GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 978
0 members and 978 guests
No Members online

Old 08-22-2011, 02:27 AM
23girl

Rushing as a 2nd year

I rushed last year but due to family problems that occurred at the time, I had to drop. I'm reconsidering going back into recruitment again. Will sororities look down upon me given my situation and re-rushing for the 2nd time?

At the same time, do sororities offer payment plans? I know I should be asking them as well. But just as a heads up, what's the estimate of costs for the first year?

I do live at home and not on campus, transportation is a bit lagging because my car tends to have problems. So, how necessary is it to go to the events? Do I need to attend every single one? What if I'm not into the partying as much as the next girl, yet I'm more willing for the things in the day?
Old 08-22-2011, 02:30 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm smelling a troll.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:31 AM
23girl

what do you mean a troll?
Old 08-22-2011, 02:39 AM

We don't know if you'll get a bid or not. It is worth a try. The chances a soph has depends on the competitiveness of your school.

Costs vary GREATLY by school and chapters. We can't give specifics because we really know cost info for our respective chapters/schools. So whether there are payment plans depends on your school and the chapter. Some do, some don't.

Attendance at events as a new member is expected and important. Socials may be optional, but you'll be expected to attend weekly chapter meeting, new member meetings, as well as other required events.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23girl View Post
I do live at home and not on campus, transportation is a bit lagging because my car tends to have problems. So, how necessary is it to go to the events? Do I need to attend every single one? What if I'm not into the partying as much as the next girl, yet I'm more willing for the things in the day?
If you don't have a RELIABLE mode of transportation to make it to the majority of sorority events, don't rush. No one likes putting up with a member who is always begging for rides or using her car problems as an excuse to blow things off.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

"Back in the day," you didn't miss meetings or mandatory unless there was a dang good reason. We didn't need incentives; for the most part, we wanted to do these things. As a new member class, being together as much as possible it important to the health of the organization, and allows for maximum bonding opportunities and hopefully, satisfaction with your organization.

If you aren't 100% into it, and don't feel that you can commit in the way that needs/deserves to be, please don't take the place of someone who really wants to be there.

I'm not saying that commuters can't be a great part of a sorority, or that you need to be "rich", but there is a level of expectations that needs to met - and I can speak as a member of both an NPC and a National service sorority - in order to be a member. If you really want it, I would guess that you'd do whatever you had to do. I know girls who worked a bunch of jobs, had lots of additional commitments, or who commuted, and you couldn't tell a difference between that person and the on-campus people, and then there were the few girls that tried every excuse in the books.

Not saying that you will be that way, but if you can't meet that demand - and this is not a judgement, but a suggestion based on years of experience - join a club that doesn't have as many commitments. Then again, anything you join will have some expectations. Just don't promise what you're not sure you can deliver.

Good luck in whatever you do.