GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 798
0 members and 798 guests
No Members online

Old 03-23-2007, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Am i to old to join a sorority?

I transfered recently to LSU and I am a sophomore. i am 20 years old and i want to join a sorority fall of 07. My roomate tells me im to old to join and that i probably shouldnt pledge. Am i to old? and will i feel to old when i pledge with incoming freshmen?
Old 03-23-2007, 10:16 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chick2007 View Post
Will you be a sophomore or junior when you go through recruitment? I know joining a sorority in the South is more competitive but I don't think you would have too much of a problem.
This isn't just the South.

It's LSU.

People won't tell you if you're too old or not. However, they will say that, based on experience, it's very unlikely that sophomores and juniors get bids at LSU. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, but it's very rare.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm with you. OTW. But does anyone know if LSU has "free" juniors or a separate quota?

I was surprised to find out recently that Alabama has a separate quota for juniors.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:25 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphagamuga View Post
I'm with you. OTW. But does anyone know if LSU has "free" juniors or a separate quota?
You're right.

If they do, I wonder how many of them actually go through rush each year -- especially since it's LSU.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Yep, most PNMs don't need any extra challenges at LSU.

To the OP, if you really want to rush, start trying to get to know girls in the groups. That's probably going to be essential. Also, you may be able to express your interest and ask how many juniors were in the last few pledge classes to get a realistic picture of what your roommate may have been trying to warn you about.

We're not trying to be negative, but many campuses have reputations for competitive recruitments being anything other than a first semester freshman makes it harder. If you really want to do this, you're going to have to figure out how to beat the odds.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I am 20 and I am currently going through my new member period. I am a transfer in my third year but lost credits in the transfer process so I may be here an extra year. I had no problem going through recruitment and there are a few girls my age and older in my pledge class and I know in the fall alot of juniors went through. Granted, I go to a large school, but greek life isn't as big of a deal here as it is at other schools. But it is always worth it to give it a try.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:25 AM
GreekChat Member

I was 20 when I decided to go through recruitment. My first couple years of college I was dead set on the idea that a sorority was just not for me and that there was no reason to join one....
When I got to my junior year I started meeting a lot of people from all the different fraternities and sororities and realized that Greek Life isn't anything near what I thought it was. I decided to sign up for recruitment and I got into my sorority of choice.
Being older has its ups and downs...
Down: Some orgs may not want people who are going to be graduating sooner rather than later. I don't know why, but I saw that with a couple of the groups I went to.
Up: When you tell the girls that you've been here for a couple years, [I think] they see that you're not just in it for the parties and social stuff because you've already been doing that, just with different people. They see that you want to be in a sorority for the deeper meaning of it- the bonds, the loyalty, all that stuff.

The way I see it is that it's never too late to give it a shot.
I completely recommend it.

Best of luck!

Θ Φ Α

Old 03-24-2007, 08:14 AM
GreekChat Member

No one can stop her from trying, but she needs to be realistic. We may think that there shouldn't be anything wrong with juniors rushing; however, THIS IS LSU. It does not help telling her that she should rush if you don't go to that school or even a "southern school" (and i am mainly referring to Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, and even Florida to an extent).

I am in agreement with those that say it will be tough, but you are just going to have to work harder in showing your interest and getting your name out there. Also, look for recommendations. And find out if it is even possible for juniors to get bids. If it is rare, then you may want to think about whether you really want to even try to rush. I am not trying to discourage you, just be realistic to what the possiblities are for you.

Last edited by smiley21; 03-24-2007 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Recearch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gat07 View Post
I transfered recently to LSU and I am a sophomore. i am 20 years old and i want to join a sorority fall of 07. My roomate tells me im to old to join and that i probably shouldnt pledge. Am i to old? and will i feel to old when i pledge with incoming freshmen?

quote- you really need to do more recearch on this.
Good luck.?
Old 03-24-2007, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

As everyone else has said, LSU recruitment can be painful even for a freshman, so it's going to be tough for you if you go through as an upperclassman. As long as you are willing to look at EVERY option and you are aware that it will be difficult, you might as well rush (you never know what will happen!). However, as far as the feeling older thing goes, you may or may not... it depends on YOU. If you have similar interests/priorities to your 18-19 year old pledge sisters, you should get along and be fine... we can all have friends who are older and younger than us! But if you have very different priorities from your pledge sisters (e.g. you have a difficult load of major courses and going to every social is not high on your list), it can be difficult... it's hard to feel included when you aren't on the same page when it comes to interests/priorities.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ChildoftheHorn
Wink It still will be hard...

I will say that it will be difficult. I go to a school where it is divided about who will even take sophmores. There are really only about half of them that will even consider it, and about three that don't look down at the pledges that are older. I even go to a northern school with 11 panhel orgs. You may want to consider non-affiliated or local orgs. as well as greek service organizations.

Just remember that being greek is not your only option at finding a tight-knit group of people. I know of many different groups that act as brotherhoods or sisterhoods on our campus. I would look at things related to your major or a special interest of yours. Heck, I am even a part of a group like that which has girls who are affiliated and who are not - we do service work/help each other/etc. just like a lot of greek orgs. do. The main differences are that there is no formal code of conduct, house, or secrecy. We do have regular meetings, yearly dues ($25), and everything listed above. The org. is related to my major though......but yours doesn't have to be!
Old 03-24-2007, 09:03 PM

I pledged at 20, but the school I go to is not as competitive. LSU is a very competitive rush. It is very unlikely that you'd receive a bid.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Heck I'm worried about possibly rushing at UNF or USF, I wouldn't even consider a school with a rough rush process like FSU and definitely not LSU or any other old world Southern school unless I was a 4.0 student, a quadruple legacy with a family member that founded the national org. Sorry to be rough, but I went through rush at an slightly tough school and didn't get a bid, but went through all four days. Sorry to be rough, but I know what you are going through because I have always dreamed of joining a sorority.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocalagirl View Post
I have always dreamed of joining a sorority.
Ocalagirl:

Please don't think I'm trying to be rude by asking. But if you wanted to be in a sorority so badly, why didn't you list the groups you preffed? Do you regret the decisions you made during recruitment?

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Ocalagirl:

Please don't think I'm trying to be rude by asking. But if you wanted to be in a sorority so badly, why didn't you list the groups you preffed? Do you regret the decisions you made during recruitment?
No when I did list them after I went through, but I went back and edited because I went to informal rush parties for one of the groups I preffed and thought it was appropriate that their names be taken out. Also I was looking into two other groups when I was on campus and thought it was appropriate to take them off. I can go back and put the names back on if you would like.