exclusive of each other. With all the suggestions tender here, she has quite a few options and suggestions to help guide her.

Again thank you all so much.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I would second having something in your sister's will stating exactly what is supposed to happen with the badge upon her death.

And I would agree, the biggest problem is family members who think the badge is "just another piece of jewelry" and they just sell it with everything else at an estate sale.

I don't know Tri-Sigma's policies but Gamma Phi's states that it should be returned to IH UNLESS there is a legacy, they may do something similar.

If I was in your sister's shoes, I be hesitant to "loan" it or whatever to the collegiate chapter. My badge is VERY important to me and I don't trust the collegians at my alma mater enough. There are too many opportunities for it to be stolen, lost or broken.

As the chair of Gamma Phi Beta's Badge Task Force, who dealt with the very issues underlying your problem, I applaud you for your dedication. And I'm pretty sure Tri-Sigma would agree. Better to have a badge in the hands of someone who cares about it, than in ones that don't.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

get some plastic pvc type stuff for the paper stuff
Old 02-04-2004, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

wait to see about the other granddaughter/neice
Old 02-04-2004, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SmartBlondeGPhB
And I would agree, the biggest problem is family members who think the badge is "just another piece of jewelry" and they just sell it with everything else at an estate sale.
That will simply not happen. Our family knows that our badges are not another piece of jewelry but something special.

Besides, I am the executor of my sister's estate. No way in heck our Mother's badge is going outside of either the family or Tri Sigma.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I say, leave your sister and things alone for now.

As a woman who will never have a daughter to pass my own things to, I know how disappointing that can be. But that doesn't mean I'm going to get rid of them or dispose of them becuase of that I am hopeful that there will be other legacies in my family that may eventually be proud to wear my badge.

In my opinion, when she decides to do something, I think the historical data of the chapter should go to the active chapter or the natioal headquarter's archies. She will have to decide what to do not only with your mother's badge but her own as well. It sounds to me that you're concerned about whether your friend can get her hands on everything for the uniersity.

Your sister does need to have a plan and make a will to reflect her wishes. Until then,she should treasure each and every piece.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Phi Mu has been developing an extensive museum of items. A climate controlled exhibit hall in incorporated into the new EO plans!

Isn't that the one in Peachtree City, GA??? That's next to hubby's work! I'm soooo jealous
Old 02-04-2004, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
Quote:
Originally posted by AGDLynn
Phi Mu has been developing an extensive museum of items. A climate controlled exhibit hall in incorporated into the new EO plans!

Isn't that the one in Peachtree City, GA??? That's next to hubby's work! I'm soooo jealous
yes it is in Peachtree City...and the building is so beautiful. Our building committee really did a marvelous job!

http://www.phimu.org/foundation/newhq.asp
Old 02-04-2004, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
as an aside.... Tri Sigma really has a beautiful badge.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

T. Steven and all,

A dear P.E.O. sister is the archivist for her GLO (which is not mine). She is also a historian with a scholarly interest in NPC. I e-mailed her to ask her opinion. She replied:

I have to say that in my opinion the GLO's HQ should be the recipient of these items, or at least the correspondence regarding the chapter's founding. I would also suggest that the family copies the documents that can be copied and keep one copy for themselves and give one to the university and the chapter. If
nothing else, I'm sure the HQ would love to have at least copies of the correspondence as it it is highly likely that they have very little correspondence about the founding of the chapter. Songbooks, pledgebooks, are likely not needed by the HQ, but I would check with them first in case it's a unique item.

I hope this helps!