GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,650
0 members and 1,650 guests
No Members online

Old 03-02-2009, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

wanting to rush but totally confused

I am so sorry if there is a post floating around on here that pertains to this, but I am new to this and I didn't have a chance to look through all the threads...
I have been accepted to college of Charleston for fall 09 and I am looking forward to rushing in the fall but I have NO idea where I start and what I am supposed to do...I know that I have the grades (I’m coming in from a community college) and all of that....

I hear about Legacies...well, my sister is a legacy in Gamma Phi Beta, but my university doesn’t have a gamma phi beta chapter so is the legacy then forgotten? To me it seems like it would be since her chapter isn’t there....

rec letters! no idea where to begin with that...and I have seen that some sororities require a picture along with the rec letter, is that normal?

my sister said that it’s a good idea to just rush "one"...THE one you KNOW you want, while I heard from someone else it’s a good idea to rush ALL of them....thing is I dont know which ONE I want and I think it might be a better idea to rush them all anyway...

I would be extremely willing to listen to some advice about this, because according to my school I can’t call the Greek life office until registration for recruitment starts in June, and I have a lot of questions that I want to get answered before I register....
thanks so much!!
Old 03-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinamoon08 View Post
I am so sorry if there is a post floating around on here that pertains to this, but I am new to this and I didn't have a chance to look through all the threads...
You really should look through the threads before posting. PNMs often find answers to their questions, especially in the stickied threads from the Recruitment Forums.

Quote:
I have been accepted to college of Charleston for fall 09 and I am looking forward to rushing in the fall but I have NO idea where I start and what I am supposed to do...I know that I have the grades (I’m coming in from a community college) and all of that....

Read the stickied threads in the Recruitment Forums. That's a good place to start.

Quote:
I hear about Legacies...well, my sister is a legacy in Gamma Phi Beta, but my university doesn’t have a gamma phi beta chapter so is the legacy then forgotten? To me it seems like it would be since her chapter isn’t there....
Since Gamma Phi Beta is not at the CofC, you are not a legacy to any of the sororities there.

Quote:
rec letters! no idea where to begin with that...and I have seen that some sororities require a picture along with the rec letter, is that normal?
Yes, that is considered normal, especially when they get tons of rec letters from PNMs. It's a good way to keep track of PNMs. Ask your teachers, family friends, your relatives, even your sister. Surely she has friends in other sororities, right?

Quote:
my sister said that it’s a good idea to just rush "one"...THE one you KNOW you want, while I heard from someone else it’s a good idea to rush ALL of them....thing is I dont know which ONE I want and I think it might be a better idea to rush them all anyway...
Your sister is 100% incorrect. PNMs should always go into rush with an open mind and not have their heart set on just one or two houses. Doing that just sets you up for disappointment. Consider all sororities when going into rush. You'll be glad you did.

Quote:
I would be extremely willing to listen to some advice about this, because according to my school I can’t call the Greek life office until registration for recruitment starts in June, and I have a lot of questions that I want to get answered before I register....
Quote:
thanks so much!!
Read, read, read the advice given in the General Advice thread and get your recs in order.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:11 PM

If you're confused, start here:

http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=54403

It's alot of reading, but it will answer 99% of the questiions you have.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

You are correct that since your sister's GLO is not on that campus then your "legacy" status is irrelavent. Based on what your sister said I assume she joined via informal recruitment where you can pick and choose which group's events you go to. Am I correct that Charleston has a formal recruitment? In a formal recruitment each PNM attends every chapter for the first round. After that it is (usually) by invitation.

Since you are transferring from a community college I assume that means you will not be considered a freshman. Bear in mind on some campuses and/or for some orgs, this may limit your choices. For others it is doesn't matter a bit. Hopefully someone else who knows about this campus can address that.

It seems very strange to me that you would be told you cannot even call the Greek Life to ask questions until after registering. I'd say call anyways. They ought to be able to field general process questions such as when, where, etc. That's part of their job year round IMO.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Register when you can. Start looking for alumnae to write you recs.
Quote:
You are correct that your legacy doesn't mean anything to chapters. They are only bound to give special consideration to their own legacies. However, it could be good to bring up that your sister is a Gamma Phi Beta, because it shows that (or at least many people would assume that) you are knowledgable about what Greek life entails (time committment, meaning, values, etc). And because Gamma Phi Beta is not at CofC, you won't have to worry about getting cut because people will assume you'll go to your legacy chapter, as we sometimes hear.
Quote:
Try your hardest to find recs through your own network. You have plenty of time to ask around and find personal contacts.
Ask:
teachers
activity sponsors/coaches/other school staff
friends of your sister
sisters/mothers of your friends
parents' friends
older friends
women from your place of worship
coworkers
families you babysit for

The best people to start with would be Greek women you already know even if their org doesn't have a chapter at CofC, because often, they may know of Greeks who are alumnae of orgs that DO have a chapter at CofC. Also, do ask men. They may know of Greek women too.

Typically, when trying to obtain recs, you'll want to:
1. Ask in person or over the phone.
2. Give your recommender a packet with your unofficial transcript, a "resume" of activities/jobs/accomplishments/etc. with a description of what each entails, your picture, a stamped envelope addressed to the chapter, any special instructions (deadlines, what needs to be sent, etc) and anything else your recommender requests.
3. Write a thank you note to your recommender.

Recs from women who know you personally are best. Recs from a friend of someone you know are good too, though they might want to interview you (lunch, coffee, etc). Only when you've exhausted your personal network should you contact the Alumnae Panhellenic in city in which you live. There will be women who can write you recs, and they may also want to interview you first. Keep in mind that Alumnae Panhellenics often have deadlines for when recs can be requested, so you might want to call and find out if that applies and when it is.
Quote:
Terrible, terrible advice by your sister. If you go through formal recruitment, you'll have to visit all chapters for which you have an invitation and room in your schedule anyway. Keep as open of a mind as possible.
Quote:
I can't imagine why a Greek Life office wouldn't let people call with questions. Read the "General Advice" thread. It's really comprehensive and it even has a table of contents so you can see what is in it. Ask us on GC any questions you may have. Then, call the Greek Life office if you can't find answers to your questions or if we can't answer them.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks so much for all of the advice, and like i said sorry it was a repeated question....i didnt have the time to scan the pages and find where it might have been somewhere else since i was at school....
thanks so much again!
Old 03-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

You are correct that your legacy doesn't mean anything to chapters. They are only bound to give special consideration to their own legacies. However, it could be good to bring up that your sister is a Gamma Phi Beta, because it shows that (or at least many people would assume that) you are knowledgable about what Greek life entails (time committment, meaning, values, etc). And because Gamma Phi Beta is not at CofC, you won't have to worry about getting cut because people will assume you'll go to your legacy chapter, as we sometimes hear.

you took the words right out of my mouth!
Old 03-03-2009, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

I would add that you need to make sure you are not a legacy at another GLO. Ask about aunts, cousins and grandmothers. My daughter did not find out until after rush that she was a legacy to Gamma Phi Beta through her grandmother because we never thought to ask!