GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,138
2 members and 1,136 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 03-24-2010, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoyred View Post
It seems like she took what was available, regardless...
In some ways, it would seem like that. Yet she says she did research the different groups to see what fit her personality best. Plus she got a chance to know some of the girls that are already in the sorority. That helps when you have someone that you can look up to that shows a great role-model. It IS the ONLY D9 sorority on campus that has never been suspended for hazing in the 20 years they have been on campus. That definitely speaks highly of that chapter by itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
Learn when to SHUT UP!

You are the OP of the thread to which the current responses are being given. And in fact, you put a different spin on what the first OP asked. She specified first generation college students in reference to the fact that the parents would not understand about Greek Life. As far nte inferences and implication, remember in whose forum you are. If the orgs weren't relevant to us why not name them?
This is an open website that includes many different sororities/fraternities. It is very possible to just look at posts from the top level all over the sites that are from different sororites/fraternities. This one was at the top of the list since it had a recent post. For instance, I recently looked at a post that was in the Dating area b/c it had a recent time stamp on it. I admitted that my sister is trying to join a D9 but never that my mom was in 1. There are many other sororities including multicultural ones that she could be in. Also even IF she was in a D9, that's 12 different combinations of sororities that could fit the category of my mom and sister, ie no way that anyone could know what sorority I am referring to.

Also I would guess that you are a mature person. Maturity does not include telling another grown person to Shut up! You can ask them to be quiet but you aren't my mom, my boss, no one that has authority over me to tell me to shut up. I will continue to speak my mind until I am deemed completely out of character or banned from the site or feel that I am wrong in the situation. And as far as I can see, I have done nothing to be banned from the site and feel as if you guys are taking this way out of proportion that I over-revealed. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it doesn't make it right.

With that being said, thank you to anyone who actually TRIED to answer my question. I will be the mature one here and not reply to this thread.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-25-2010, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDancer20 View Post
In some ways, it would seem like that. Yet she says she did research the different groups to see what fit her personality best. Plus she got a chance to know some of the girls that are already in the sorority. That helps when you have someone that you can look up to that shows a great role-model. It IS the ONLY D9 sorority on campus that has never been suspended for hazing in the 20 years they have been on campus. That definitely speaks highly of that chapter by itself.
There is a myriad of reasons this could be, but I won't go into them. I hope they have other qualities that she admires--like stellar service programs, high academics, tight sisterhood.

Quote:
This is an open website that includes many different sororities/fraternities. It is very possible to just look at posts from the top level all over the sites that are from different sororites/fraternities. This one was at the top of the list since it had a recent post. For instance, I recently looked at a post that was in the Dating area b/c it had a recent time stamp on it. I admitted that my sister is trying to join a D9 but never that my mom was in 1. There are many other sororities including multicultural ones that she could be in. Also even IF she was in a D9, that's 12 different combinations of sororities that could fit the category of my mom and sister, ie no way that anyone could know what sorority I am referring to.

Also I would guess that you are a mature person. Maturity does not include telling another grown person to Shut up! You can ask them to be quiet but you aren't my mom, my boss, no one that has authority over me to tell me to shut up. I will continue to speak my mind until I am deemed completely out of character or banned from the site or feel that I am wrong in the situation. And as far as I can see, I have done nothing to be banned from the site and feel as if you guys are taking this way out of proportion that I over-revealed. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it doesn't make it right.

With that being said, thank you to anyone who actually TRIED to answer my question. I will be the mature one here and not reply to this thread.
Actually, I didn't tell you to shut up. I told you to LEARN when to shut up. RIF

And now you say you will. My job here is done!
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!

Last edited by ladygreek; 03-25-2010 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Now you know that I don't condone hazing (well maybe sometimes ) but that is not what you said earlier. You said that it IS the only sorority not suspended for hazing. Which means that it is the only org currently recognized on campus. This leaves a selection pool of ONE VERY choosy. It seems to me like she just wanted to be Greek so I have no sympathy for her.

If mom gets pissed, then so be it; she needs to take it like a woman and GTFOI. If it really is the org for her then why should she dread telling mom? It is what it is!
Old 04-03-2010, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoyred View Post
Now you know that I don't condone hazing (well maybe sometimes ) but that is not what you said earlier. You said that it IS the only sorority not suspended for hazing. Which means that it is the only org currently recognized on campus. This leaves a selection pool of ONE VERY choosy. It seems to me like she just wanted to be Greek so I have no sympathy for her.

If mom gets pissed, then so be it; she needs to take it like a woman and GTFOI. If it really is the org for her then why should she dread telling mom? It is what it is!

I know I said I was done, but since you brought this up I just thought that I would comment on it. I really do believe that she found the sorority that best matched her personality. Being that it was the only sorority on campus, it gave her a chance to get to know more about that particular sorority then just following the hype of what her friends/parents/cousins/etc did. I know that she did research all the orgs and as far as there not being a big pool, another sorority will be back on campus next year. Therefore if she wanted to do that, she would have easily waited. Not to mention that she went to a school previously that had all 4 so she learned about all 4 during that time too.

And I didn't say my mom would be pissed at her but only hurt. My mom wouldn't be the first parent to want their child to follow his/her footsteps to a greek organization. Who really likes to hurt their parents feelings? Though she did wish that my sister followed her footsteps, she was happy for my sister and traveled over 800 miles (13 hour drive) to be here for my sister's probate show.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
another sorority will be back on campus next year.
And how do you know this?
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 04-05-2010, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Drunk. Like on the dancefloor at a weeding. Just BOOM! Dad! I joined a fraternity!!

I hope someone caught that reference
Old 04-05-2010, 06:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
And how do you know this?

I went with my sister to a forum that gave students a chance to talk to members of all the NPHC back in January. The sororities that were suspended had members of the local graduate chapter talk. The president of that particular alumnae chapter informed the students that the fees were paid and they would be looking into having MIP next year.

I shouldn't have said I KNOW this. Rather that another sorority is no longer suspended and prospected to be back on campus next year.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I just told my mom what I wanted to do.. she said okay. Never really questioned it...