GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,233
0 members and 1,233 guests
No Members online

Old 06-24-2005, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Unique_Design
I am new to this site, as I am on the quest to sisterhood. All of the posts so far have been inspiring...
i agree!
I have done so much research in the past year and coming to GC has opened my eyes to the love that NPHC shares no matter the GLO. I will continue my quest and one day I hope to attain my goal and be in this thread posting about being initiated with my letters proudly in my sig
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-03-2005, 04:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Awwwwww!!!
Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. I had a question for the individuals that pledged their respective organization after undergrad. How many of you were discouraged? And how much longer did the process take? I am just curious.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cinammonkisses
Cool

Like a few other interestees, posting on GC is a very rare thing for me to do. A few times per month, I will read GC and just laugh and laugh, sometimes even tear up.

I don't know..for me, I love coming here. I have been an interestee since 1999. Geez, and dont even ask me when I became a member on here lol. Coming here sometimes is a reminder to me that I am still just, an interestee. But it does also give me hope, that with courage and more prayer, my time will soon arise. I will continue to move forward
Old 07-25-2005, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cinammonkisses
Geez, and dont even ask me when I became a member on here lol.
May 2003
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 07-25-2005, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 2DISCRETE4U
Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4
To the Sisterfriends:

Let me elaborate on this "help and support". . .

I have been fortunate to have been a member of GC for 5 years and a Delta for 8 years. I have come across many interests on GC who have become very special to me so it warms my heart when I see them become my Soror. There are quite a few on here who we connected on GC by nature of the various conversations we have had. To use my Soror MeezDiscreet as an example. While she was an interest, she was on GC talking to us and not just about Delta. WE talked about music, school, etc. To use Soror Gina as another example, she and I talked about breakups and America's Next Top Model. They posted on GC. I got to know them and see them beyond their interests. To use a non Delta example, soulfulremix posted on this side of GC and I liked what she said. Not knowing where her interest lied, I was totally shocked to see her become an AKA because she never was on here fawning over the AKAs. She came, she posted, she observed. However when she crossed, I was hella amped for her. Because I felt I knew her somewhat.

I said all of that to say, don't USE us on GC just to get to Delta. There are waaaaay more Deltas in real life than there are on GC. For your Delta questions, if you cannot ask the Deltas you know, please don't come on GC and bombard us with PMs. Please. YOU have to do your part. I cannot hand Delta to you. I will NOT hand Delta to you. You have to WORK and PRAY and have the GPA as well as the community service to achieve Delta.

Advice I give you is to stand out POSITIVELY to the Deltas in your area.

Now to the Sorors and other Greeks who used to be an interest or a sisterfriend on GC (since we all at one time or another have been an interest), but have now achieved membership, please share, if you feel so lead.
WELL STATED CT4!!

Well I'm another one who was a GC sisterfriend who became a member. I registered on here in Jan. 2002. I never really posted much but I did read and observe a lot. I appreciated GC for not being a 'Greek topic only' site but opening up discussion for a various number of other topics....on ALL organizations boards. I was fortunate enough to connect with another GCer who became (and still is) a great friend. Although we had different interests, we both were determined in our pursuit. I was so proud and happy for her when she obtained her dream in 2003 and I know she was just as ecstatic when I achieved my goal this year.
As many have stated, don't give up hope, be persistent and be HUMBLE in your pursuit. But also, please don't use GC as your ONLY avenue of speaking with members of your org of choice. Good Luck!
Old 07-29-2005, 06:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cinammonkisses
Quote:
Originally posted by ladygreek
May 2003
Hahahah thank you Ladygreek After I originally posted, I looked over at the date and just shook my head.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Diovanka8
Awwwwww!!!
Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. I had a question for the individuals that pledged their respective organization after undergrad. How many of you were discouraged?
I became a member through a graduate chapter. I was never discouraged. I knew that Alpha Kappa Alpha had been around for decades and that the organization was not going anywhere. It had been my goal to become a member for sometime and I kept that goal in front of me as I did my other goals. Determination squashes discouragement.

Quote:

And how much longer did the process take? I am just curious.
I am going to assume that you meant to ask how much longer after graduation it took for me to be invited to membership through a graduate chapter (any other interpretation of your question would be inappropriate). Well, I became a member through Gamma Theta Omega Chapter a little less than 2 years after I graduated from undergrad.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow I have a lot of Sands

Spring 2005 is holding it down on GC!!!

I I was a GC Sisterfriend for almost 2 years before I crossed. I mostly posted on topics that didn't concern AKA just so I wouldn't have to get checked. Now I get it that sorors can handle their own business, we're just serious like that

Besides the fact that my sister is a soror most of my advice came from reading old threads and reading in between the lines. My sis didn't do any more for me than any other interest. I learned a lot from GC sorors that I would not have learned elsewhere- A LOT!!!

Shout out to all #5s holding it down
Gina I see you
Old 07-29-2005, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Gina1201
Quote:
Originally posted by nachural
Shout out to all #5s holding it down
Gina I see you
HOLLA! Fives are runnin' Spring '05!!

Cause even when I'm a mess
I still put on a vest
With an 'S' on my chest
Oh yes, I'm a SUPERWOMAN
Old 09-16-2006, 04:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm new to the site, but just want to say that I am very inspired by this thread. These are amazing stories. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

-Poetik1
Old 09-16-2006, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not an interest and I rarely post that much on GC anymore but this thread made me want to cry at the stories of women who joined GC then had their dreams realized.

I nominate this as one of the best GC threads ever.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

My journey to enter the land of Delta started in 1994. We had a local greek event at my university and I was very impressed with the ladies I saw. I knew that discretion was the key. I have to admit that when my roommate pledged her sorority in spring 1995 and I attended a Delta rush in fall 1995, I had Deltas that I had befriended say to me that they assumed I wanted to be in her sorority. They knew I attended Delta events but my friend and I were always together and because she was a neo, she always had on her letters. Her sorority began to ask about me.
My "plan" was to submit an application in the fall of 1996. Needless to say, life circumstances forced me to return home and attend a local university. So, I figured it was a dream deferred for now. I did continue to do my research on Delta. One morning in spring 1997, I was getting a soda before my class (healthy I know) and I saw that beautiful crimson flyer. I managed to contain my excitement until I got home to tell my now husband. He told me to go for it. I was nervous because I didn't know the Deltas there very well. I was like well if I am not chosen this time, I WILL be back. By the grace of God, I was chosen. Out of about 100 ladies there, they picked 10 and I was one of them!!!! My how time flies. Next year it will 10 years that I have been a Soror of Delta Sigma Theta, Incorporated.
I know that this is pretty long but, I wanted to share my story with all sisterfriends, whether or not you are pursuing Delta, don't give up on your dream!!!
Old 09-16-2006, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

My journey to Deltaland...

All these stories are so touching and heartfelt....(they had me all teary) that I decided that maybe the story of my journey would inspire a sisterfriend who is on her own quest!!!

I've wanted to be a Delta since my 6th grade teacher (a FIERCE wonderful soror) inspired me...but of course life happens so I started undergrad as a 25 year old single mother of a 1 year old....but I refused to let that discourage me though....I researched, kept my grades tight, programmed (attended chapter events), and I was discreet..I was cordial to other interests at programs but I kept it moving and never fell into that "we can help each other" trap (other greeks may disagree but how can someone who is also on the outside looking in help you)....anyway I met a wonderful woman in a class during my freshman second semester..she was working towards her masters and we begin studying together....one day while we were in the library and low and behold about 4 chapter members came to the table to greet her.....I had no idea she was a Delta...I can laugh about it now but talk about "bubble gut"...I think I was almost too shook to really speak to them(she must have kicked me under the table because I managed a weak hello), but after they left...she looked at me, and I swear she must have just saw the longing in me or something because she was like "are you ready, do you have yourself together" I tried to play dumb and skirt around the question because I had heard that you should always be discreet but finally I confided my desires to her..sisterfriends she helped me so much through my process..from how to prepare to sometimes telling me to just relax....family and friends outside of school told me I was way to old to go undergrad, I couldn't pledge while going to school full time, being a single mom, and a member of the National Guard....I really had very little support outside of her....but guess what, I said BUMP ALL THAT and I did it!!!...I prayed about it, often cried about it, but I made it..was it easy? H@ll no, but Delta or any org should not come easy..one of the reasons I LOVE Delta so much is because of what it took to obtain her, and thats real ladies...I played a groove into my Donnie McClurkin "Live in London "cd while online(lol) but I made it to the other side at 26 (almost 27) years old...and my "study buddy" now soror pinned me!! I know this was a long post but I could cry right now because I know what you ladies are feeling...that longing..(wow, the memories)...anyway I hope my story helps someone...good luck...and STAY on point!!

When you drop the baggage, your hands will then be free to embrace the blessings...
Old 09-16-2006, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I forgot to mention that I did frequent cyberspace, one site in particular that was helpful to me back then. I must say that now there is so much to help people in their quest, especially GC. If GC existed back then, I wish I knew about it. Once I crossed, I posted wherever I could 'Hello Sorors'. Hey, I was neo
Old 09-16-2006, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I joined greekchat waaaay back in the day as Nikki19 and as IvyLeagueGrad2K1(paying respect to Columbia University!!!). Anyway, I used an extremely discreet approach and enjoyed reading and learning from the posts. I liked chillin in the cut when it came to inquiring about Delta information. I learned early on, not to put myself on front street with commonly asked questions that can be answered upon doing the research. Anyway on 04/22/06 at 1:40pm I was born into thee best sorority: DELTA SIGMA THETA SORORITY, Inc.
and it has been remarkable ever since. Thanks for the internet where things like greekchat are possible for sister friends to grow, learn and hopefully evolve into Divine Greek women.

Its a beautiful thing....aint it my sorors? ;-D