GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,495
0 members and 2,495 guests
No Members online

Old 11-15-2002, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

UC Berekely IS one of the top public universities in the nation. I guess it's a matter of opinion whether it is number one but it's definately in the top ten. Check the rankings.........
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-15-2002, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Studio 33 (aka The Bob Barker Studio), CBS Television City
Angry I can stay silent no longer

My post somehow got erased, so I'll get to the point.

To Theta Pharoah, congrats on you and your bruhs starting a new org, best luck in all your endeavors, great points on your posts, and most importantly, don't EVER feel that you have to justify your org to anyone. It's your org, do as you wish with it.

To Reiki, great points made also. I agree 1973%

To the NPHC naysayers, you ought to be ashamed of yourselves. Who are you (or anyone, for that matter) to feel that it is your place to validate any org? Furthermore, who asked you to do so in the first place?

The following items were brought up, to which I say, "SO WHAT??!!"

- Founded at Denny's. Jesus Christ was born in a stable and his humble beginning reaped much fruit in his 33-year life. I don't recall any NPHC org being founded at the Waldorf-Astoria or some such glamourous surroundings. Pick a more mature argument than that to laugh about. That's trivial.

- Website. They are undergraduate students, yall. Give them room to breathe and grow. I trust indeed they will change and modify their site as the need presents itself. Let them portray themselves as they see fit. Darn!!

Overall, I think this whole issued was handled poorly and immaturely. For orgs that boast 80-90 year histories, I would anticipate better from this. They are less than a year old. Make allowances for that. I know other folks made allowances for you. Or did you forget that because you were founded so long ago? I know, selective amnesia. It's all good.

Again I ask, how can the NIC have 65 orgs and the NPC 26 orgs and none of them get bent out of shape when a new GLO arises? Oh, maybe because they started in the 1800s and know which battles to fight and which battles to let go.

My 1973 cents.
Old 11-15-2002, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

In response to Rain Man.....

I am one of the "nay sayers" that you spoke of and I STILL stand behind my comments about "Theta" 1913%!!!!! If Theta Pharoah and the other members of his organization wanted to be taken seriously then they would have presented themselves in a serious manner....being an undergraduate is not a reason or acceptable excuse to be immature or to do things in bad taste. I am an undergrad.....My organization's 22 ILLUSTRIOUS founders were also undergrads, they introduced themselves to the world when they participated in the women's suffrage march as their first act of community service. This is because they were about business and about standing for something positive.......PLEASE don't make excuses for the "Thetas"......If you present yourself like mess or junk, then don't be offended when thats how you are received......Theta Pharoah had alot to say about what was wrong with the existing BGLOs but he has yet to say how they are going to make positive changes in the greek community.....he has classified anyone who doesn't agree with him as a "hater"......he believes he needs to pray for everyone else when he should be praying for guidance and wisdom for himself so that maybe one day after some hardwork and dedication his organization CAN stand proud amongst the Divine 9.

When you drop the baggage, your hands will then be free to embrace the blessings...
Old 11-16-2002, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: I can stay silent no longer (dramatic, aren't we)

Quote:
Originally posted by Rain Man
To the NPHC naysayers, you ought to be ashamed of yourselves. Who are you (or anyone, for that matter) to feel that it is your place to validate any org? Furthermore, who asked you to do so in the first place?
All the ranting & raving you've done, and do, about NPHC members having condescending attitudes toward non-NPHC members and here you come with one. I swear, it never ceases to amaze me how many people condemn members of the NPHC organizations for having dismissive, sanctimonious attitudes, yet those SAME critics have the same attitudes about us.

We need to be "ashamed" for expressing an opinion about a website that's public information? "We" need to be AKSED for an OPINION about a website that's out in PUBLIC DOMAIN?? Man, please. You have GOT to be kidding. Using your same logic, who asked YOU to give your opinion

About the Theta Phi Psi website, I'm about to get strictly academic. I'm going back to Intro to Business. That website is a marketing tool. It's my opinion that they are marketing themselves very poorly. It appears that others feel that way as well. Their student status DOES NOT excuse poor design. Honestly, I know 13 year olds who've designed sites better than that, but I digress. Even if you put the site design aside, the spelling and grammar errors are inexcusable. Those types of errors diminish the credibility of the organization, much the same way that those same types of errors would lessen a reporter's or a newspaper's credibility. As you so cleverly pointed out, they are college undergraduates. As such, their writing, spelling and proofreading abilities should be MUCH better than what's presented on the website. Someone on another message board mentioned an analogy dealing with serving a steak on a garbage can lid. For all we know, Theta Phi Psi could be doing big things, but you can't tell by looking at their site.

If you'll take the time to read and consider the comments made, the issue expressed in most of the replies is not that the organization exists. The issue is the presentation. It's crappy. Plain & simple.

It's AMAZING to me how quick we are to make excuses for something just because it's new and because someone put forth "an" effort. I was always taught to put forth my best effort. Lord help them if this website reflects their best effort.

As for this being handled "poorly and immaturely," well, let me ask you something. Is it immature because most of the replies are criticism, constructive & otherwise? Or is it because most of that criticism comes from members of NPHC organizations? Would the commentary be less immature if these same comments came from people who are not members of any GLO at all?

Last edited by 12dn94dst; 11-16-2002 at 12:06 AM.
Old 11-16-2002, 03:51 AM
GreekChat Member

From a non-NPHC perspective...

I wanted to post on this earlier, but then Theta Pharoah left, so I didn't. However, after reading Rain Man's post, I couldn't help but to reply.

RM,

I wanted to post to you since I'm not in an NPHC sorority. I hope that maybe this will have an impact on how you feel. But who knows, maybe it won't.
First of all, everything that has been said thus far about the Thetas is indeed the utter truth. I don't think that the criticism is based on the fact that they started a new org or started it at a Denny's (as you said RM, who cares where it started, that's not really important). But it's the site and what's on it that makes me feel that they need to grow up and get it together if they want this org to succeed.

Speaking from personal experience... as a founding member of my chapter and member of a fairly young organization, I have to agree that IF the Thetas want to make a GOOD impression to the public, they need to do better. I'm sorry, but the website they created is pure crap. Just as Kelli said, "plain and simple" the website needs A LOT of work. Yes, they are in undergrad, but to that I say "SO WHAT?"
After my sisters and I established our UNDERGRAD chapter, I became the chapter's webmaster. Now at that time, I was a novice (I had about 6-8 mths experience), but I made DAMN sure that our website represented the sorority in the BEST light possible. First, we made sure that we gave information about our principles, our goals, what we did on campus and what we planned on doing on campus, etc. Second, I made sure that it looked tight!! I wanted it to represent everything that we are about. So regardless of their class standing, they CAN pull off a nice site w/out much design experience. My biggest problems with their site were the song in the beginning (just play a regular song...no need to get "fancy" when the rest of the site is seriously lacking) and their bios. I'm sorry, but that was the most ridiculous thing! Why is all that necessary? Ok, if they want bios, cool. But they really made themselves look silly by telling their: fav artists/ song, most attractive woman, relationship status.....the list goes on. This is NOT important. No one wants to know that! Their site should NOT be a place to try and land themselves a date! It really did seem like a version of Blackplanet when I read all of that.

Their site tells nothing about what they do in the community that Theta Pharoah boasted about several times in his posts on here. If that is the biggest thing about their fraternity, then I would expect it to be ALL over the site. Instead, it reeks of nonsense that would not make anyone interested in wanting to join....unless they are desperate men thinking that if they joined, they could get women ( ), status or whatever!

As I said, everything that has been said about the site, I agree with. I know from firsthand experience that if he wants his org to go far, he's going to have to do MUCH better than that. I know that putting up a well designed, informative website was important to me and my sisters when we started our chapter. If he feels the same, then he needs to do something about that...and quickly! The more people that see that, the more criticism he is going to get about it.
Old 11-16-2002, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: I can stay silent no longer (dramatic, aren't we)

Quote:
Originally posted by 12dn94dst
As for this being handled "poorly and immaturely," well, let me ask you something. Is it immature because most of the replies are criticism, constructive & otherwise? Or is it because most of that criticism comes from members of NPHC organizations? Would the commentary be less immature if these same comments came from people who are not members of any GLO at all?
Good point!!

I am not a member of a GLO and I feel the same way as most others who have posted.

The site is trash.

Should we hold our tongue or say otherwise simply because they "tried"? NO.

They obviously feel that their org is to be taken seriously. Well...with that website representing them, it just ain't gonna happen.

Rain Man, I think you should take of your anti-NPHC blinders and look at this objectively. The criticism is pretty universal, NPHC, GDI, and otherwise. From what we have seen, the org is just lacks depth, class, and professionalism. Notice I said FROM WHAT WE HAVE SEEN.

I agree 100% with ZChi4Life. The website is their presentation to the world. If that's what we are meant to believe their org stands for, then I remain unimpressed.

Quote:
Originally posted by OOhsoflyDelta#9:
Theta Pharoah had alot to say about what was wrong with the existing BGLOs but he has yet to say how they are going to make positive changes in the greek community.....he has classified anyone who doesn't agree with him as a "hater"......he believes he needs to pray for everyone else when he should be praying for guidance and wisdom for himself so that maybe one day after some hardwork and dedication his organization CAN stand proud amongst the Divine 9.
HELLO!!! GREAT point!!!
Old 11-16-2002, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Studio 33 (aka The Bob Barker Studio), CBS Television City
Lightbulb OK, I see your point....

.....regarding Theta's website TO THE EXTENT that IMHO they should have held off on displaying their mission/purpose OR displayed how their mission/purpose is being executed on their website via upcoming events and/or pictures.

As far as their website goes overall, for a Black GLO, it is somewhat typical from what I have seen on other GLO sites. I think that they would have been better served just saying that "we were founded to be a brotherhood of men just kickin' it and having fun" at least until such time as their actual mission/purpose could be demonstrated on their site. That way, they were being honest and realistic and consistent with what was displayed on their site. As for the BlackPlanet thing, I don't surf BP so I don't know really anything about it. Unfortunately, I cannot get sound on this computer, so I couldn't hear the crooning (Librasoul, do Black folks "croon"? I only thought old White folks like Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby actually crooned *LOL* ).

So, after re-reading the Theta website....
My only concern is that this frat was founded with a serious mission up front rather than letting it evolve as the org grew when I don't see any such evidence supporting the purpose. I don't doubt that Theta isn't Takin' Care of Business (TCBing), we just don't see it.

HOWEVER,

I still stand by my discontent for folk complaining that it was founded at Denny's, and that the organization as a whole is crappy. As far as the visual presentation? That's debateable. As far as the org, to be fair, same thing.

Thus, how do I feel now after the replies?

Frankly, I am humbled.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

I'm curious to know if these guys are still active. I didn't see them listed on CAL's registered student org's list. Havent seen them on campus either.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

In all honesty, all of the orgs are businesses that provide a service. This service is brotherhood or sisterhood, longevity, sense of pride, what have you. Even a non-profit must still fulfill a need to make a 'sale'. If you indeed want this organization to succeed, it shouldn't duplicate what is already been done or re-invent the wheel per se. I don't believe in discrediting your efforts, but cliche as it sounds... be seen and not heard. Just think about it, even the newer members of any NPHC org uses/should this as their personal mantra. I gladly STILL do in certain eschelons of my dear sorors.

I come from a family of business owners, in order to plant that seed of a great thing, a legacy that can carry on once you are long gone takes more than just a good idea. It must show its worth through the tests of time, people graduating, maintaining active and financial members, recruiting new members year after year after year after year, growth, etc! The work of the d9 is never done, nor should it be. Sustainability is the core of any "great" business, organization, family, you name it!

Enduring criticism, harsh and negative comments, and pitfalls is what you accept when undertaking becoming great and facing the greatest...If you feel this org can do it, you'd better get to offering something that there is a need for in this genre. This is business as much as it is a sis/bro hood. The sooner you grasp that, you could be one miniscule step closer to whatever it is you are trying to do.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

. . . .with all the hullabaloo this guy caused, i wonder why the page is not there anymore. . . .
Old 05-07-2007, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ziasha07 Send a message via Yahoo to ziasha07
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
I'm curious to know if these guys are still active. I didn't see them listed on CAL's registered student org's list. Havent seen them on campus either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgertown View Post
. . . .with all the hullabaloo this guy caused, i wonder why the page is not there anymore. . . .

I was thinking the exact same things as I read this thread. I wonder if anyone up here can offer an update?
Spring 2009 #5 1000 Words Spring 2010 Beta Class

*Miss Nikon* Colors so vivid, you pose like *click, click*
Old 05-07-2007, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziasha07 View Post
I was thinking the exact same things as I read this thread.
me too. many of the up and coming orgs we discussed 5 years ago are without a website. i wonder how they're doing (yes, really) and i really wonder why they couldn't come up with $65 a year to keep their websites up and running.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12dn94dst View Post
me too. many of the up and coming orgs we discussed 5 years ago are without a website. i wonder how they're doing (yes, really) and i really wonder why they couldn't come up with $65 a year to keep their websites up and running.
yeah, but also think of how many BGLO websites haven't been maintained in years--you go to the site and the chapter officers are from 2002. That's frustrating.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 05-07-2007, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

it is frustrating. hence the niche i wish to serve.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziasha07 View Post
I was thinking the exact same things as I read this thread. I wonder if anyone up here can offer an update?
Here is an update (as of 2006, anyway).

It appears that Theta Phi Psi Fraternity and it's mentoring program became the subject of an individual's doctorate dissertation at North Carolina State University. Quite an interesting read:

http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/theses/avail...ricted/etd.pdf