GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,523
2 members and 2,521 guests
navane, PGD-GRAD

Old 02-19-2016, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
You have no idea.

There's a family wedding that has featured the following:
  1. Save the Date TEXTS. Not even a postcard, regular e-mail, or Paperless Post.
  2. When they decided to change the date, there was no official announcement.
  3. Kids who were originally asked to be in the wedding party were removed when they realized they couldn't afford the extra plates.
  4. Invitees received a text (in Prince speak) asking if they were going to come because otherwise they wouldn't send an invite.
  5. A decision was made that there would be no children at the wedding, which is more than fine. They asked a teenager to babysit...for free, which is NOT fine.

It's just clear that they cannot afford the wedding to which they feel entitled. What's wrong with eloping?
Now that we're pretty deep in wedding planning, I thought about this as a great reminder not to be tacky. It's been a few years, but I'm pretty sure this wedding had a cash bar.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-07-2016, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I am just blown away by the number of people who feel it's totally appropriate to ask what our wedding budget is and who's paying for the wedding.

Any recommendations for snarky comebacks? I just say it's none of their business.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:56 AM
GreekChat Member

"My wedding budget is 9 million dollars. Oh, and who's paying? Jesus and Donald Trump."
Old 04-08-2016, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I am just blown away by the number of people who feel it's totally appropriate to ask what our wedding budget is and who's paying for the wedding.

Any recommendations for snarky comebacks? I just say it's none of their business.
"My parents give me an allowance for mowing their lawn and cleaning the kitchen, so that helps. And with fiancé's paper route, we almost have enough for our dream wedding!"

@~/~~~~
Old 04-09-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
"My parents give me an allowance for mowing their lawn and cleaning the kitchen, so that helps. And with fiancé's paper route, we almost have enough for our dream wedding!"
This! Or go with the trusty, "Why? Are you offering to pay for it for us?"
Old 04-09-2016, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
"My wedding budget is 9 million dollars. Oh, and who's paying? Jesus and Donald Trump."
Made my day!
Old 04-17-2016, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Talk about some wedding disasters...

http://www.someecards.com/love/weddi...weddings-ever/

ETA: oh my goodness.. I just read the last story, and.. ew, ew ew! There just are no words for how terrible an experience that must have been.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 04-17-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Talk about some wedding disasters...

http://www.someecards.com/love/weddi...weddings-ever/

ETA: oh my goodness.. I just read the last story, and.. ew, ew ew! There just are no words for how terrible an experience that must have been.
O.Mi.Gosh. Why oh why did I read that?!
Old 04-18-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:

A million because I'm a rich bitch.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Our invitations went out last week. It's exactly 10 weeks out, because about 65% of our invite list would have to fly, and there's a good number who have to arrange childcare as our wedding is no kids. 6-8 weeks is fine when no one has to travel.

Future sister-in-law felt the obligation to tell us that we sent them out too early.

Does she know? Does she know that she's dealing with a sorority girl from the South? Does she know that we had Emily Post AND Amy Vanderbilt's books at our house? Right next to the Bible.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

I have to laugh at your comment about the etiquette books. My parents had friends who were so by the book for their daughter's wedding, that when the pastor who gave the bride in marriage, her father responded, "Amy, Emily, and I."
Old 08-02-2016, 11:05 PM

^ Can I just say how glad I am that there is no "who gives this bride" thing in Judaism?

My father was opposed to my marriage to a "heathen" (read: non-Catholic). Not only that, but I'd converted to this "heathen" religion (Judaism) through my own choice. (Never mind that Jesus was Jewish...) He wasn't going to attend the wedding at all, but my mother was a stubborn woman, so he attended, but didn't do any of the father-of-the-bride things.

In any case, if I'd married a Catholic like I was supposed to and the "who gives this bride" question had come up, I'd have answered with, "Nobody. Nobody GIVES me away. I'm my own woman. Now, who gives this groom in marriage??!"

I inherited my mother's stubborn streak
Old 08-03-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Our invitations went out last week. It's exactly 10 weeks out, because about 65% of our invite list would have to fly, and there's a good number who have to arrange childcare as our wedding is no kids. 6-8 weeks is fine when no one has to travel.

Future sister-in-law felt the obligation to tell us that we sent them out too early.

Does she know? Does she know that she's dealing with a sorority girl from the South? Does she know that we had Emily Post AND Amy Vanderbilt's books at our house? Right next to the Bible.

Six weeks is not enough time for out of town guests.

SIL must not be in a social circle in which people have guests flying in.

There are a lot of weddings where I live where literally everyone is coming from the same 20 mile radius. Maybe where she's from, it's the same?

I got an invite 12 weeks out for a NYE wedding last year. Most guests were local but people need notice when dealing with a holiday. (Ex: You can't get a sitter 4 weeks out from NYE.)

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

There are a lot of weddings where I live where literally everyone is coming from the same 20 mile radius. Maybe where she's from, it's the same?

I got an invite 12 weeks out for a NYE wedding last year. Most guests were local but people need notice when dealing with a holiday. (Ex: You can't get a sitter 4 weeks out from NYE.)
Typically, I get invites about 10 weeks out, and longer if it's a legitimate destination wedding (and not just a wedding that requires travel).

I just thought it was messy to call someone out on an etiquette breach that wasn't. There's a little wedding planning competition with that one...
Old 08-03-2016, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06

Typically, I get invites about 10 weeks out, and longer if it's a legitimate destination wedding (and not just a wedding that requires travel).

I just thought it was messy to call someone out on an etiquette breach that wasn't. There's a little wedding planning competition with that one...
A family member scheduled a wedding for Thanksgiving weekend, an "auspicious" day in Chinese culture that year. Basically, it was a lucky day to get married. The happy couple were considering the day after Christmas as well. There as nothing "auspicious" nor even remotely lucky about me getting a reasonable priced flight in and out of a large metro area.

Despite the notice, I was not impressed. For out of town guests, it was nightmare trying to attend. I did not. I wasn't about to use my frequent flier miles either. Then there was expense of rental car and hotel. I don't care how lucky the day is, a wedding on the busiest travel day of the year is just plain obscene.